I am sick of Luke Willson

-The Glove-

Reaction score
gulliver":1gfddxa3 said:
This thread in a nutshell:

Anti-Luke: this player is imperfect--CUT HIM!!

Pro-Luke: Anybody who disagrees with me isn't a "real" Seahawk fan!
Not one person has said "cut him"...most are just expressing their frustration with his inconsistency and "brainfarts"

drdiags

Reaction score
He was a late round pick, who is a project. Maybe if the team hadn't cut MIller's contract down he would have toughed it out like Chancellor? To me Willson was intended to sit behind Miller, McCoy and possibly some other TE to get his body and mind right.

Maybe the team goes out and tries to bring in V Davis? They did check into Finley before moving on. Would love to have a monster TE and #1 WR but so far isn't in the cards.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Last week he saved me from "sit this kid NOW and let Moeaki take his snaps". Today, eeek. He better beat RW to the VMAC EVERY day for the duration of the playoffs. Seems like a cool kid to take bong rips with and run around Capital Hill hound doggin college whores.
And if that makes me a 'fairweather fan' then ....

[youtube]Si186d57Ra4[/youtube]

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
gulliver":2ex6qy7p said:

Or those that have a broader view of games that don't rely on a TA for an entire game.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Luke made three EXCELLENT plays the week before. I'll give him a pass. Hopefully he comes up big in the playoffs.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":17gg1yee said:
TeamoftheCentury":17gg1yee said:
Ok, this might get some backlash. I was ticked he didn't reel in those passes as well. But, in his defense (gulp)... both passes were a little high. Catchable? Yes. So, no excuses there. That first one looked like he didn't jump soon enough for as much mustard Wilson put on that pass. I would have liked Wilson to put that in his chest (instead of high where it could have gotten tipped by Willson and intercepted.) The other one seemed like there was too much heat on that and still a bit high. Not sure what was so difficult about putting that in a more catchable spot.

Love (QB) Wilson and I'm one of the guys who called him Elite before this season (and still stick to that.) Having said all that... yes, Willson has still got to make those catches. Perhaps a learning experience for him and something the coaches can get on him about since they need to count on him in the playoffs. I think the kid can do it.

As far as the other TE... Loved how Moeaki secured the ball even though he went down.
Those are catches an NFL caliber TE must make, slightly high or not.
And I essentially said that. Again... "Catchable? Yes." ( = NFL TE must make those.) All I'm saying is as much as we put them on a pedestal... these guys are human. Willson would not be where he's at if he was completely incapable of making those catches. He can and he will. The point of my post was to say... yeah, I don't like that he didn't make the grabs, but I can see how he didn't. Watch enough football (as I'm sure you do) and you see even the best missing passes like those from time to time.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
On that 2nd pass to Luke it looked like it was right there for him to catch, it was right in his facemask. People should know that Wilson will throw to where only his guys can get it, sometimes it's almost like a 50/50 catch especially when he lets it rip.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Its all about confidence, and getting the amount of touches. No matter how much you practice, live games are the only place you gain and build confidence. I think he has a slower rate of growth in catching, but he is blocking really well with his physical size and technique. It's not easy to be a blocking and catching TE and expect to be exemplary in 2 years. If ours was more a passing offense and not a run first offense, he would learned faster to catch balls but might not learn how to block. Give the kid time, the coaches are investing him for a reason, lets all encourage him and help him get better.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":s5n8fefd said:
On that 2nd pass to Luke it looked like it was right there for him to catch, it was right in his facemask. People should know that Wilson will throw to where only his guys can get it, sometimes it's almost like a 50/50 catch especially when he lets it rip.
hmmmm - if that's the same pass I'm thinking of (he only dropped 2 - important - passes, correct?), I remember it being thrown higher and led a bit too much. I don't recall a pass right to his facemask. That would be pretty much on target. Without analyzing it to death... I'm going to stick to my initial opinion, though. Yeah, he should of caught them. But, he didn't.

I've questioned one of my football playing sons after a game about why he dropped a pass. Once I saw the same film the coaches see later, I could see how and his explanation makes more sense. (Not making excuses, just the actual why he didn't catch it - which players can learn from and improve.) You like to see them not miss any potential reception when there's any chance whatsoever to make a catch (especially when they are known for having good hands.) But, looks a lot easier from where we sit - and it's a heckuva lot easier to be a simplistic critic. (not a label directed at you here in reply. Just a general statement pertaining to all of us observers from where we sit.)

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Ugh... I am sorry guys. I am sorry, Luke. I shouldn't post from the Clink following bad plays. I'm glad he's a Hawk. There was a lot of frustration in that first half and it spilled over and led to a stupid post. I happily accept the flaming and will tone it down in the future.

Again, my bad and my sincere apologies. Don't hold a heat of the moment post against me, please.

Go Hawks!

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":2twrwxeg said:
I'm sick of fair weather fans.

