I dont understand Bevell...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Zeb, you couldn't find a Bevell-called fade for a TD AND TJ! throwing it?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":qp2mivb8 said:
austinslater25":qp2mivb8 said:
Zebulon Dak":qp2mivb8 said:
FWIW I didn't like the fade either. Then again I rarely like a fade... unless it works, of course.

Calling a fade with a slot receiver is laughable. You call a fade with tall physical receivers who can out position the defender. A jump timing type route with Baldwin is stupid that situation.

Never works.

[youtube]6MGzsVKE44g[/youtube]

I miss that offensive line, and that Russell Wilson.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":1wp0di98 said:

I don't know if one exists but if somebody can find one I'll spend the rest of my evening watching it on repeat.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":1u2c7y1u said:
On Wilson's TD to Baldwin, Bevell called 3 WR's to the corner...short side...basically causing a hail mary pile...? Huh, what?

4th and goal at the 1...they run a timing pattern with Russell Wilson at QB? So, he chose the absolute worst thing they do offensively over the best thing...Wilson in space?

4th and 1 in the 4th...you have a 4th string center and you run behind him vs Poe? Really?

Last drive. Again, they go rhythm, prototypical passing game the absolute WEAKNESS of this team. They never, ever attempt a boot to give Russ a shot to get easy yards. No attempt, none.

The run game was there all game, but look up titles, Cable's the run game coordinator. That's to his credit. Bevell calls the worst games, situationally, I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing fits this teams strengths or heaven forbid what the defense is giving them.

I'm sick to my stomach.

The biggest problem with the Seahawks in the redzone is Bevell. His playcalling within the 5 to 10 yard line is pathetic. Bevell doesn't know what to do in the redzone.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3vwkxb5b said:
pehawk":3vwkxb5b said:

I don't know if one exists but if somebody can find one America would spend the rest of its evening watching it on repeat.

FIFY.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Maybe allow Tom Cable to call the plays? He was a great college OC, and his smash mouth style of offense fits this team better than Bevell's "finesse" style.

For example, I bet Cable would call for more heavy formations (Gilliam in at TE and Tukuaku at FB) vs. empty sets.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":zyl66vol said:
austinslater25":zyl66vol said:
Zebulon Dak":zyl66vol said:
FWIW I didn't like the fade either. Then again I rarely like a fade... unless it works, of course.

Calling a fade with a slot receiver is laughable. You call a fade with tall physical receivers who can out position the defender. A jump timing type route with Baldwin is stupid that situation.

Never works.

[youtube]6MGzsVKE44g[/youtube]

Tate also caught a 3rd down fade for a TD in Atlanta last year. Vid: http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... e79571e594

I guess we can argue the merits of the call all we want. I don't necessarily love the call, but I do see the danger in this team becoming nothing but a run-bootleg team in the RZ as well. Ultimately, last year and before, Wilson was making throws like the ones above. This year, he isn't and there seems to be a bigger urgency to hide him as a pocket passer as a result. I don't believe you can hide your QB and expect a high power offense.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":13z3158k said:
Recon_Hawk":13z3158k said:
Outside of the running game, this team has no reliable strength to turn to. The receiver are not playmakers. Average at best and even worst with the tight ends. We really never know what Wilson will do next. His biggest strength is playing backyard football. Just as likely to miss an open receiver on a slant as he is running around for 5 seconds and then throw a TD. Good luck calling plays for that. Then Unger goes out of the game? There's not a dependable go to play on the play sheet most the time because the team is so inconsistent.

He's had Russ and these receivers for 3 years. It's not like the OL hasn't always been skiddish in pass protection.

It's not news other NFL guys think Bevell's routes and concepts are generic. I mean, its common knowledge. I know its east to fall back and say "I trust the professional coach over a seahawks.net poster", but, well then what do we say if any X and O person comments on how BASIC the route tree is.

XOXO

Reactionary Randy

It's Pete Carroll's offense. His route trees. I don't dismiss the X and O comments, but I do try to understand why PETE wants his offense this way.

Imo, it's been the same style since he fired Jeremy Bates. Run the ball, play error-free in the passing game, and make big throws down field. A difference with then and now is that without a Sidney Rice or Golden Tate, we don't have a consistent threat at receiver or even the experience to run a more complex offense.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":13v4xpnf said:
pehawk":13v4xpnf said:
Recon_Hawk":13v4xpnf said:
Outside of the running game, this team has no reliable strength to turn to. The receiver are not playmakers. Average at best and even worst with the tight ends. We really never know what Wilson will do next. His biggest strength is playing backyard football. Just as likely to miss an open receiver on a slant as he is running around for 5 seconds and then throw a TD. Good luck calling plays for that. Then Unger goes out of the game? There's not a dependable go to play on the play sheet most the time because the team is so inconsistent.

He's had Russ and these receivers for 3 years. It's not like the OL hasn't always been skiddish in pass protection.

It's not news other NFL guys think Bevell's routes and concepts are generic. I mean, its common knowledge. I know its east to fall back and say "I trust the professional coach over a seahawks.net poster", but, well then what do we say if any X and O person comments on how BASIC the route tree is.

XOXO

Reactionary Randy

It's Pete Carroll's offense. His route trees. I don't dismiss the X and O comments, but I do try to understand why PETE wants his offense this way.

Imo, it's been the same style since he fired Jeremy Bates. Run the ball, play error-free in the passing game, and make big throws down field. A difference with then and now is that without a Sidney Rice or Golden Tate, we don't have a consistent threat at receiver or even the experience to run a more complex offense.

I understand and respect that, Recon. But none of that has to do with the points in my OP.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1irecr0n said:
If I see another bubble screen Im going to vomit.

