I dont understand Bevell...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SaskHawk":nj2mi5gd said:
pehawk":nj2mi5gd said:
On Wilson's TD to Baldwin, Bevell called 3 WR's to the corner...short side...basically causing a hail mary pile...? Huh, what?

4th and goal at the 1...they run a timing pattern with Russell Wilson at QB? So, he chose the absolute worst thing they do offensively over the best thing...Wilson in space?

4th and 1 in the 4th...you have a 4th string center and you run behind him vs Poe? Really?

Last drive. Again, they go rhythm, prototypical passing game the absolute WEAKNESS of this team. They never, ever attempt a boot to give Russ a shot to get easy yards. No attempt, none.

The run game was there all game, but look up titles, Cable's the run game coordinator. That's to his credit. Bevell calls the worst games, situationally, I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing fits this teams strengths or heaven forbid what the defense is giving them.

I'm sick to my stomach.

Fully agree, those 4th down calls were bad! Wilson was making things happen outside which of course would open up the run, so why not keep with it? We played to KC's strength today imo.
Yep, Bevell was thinking that he was going to outsmart Andy Reid......What a dumb shit dork.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rastahawk":357mwg6d said:
Bevell is a recurring theme on losses. Getting so damned tired of it. Not saying it for the sake of looking for a scapegoat. Just calling it because its screaming at me on the TV. Apparently we can't design goal line offensive plays. Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson are the only reason why this guy is still employed here. Run this crap anywhere else and we have at most two wins.
Minni. caught on to his lack of imagination play calls, but we just won the Super Bowl with this clown in the drivers seat.
I pray that his luck is running out, and that Pete will FIX the damned problem this off Season ,and bring in a REAL Offensive Coach.

AgentDib

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3265qu2e said:
Yep, Bevell was thinking that he was going to outsmart Andy Reid......What a dumb shit dork.
You may know this already but Reid handles their defense about as much as Holmgren used to manage our defense. Bob Sutton is responsible for the defensive scheme and play calling. He was with the Jets prior to Reid's arrival in KC when their defense sucked under Mangini but stuck around when Rex showed up as a position coach but also a defensive assistant. It's hard to separate his contributions from the outside but Sutton seems solid but not brilliant.

gulliver

Reaction score
I'm not what you would call a Bevell fan, but for most of the game I respected what he was doing. We actually ran more than we passed today, and until today, we had not lost a game where we tried that. And indeed, it was working--we won the rushing battle, we kept our D off the field and won the TOP battle, etc.

Coming into the game, we knew KC had a ferocious pass rush. We knew that we don't pass well. We also knew that we run pretty well, and they can't defend the run very well. Knowing that, I thought Bevell called an OK game... until the end.

What drove me crazy was that we got the ball back with 6 minutes to go (with timeouts), and again with 3 minutes to go (no timeouts, but the 2 minute warning). In both cases, plenty of time to throw in some rushes to keep them honest. But here's what we did:

Ball on the KC 45 - Hawks going for the win:

1st down: Pass play - why? Get some MF'ing yards here to make 2nd, 3rd and 4th manageable
2nd down: Run play
3rd down: Pass play
4th down: Run play

Turnover on downs, then a defensive stand

Another try, on our own goal line with about 3 minutes and the 2-minute warning on the clock:

1st down: pass play
2nd down: pass play
3rd down: pass play, 1st down
2nd down: pass play, sack
3rd down: pass play
4th down: pass play

So with 11 chances in our final 2 drives, and with time to mix in runs (except during the very final play(s)), we chose to go more than 80-20 passing, and play right into their strength and into our own weakness. Obviously you had to have passing mixed in as time wound down, but there's no excuse for scrapping the game plan, and playing EXACTLY what they want you to play when there is time left on the board. And I don't want to hear about run blocking, because pass blocking is an even worse situation requiring the OL to hold their blocks even longer.

If we stuck to the plan, we could have potentially won and for sure broken their "no rushing TDs allowed" record. Getting cute on goal line situations was tolerable as long as it was working, but it made me angry as hell to walk away from the game plan that had served us so well because Bevell sh-ts his pants on come from behind situations.

