I am a bit surprised...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":w8yauukb said:
The fact that we aren't hearing anything at all makes me think that negotiations are ongoing. It is weird that they are taking so long though.

I don't pretend to know what Pete's goals are. I do have a hunch that Seattle won't be the last team he coaches, and that he'd probably like to end things in California. Going to another NFL team, especially one in the division, seems like a big stretch. It would tarnish the most impressive chapter of coaching his legacy. But then again, Pete is always signing short contract extensions in Seattle, which has me wondering if he's big into keeping his options open. He came to Seattle on a lark, I wouldn't totally rule out him leaving on a lark either.
I don't know that its all that weird. We didn't hear about the last extensions until well after they were done and in-place.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":2f1xh1kl said:
The fact that we aren't hearing anything at all makes me think that negotiations are ongoing. It is weird that they are taking so long though.

I don't pretend to know what Pete's goals are. I do have a hunch that Seattle won't be the last team he coaches, and that he'd probably like to end things in California. Going to another NFL team, especially one in the division, seems like a big stretch. It would tarnish the most impressive chapter of coaching his legacy. But then again, Pete is always signing short contract extensions in Seattle, which has me wondering if he's big into keeping his options open. He came to Seattle on a lark, I wouldn't totally rule out him leaving on a lark either.

I don't know that I can really agree that coming to Seattle was a "lark" for Pete. He loved USC (and still does). He was a USC fan growing up, and he achieved amazing things there. But there was always an itch to scratch about seeing whether he could have the same level of success in the NFL if he could truly do it his way. He simply had gotten to the point where he didn't think any team would give him exactly what he wanted. The Seattle offer came out of the blue, but once he realized it fit all his requirements, I think he pretty much felt compelled to take it and give it everything he had.

I will never rule out Pete coming back to CA, but I suspect he'll ride keep riding this Seahawks gig until he simply tires of it—and I'm not getting the sense he's tired yet.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Perhaps one contract is done (Pete?) and they're negotiating a bit more with the other before announcing both?

Because if one gets announced and the other doesn't -- it looks a bit weird and fuels even more speculation.

Just thinking out loud.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":17b4a57j said:
Perhaps one contract is done (Pete?) and they're negotiating a bit more with the other before announcing both?

Because if one gets announced and the other doesn't -- it looks a bit weird and fuels even more speculation.

Just thinking out loud.

Pretty much what I said in the above post.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":28p6h2by said:

Just thinking out loud.
I think you're overshooting and should relax but it's a possibility. One I don't accept right now, but possible.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":xe5ducwg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":xe5ducwg said:

Just thinking out loud.

Good for you.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3pvjhzvz said:
Training Camp is a natural deadline and agents and lawyers love to use deadlines to get things done. So I think there's some time before it's time to worry a little. I expect resolution may come pretty quickly but if not then there MIGHT be some reason to worry a bit.

Bingo, I was going to say the same exact thing. NOTHING happens it seems in todays NFL without a deadline driving it. Look at the recent deals (Von Miller, Mo Wilkerson, Justin Tucker) They all were signed at the last minute before the tag deadline. The NFL works on deadlines.

So if we think training camp is the deadline for the deals for js/pc, then thats when they will get done.

OR i could be totally wrong and the deals have been done for weeks and they just didn't announce them, exactly like what happened last time around.

AVL

Reaction score
What's the big deal? Management contracts are seldom announced at signing. Panther's announcement was 4 months late for Rivera. They do it when it suites. Last time our guys signed it wasn't "hold the presses" either.

Where the hell they gonna go unless the packers clean house? Talking Pete to the rams makes Clayton look like an idiot.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":25yy6fqi said:
chris98251":25yy6fqi said:
theENGLISHseahawk":25yy6fqi said:

Just thinking out loud.

Good for you.

Why yes it was..................

kearly

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":30cneqr5 said:
kearly":30cneqr5 said:

I don't know that its all that weird. We didn't hear about the last extensions until well after they were done and in-place.

Well, the previous Carroll extension was signed in early April. The last JS extension was signed in June. Mike Holmgren signed his last extension in May. So this is pretty much the latest the Seahawks have gone in signing a coach/FO extension in at least a couple decades. And this deadline flirting is occurring for BOTH our HC and GM at the same time which makes it all the more unique of a situation. Like Mizzou I am not yet at the point of worrying, however this is certainly out of the norm.

kearly

Reaction score
sc85sis":32ok9l2a said:
I will never rule out Pete coming back to CA, but I suspect he'll ride keep riding this Seahawks gig until he simply tires of it—and I'm not getting the sense he's tired yet.

That's exactly how I feel. Which is why I am surprised the extensions weren't announced ages ago.

As far as Pete moving, I'm not trying to suggest he is fickle, but I also don't think he is afraid of packing up and taking on new challenges. Of course, he'd have to be completely insane to walk away from this Seahawks team which is on the path to historic greatness.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kearly":1up5c97d said:

While he was at USC, Pete had several coaching offers from the NFL, but never took any of them because the situation wasn't right. He only took the Seattle job because he was able to get everything he wanted in a prospective NFL situation. He has established himself and his family in Seattle, and he's only part-way into "winning forever" with the Seahawks.

In order for him to leave the Seahawks and go back to California, it would have to be a situation that is even more perfect for him than the Seahawks job represented when he took it. I just don't see that happening. He's building a legacy with the Seahawks in Seattle, and I think that means a lot more to him than anything California could offer him.

theENGLISHseahawk":1up5c97d said:
IDitto John Schneider. Unless he's been sounded out about taking over in Green Bay next year it makes little sense not to just get the new deal done.

So maybe Schneider is going to GB and maybe Pete retires?

But that doesn't seem all that likely either.

John Schneider is also settled in Seattle. That doesn't mean he can't move if he wants to, but wherever he goes is going to have to offer at least as good of care for his autistic child as what is available in the Seattle area. I don't think Green Bay has that to offer.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
How many elite coaches and GMs have ever actually played out a lame duck season? It never happens. These extensions should be no brainiers. It is truly bizzare they haven't already been signed, and it camp gets here and they still haven't been signed it's time to really worry, because it means there is some sort of major roadblock.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure Brock Huard said he expects Schneiders deal to be done by this weekend and if he didn't he' be shocked. Didn't say anything about Pete though.

Hopefully he knows something.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't see him going anywhere. He has a team loaded with talent, he has a great fanbase here, and he has an owner that gives him everything he wants (Tom Cable, John Schneider, VMAC, etc, etc). He'd be hard pressed to find anything approaching that anywhere else.

Just thinking as a parent, since Pete has accomplished Championships at the College and Pro level, he's probably thinking about how to propel his kids in to successful careers, and the PNW is a great place to do that from.

summesm

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":uzixn4lp said:
How many elite coaches and GMs have ever actually played out a lame duck season? It never happens. These extensions should be no brainiers. It is truly bizzare they haven't already been signed, and it camp gets here and they still haven't been signed it's time to really worry, because it means there is some sort of major roadblock.
I agree . Thi s no brainier I would think. Why has it drug out this far into the off season. My opinion is there is already a road block with one or both . Hope I am wrong but real strange.