Yeah, but this... This is BS, my friend. That's not what that was. Just a lot of mounting frustration.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":39vzfy32 said:
ZorntoLargent":39vzfy32 said:
I'm sick of fair weather fans.
Indeed

Let's just go ahead and stop this. I deserve the beating for overreacting about Luke Willson's drops but my first Seahawks game was Largent's 100th TD reception against the Bengals in 1989, when I was 7. A game I watched with my now deceased dad. So beat me up for overreacting, but cut the fair weather crap out. Pretty sure the only person who knows me personally here is austin, so no need to make comments about my fandom.

morgulon1

Reaction score
-The Glove-":wia8f9bc said:
gulliver":wia8f9bc said:

Not one person has said "cut him"...most are just expressing their frustration with his inconsistency and "brainfarts"

This.

The whole "he's a project give him a break" argument is invalid no matter how well he did last week. He is listed as a
tight end on an NFL team. They pay him to catch passes that are thrown to him. Pretty simple job description. If he is
an intern or some other type of experiment I'll take back what I've said. Im not saying I want to leave him at the bus stop either, I want him to not drop catchable passes. That is all.

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I'm gonna re-watch the game later tonight so I'll have a better feel for how everyone did in a few hours when I can rewind certain plays etc...

But you guys realize Willson was only targeted 4 times right? You guys are acting like he had an absolutely awful game when really he was 2/4 with a long of 28 yards...

Kearse has had much worst games like against Oakland he was 1/7 for 4 yards and nobody seemed to notice...

For some reason it seems like Russell Wilson always throws the ball just slightly out of Luke Willson's comfort zone. They always seem to be really high and too far out in front. The same phenomenon could be witnessed for Bryan Walters, it happened so consistently with Walters it almost seemed like Russell was doing it on purpose...

Maybe it's just a random fluke but it seems to me that Russell Wilson has been inconsistent with his accuracy this year compared to his previous two. I'm not sure if it's because he's taken so many hits or what but it seems like you never really know what you're going to get with his ball placement, although he's still capable to throw absolutely beautiful perfect balls with regularity... he just seems to have a lot more "slightly off" or "bad" balls this season. Wilson's completion rate has declined each year he's been in the league although 2013/2014 are almost identical.

It's funny though how everyone is freaking out about Luke Willson's catch rate but it seems like I'm the only one who is equally critical of Kearse. In reality both Kearse and Willson have SERIOUS problems catching the ball.

Willson career Catch rate = 42/66 (63.6%)
Kearse career Catch Rate = 63/114 (55.3%)

Although Kearse statistically has a lower catch rate I think Willson has even worst hands even though Russell seems to misplace so many throws for Luke while he generally lays dimes for Kearse. I guess I'm splitting hairs though they both struggle to catch the ball, end of story...

I don't know why Kearse struggles, but to me it seems like Willson is just trying too hard to catch the ball, like he's trying so hard he's psyching himself out... he appears "stiff" like another poster said. It's like he's trying to place his hands exactly in the perfect position and grasp the ball mechanically instead of just relaxing and letting the ball find it's home.

I've found myself suffer from similar phenomenon, I've thrown the football around quite a bit in the summer. And last time I played I was drinking a beer in left hand and catching with my right... when I first started I was dropping the ball a lot (trying too hard). But once I got really drunk and totally relaxed and loosened up I was catching everything one handed effortlessly... So Willson needs to find a way to calm the hell down or get drunk for the games to catch the ball :th2thumbs:

BAJAHAWK

Reaction score
I am sure you were sick of him last week too when he had 139 yards and 2 TD's. MAN I WAS SCREAMING AT THE TV saying NO!!!!! YOUR SUPOSE TO DROP THE BALL!!!!

:sarcasm_on:

Sure he is no Zach Miller but he can make plays time to time. Plus he is a Canadian so he's cool eh. :thirishdrinkers:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":wxrqm1s1 said:
Ok, this might get some backlash. I was ticked he didn't reel in those passes as well. But, in his defense (gulp)... both passes were a little high. Catchable? Yes. So, no excuses there. That first one looked like he didn't jump soon enough for as much mustard Wilson put on that pass. I would have liked Wilson to put that in his chest (instead of high where it could have gotten tipped by Willson and intercepted.) The other one seemed like there was too much heat on that and still a bit high. Not sure what was so difficult about putting that in a more catchable spot.
Luke hasn't shown us that he can catch balls that are near the end of his reach.

He currently has a rather tight catch radius.

Hopefully that can be improved with additional coaching.

As others have pointed out, he plays stiff and isn't a natural ball-catcher.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
BAJAHAWK":2ii82jg4 said:
I am sure you were sick of him last week too when he had 139 yards and 2 TD's. MAN I WAS SCREAMING AT THE TV saying NO!!!!! YOUR SUPOSE TO DROP THE BALL!!!!

:sarcasm_on:

Sure he is no Zach Miller but he can make plays time to time. Plus he is a Canadian so he's cool eh. :thirishdrinkers:

If "can make plays time to time" is the qualification for being above criticism, everything should be sunshine and rainbows after every game, win or lose.

Obviously I'm happy when he manages to make a play, and was happy about his plays against Arizona, but what I said to people after that game was that I was happy he did so well, and that I hoped it was a breakout, but that it was a series of big plays against a gambling Arizona team who is obsessed with blitzing and thus leaves their nose open to getting burned on hot reads, and that it might not be representative of what we would see again going forward.

I feel safer with targets going not only at Zach Miller, but at Helfet and Moeaki as well. Willson isn't horrible, but he just isn't very good or very reliable.