Would have also loved to see more RO stuff, which I suspect we capped because--and this is where we're so clever--we saw a lot of Russell running last week and we thought they would expect it this week. I know people don't want Russell hurt (neither do I), but we are at the point now where we could miss the playoffs entirely. We have nothing else to lean on right now other than the ground game, so until we get our OL right, I'd rather take some chances than have all the players healthy and watching the playoffs from their own couches. The point of the sport is to win, after all.

Schadie001

Reaction score
You have a 280lb Fullback and a Beast that was tearing it up. Why on earth do you not have a monster package in and run over the left side for a dam yard at the goal line. That was by far 2 of the worst calls with the game on the line I've seen. It cost us the game. If you need a yard you need ground movers in there, not a single back and you sure as hell don't through a dam fade. TERRIBLE.

Abach

Reaction score
gulliver":1kka0ilu said:
I'm not what you would call a Bevell fan, but for most of the game I respected what he was doing. We actually ran more than we passed today, and until today, we had not lost a game where we tried that. And indeed, it was working--we won the rushing battle, we kept our D off the field and won the TOP battle, etc.

Coming into the game, we knew KC had a ferocious pass rush. We knew that we don't pass well. We also knew that we run pretty well, and they can't defend the run very well. Knowing that, I thought Bevell called an OK game... until the end.

What drove me crazy was that we got the ball back with 6 minutes to go (with timeouts), and again with 3 minutes to go (no timeouts, but the 2 minute warning). In both cases, plenty of time to throw in some rushes to keep them honest. But here's what we did:

Ball on the KC 45 - Hawks going for the win:

1st down: Pass play - why? Get some MF'ing yards here to make 2nd, 3rd and 4th manageable
2nd down: Run play
3rd down: Pass play
4th down: Run play

Turnover on downs, then a defensive stand

Another try, on our own goal line with about 3 minutes and the 2-minute warning on the clock:

2nd down: pass play
3rd down: pass play, 1st down
2nd down: pass play, sack
3rd down: pass play
4th down: pass play

So with 11 chances in our final 2 drives, and with time to mix in runs (except during the very final play(s)), we chose to go more than 80-20 passing, and play right into their strength and into our own weakness. Obviously you had to have passing mixed in as time wound down, but there's no excuse for scrapping the game plan, and playing EXACTLY what they want you to play when there is time left on the board. And I don't want to hear about run blocking, because pass blocking is an even worse situation requiring the OL to hold their blocks even longer.

If we stuck to the plan, we could have potentially won and for sure broken their "no rushing TDs allowed" record. Getting cute on goal line situations was tolerable as long as it was working, but it made me angry as hell to walk away from the game plan that had served us so well because Bevell sh-ts his pants on come from behind situations.

Would have also loved to see more RO stuff, which I suspect we capped because--and this is where we're so clever--we saw a lot of Russell running last week and we thought they would expect it this week. I know people don't want Russell hurt (neither do I), but we are at the point now where we could miss the playoffs entirely. We have nothing else to lean on right now other than the ground game, so until we get our OL right, I'd rather take some chances than have all the players healthy and watching the playoffs from their own couches. The point of the sport is to win, after all.
Agree with this 100%.

kearly

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":d9kdrvjp said:
Hawk_Nation":d9kdrvjp said:
If I see another bubble screen Im going to vomit.

IT DOESNT WORK

Literally never.

[youtube]0XGOzFmPfKY[/youtube]

Throw them to Lynch and I'm all for it.

Throw them to pretty much anyone else and you'll have one good play in five tries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm sure Bevell would LOVE to not have to call 3-4 bubble screens a game, but it's a product of an O-line not being able to give it's QB more than half a second to throw and a WR corp that can't get open.

THAT'S why you call bubble screens, not because they're amazingly effective.

marko358

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fudiay2s said:
I'm sure Bevell would LOVE to not have to call 3-4 bubble screens a game, but it's a product of an O-line not being able to give it's QB more than half a second to throw and a WR corp that can't get open.

There was very little pressure from KC until the last couple of drives, after Unger went down.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tngxzlk8 said:

Teams usually use the bubble screen as a check down option when they lack an effective running game. The check down was available because the SLB stayed inside the box. I think it's silly to run this play when you have a dominant game like we do.