IT DOESNT WORK

It seems to work quite well for the Chiefs.

firebee

Reaction score
Thank God... I'm happy to see I'm not the only one utterly fed up with Bevell. Bevell sucks... Period... End of story.
If he didn't have Wilson for a QB and Lynch for a RB, two players that can save a horribly crappy play from being blown up and turn them into positive plays; he'd be running the absolute worst offense in the NFL. The design of his passing plays suck, his decisions on when to run the ball and where to run the ball sucks.

On 4th and goal, KC calls a timeout right before we snap the ball and telegraphs the intent of our next play... Noooo... Let's not go the other way, call a run play or read option after we telegraphed the intent of the play. Let's call a play that goes the exact same direction with the same intent, passing play to the left corner or left out. 2+ minutes left in the game... Pass, pass, pass, pass... Let's not try surprising KCs defense with a run or two because their is still a ton of time left to spike the ball when we have the best running back in the league. Something like Beastquake could never happen.

BEVELL IS GARBAGE... HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED. Let Tom Cable call the plays for our offense. He can't possibly be more retarded than Bevell is with his playcalling.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":gjl3j62m said:
Diezel Dawg":gjl3j62m said:
The reason the Hawks lost today, was Run defense!!!! Period. The defense got bullied and gashed all day. Why aren't we talking about that?? What about the dropped TD pass by Kearse? You gotta catch those. Period.
Actually, Run Defense was the reason we didn't win this game by 10 or more points. Despite poor run defense, we still had multiple chances to win the game....and those were foiled by poor situational play calling.

The Defense also caused two turnovers at midfield.....but,why bring that up? :stirthepot: LOL!

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Bubble screens should be used sparingly. They're good for about 7-8 yards. Just have to have the right personnel out there.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3s6mxz5o said:
Recon_Hawk":3s6mxz5o said:
pehawk":3s6mxz5o said:
Recon_Hawk":3s6mxz5o said:

XOXO

Reactionary Randy

I understand and respect that, Recon. But none of that has to do with the points in my OP.
My first post tried to address that. Basically, there's not enough talent and execution to play to our "strengths" because frankly we don't have a reliable offense right now to count on any strengths outside of Lynch.

What play call do you make if you can't have your QB stand in the pocket? Or if you have no redzone threat to throw to? Two rookie WRs learning the NFL game? Or if your starter center is out? Now were are talking about specific situations where the offense is really limited.

I'll take another look at the game when it's released on NFL rewind, but I'm guessing with each bad situational call there was a good play call in the same series that was just poorly executed. That was the theme of the game for me, outside of the defense.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1sjnq510 said:
Bubble screens should be used sparingly. They're good for about 7-8 yards. Just have to have the right personnel out there.

And I think we ran, what, 2 today? 3? Correct me if I'm recalling incorrectly.

Bubble screens are like fade routes. They suck when they don't work.

firebee

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3eqpkj06 said:
Hawk_Nation":3eqpkj06 said:
If I see another bubble screen Im going to vomit.

IT DOESNT WORK

Literally never.

[youtube]0XGOzFmPfKY[/youtube]

Screens can work sometimes, they're nice to throw in to slow down a pass rush against a blitz happy defense that doesn't play disciplined and has poor recognition, alas... The NY Giants. The Chiefs are notorious for recognition of screen plays and blowing them up. This has been on of their strengths all year long. Only a complete retard would repeatedly try to run screen plays for 3 quarters against a defense that's notorious for blowing up screens. Also... WTF is up with the empty backfield look. Our entire passing game is reliant on the play-action. Even if we're not going to run play-action, keep a frickin back in the backfield, so the pre-snap look doesn't frickin telegraph the play we're going to run, especially when our pass protection and our receiving is notoriously bad. Only a complete moron would call plays with an empty backfield when our pass protection and receiving is the weakest part of our game. Bevell is a complete moron. He sucks... He needs to go.

minormillikin

Reaction score
pehawk":18s7pj3g said:
On Wilson's TD to Baldwin, Bevell called 3 WR's to the corner...short side...basically causing a hail mary pile...? Huh, what?

4th and goal at the 1...they run a timing pattern with Russell Wilson at QB? So, he chose the absolute worst thing they do offensively over the best thing...Wilson in space?

4th and 1 in the 4th...you have a 4th string center and you run behind him vs Poe? Really?

Last drive. Again, they go rhythm, prototypical passing game the absolute WEAKNESS of this team. They never, ever attempt a boot to give Russ a shot to get easy yards. No attempt, none.

The run game was there all game, but look up titles, Cable's the run game coordinator. That's to his credit. Bevell calls the worst games, situationally, I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing fits this teams strengths or heaven forbid what the defense is giving them.

I'm sick to my stomach.

This post is spot on. This is exactly what I was thinking on all of these botched plays.

It seems like every week, the criticisms come down to the Seahawks not doing enough of what they are good at. Why does Bevell throw away the Seahawks' playbook and use a different playbook in important situations?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2pah53dt said:
My first post tried to address that. Basically, there's not enough talent and execution to play to our "strengths" because frankly we don't have a reliable offense right now to count on any strengths outside of Lynch.

What play call do you make if you can't have your QB stand in the pocket? Or if you have no redzone threat to throw to? Two rookie WRs learning the NFL game? Or if your starter center is out? Now were are talking about specific situations where the offense is really limited.

I'll take another look at the game when it's released on NFL rewind, but I'm guessing with each bad situational call there was a good play call in the same series that was just poorly executed. That was the theme of the game for me, outside of the defense.

I'll eagerly await your rewind review.

And, you're pretty much saying what I'm saying. When there's a key playcall, they don't try and drop back...traditionally.

Latest posts