I feel sorry for RBs around the league

Mix

Reaction score
You get paid what you are worth to a organization.

These men will be financially set up for the next stage of their lives.

What they want is to be paid millions more than they are worth to teams around the league. Is it rough to be a running back right now when you can't be paid what you think you are worth? Sure, but this is a supply and demand market. When it comes to Running backs the supply has almost always out weighed the demand.

Youth will always drive the RB market, as it is one of the few positions in football where ability can compensate for lack of experience.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The days of one RB doing all the work has been phased out
pretty much.
So their pay goes down along with touches and carries
I don't feel sorry for them.

NoGain

Reaction score
You get paid what you are worth to a organization.

These men will be financially set up for the next stage of their lives.

What they want is to be paid millions more than they are worth to teams around the league. Is it rough to be a running back right now when you can't be paid what you think you are worth? Sure, but this is a supply and demand market. When it comes to Running backs the supply has almost always out weighed the demand.

Youth will always drive the RB market, as it is one of the few positions in football where ability can compensate for lack of experience.
True, but you can make changes to the market that reflect the unique situation that RB's face in the NFL. Mike Florio talks about this a lot. For instance, you can shorten the amount of years a RB is contractually under control of the team that drafts them before they become FA's. There's some other good ideas out there.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Poor baby RB's making millions isn't enough they want to be paid like star QB's. Wahhh I'm gonna sit out and not play wahhhh poor babies

Mix

Reaction score
True, but you can make changes to the market that reflect the unique situation that RB's face in the NFL. Mike Florio talks about this a lot. For instance, you can shorten the amount of years a RB is contractually under control of the team that drafts them before they become FA's. There's some other good ideas out there.
Good luck telling all other positions they have to change the bargaining agreement so that they can be under team control longer than RBs because they are somehow more special. Want to raise the value of RBs in the NFL? have fewer coming out of college, have fewer playing the position in high school, by telling them they can make more money at another position or sport.

NoGain

Reaction score
Good luck telling all other positions they have to change the bargaining agreement so that they can be under team control longer than RBs because they are somehow more special. Want to raise the value of RBs in the NFL? have fewer coming out of college.
You can make changes in a new NFLCBA. And it's not that RB's are more special. It's that they have shorter careers due to the type of punishment they take in comparison to a QB, CB, S, WR... That's a big reason why teams can wield more economic control over that position relative to other positions.

Reactions: Rat

Mix

Reaction score
You can make changes in a new NFLCBA. And it's not that RB's are more special. It's that they have shorter careers due to the type of punishment they take in comparison to a QB, CB, S, WR... That's a big reason why teams can wield more economic control over that position relative to other positions.
Average NFL Career is 3.3 years.

Main reason, it's hard to stay in the NFL.

Much like every other job, you get paid what a "Company" values you at.

NoGain

Reaction score
Average NFL Career is 3.3 years.

Main reason, it's hard to stay in the NFL.

Much like every other job, you get paid what a "Company" values you at.
Nice dodge. That didn't at all address what I wrote.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You can't make changes in a new NFLCBA without the players collectively agreeing on said changes. And if you think players in all the other position groups are going to make an adjustment to how RBs are treated because of "the type of punishment they take in comparison to a QB, CB, S, WR...", then I don't think you're being even a little realistic. You can say it's not that RBs are more special, but that's how everyone else in the league would see it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's interesting how different that position is valued now. Then again, I don't feel sorry for millionaires playing a sport.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Imo, we're nearing the end of the era of 4-year contracts for all drafted players (with a 5th year team option for 1st rounders).

In the next CBA, the players should be demanding reducing the duration of rookie contracts to three years (with a 4th year team option for 1st round draft picks).

All of the players benefit, and the teams don't lose a lot of leverage that I can see.

OP
OP
M

Mizak

Reaction score
You guys think Seahawks management sees Walker the same way? Let him play through the years but when he wants that extension, just let him go and draft the next RB in the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is like when everyone at your office meets up at Chili's for some happy hour potato skins and Apple-tinis to complain about work, but then just leaves and shows back up to work on Monday.

Pro sports is the closest work environment we have that's a true meritocracy. You earn what you're worth, regardless of background, skin color, experience. Hell even being a criminal.

RB's are valued what they're valued because there's a large historical metric that says they're not worth gambling on a 2nd contract because of their short shelf life. Is it fair? Yes it's as fair as any other job related valuation or metric.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
There are some positions that could well stand to earn less to make RB contracts more fair. Some positions are over valued.

IDK what provision there is in a contract, if a player becomes injured and unable to play? There ought to be though (if there isn't). Not that they don't get paid, but that it be reduced, if they are unavailable, for ANY position.

I just don't see how it makes sense for a guy to pull his full salary when the team gets nothing, and he's out of commission. Isn't like 50-75% more fair (mind you these are huge numbers)? IDK, many will say I'm crazy, but it makes sense to me.

OP
OP
M

Mizak

Reaction score
And if they don't like it, they can learn a different position. The victim role is used up.
So when Walker goes through this same thing with the Seahawks down the road, will you say the same thing about him?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There are some positions that could well stand to earn less to make RB contracts more fair. Some positions are over valued.

IDK what provision there is in a contract, if a player becomes injured and unable to play? There ought to be though (if there isn't). Not that they don't get paid, but that it be reduced, if they are unavailable, for ANY position.

I just don't see how it makes sense for a guy to pull his full salary when the team gets nothing, and he's out of commission. Isn't like 50-75% more fair (mind you these are huge numbers)? IDK, many will say I'm crazy, but it makes sense to me.

How can some positions be overvalued in any pro sport? Their valued because of the positions importance. QB's make the most because their position's the most important on the team, so on and so forth with other positions down the roster.

RB's are important, but they're also replaceable vs the risk of injury past 25 or 26. Which is why they're all mad that no one wants to give them a monster 2nd contract. I get the anger, but it's justified.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So when Walker goes through this same thing with the Seahawks down the road, will you say the same thing about him?
If you wanna' feel sorry for millionaire athletes, have at it. Walker isn't complaining. Until then, I'm not gonna' even think about it. But I like how you ASSUME he will hold out.

Last edited: