I have a really bad feeling about this draft

daveman918

Reaction score
The "draft" may be over but go look at what we're doing with UDFAs. It's going to be an exciting year!

kearly

Reaction score
Here's how I feel about the four phases of the 2016 draft:

Day 1. Seahawky and smart.
Day 2. Overly-niche, lacking moneyball value, not athletic, in general had a "Ruskellian" type of vibe.
Day 3. It felt like Seattle got pretty good value. No picks that were flat out horrible.
UDFA: Quite possibly the best Seahawks UDFA haul of all time, and that's saying a lot.

Last I checked, Seattle has added ~25 players over the weekend. That's a lot to process. But my gut feeling right now is that Seattle got off to a rough start, then probably saved their draft on Saturday with a flurry of intriguing additions.

I'm not quite sure if this draft deserves a good grade or not, but I do know that this is the most I've looked forward to the preseason since 2012. It's been a very long time since there where this many interesting players on the roster bubble.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
daveman918":35qo37kl said:
The "draft" may be over but go look at what we're doing with UDFAs. It's going to be an exciting year!
Yep adding in the UDFA's this draft might be up in the 2012 stratosphere.
:th2thumbs:

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm generally the skeptical kind, but I think Reed and Vannett are 450 foot home runs.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Love the Reed, Vannett, Proise, and Collins picks - A grade combined
Cautiously optimistic about the Ifredi, Jefferson, Hunt, Lawler, and Brooks picks - B grade combined
Not thrilled about the Odhiambo pick just because I feel like the Hawks reached for him in the 3rd because they lacked a fourth rounder - C grade

Overall, I'm happy with this draft.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3lvcfiju said:
Every draft is exciting for the Seahawks because it means injecting young blood into a championship culture. Because of that culture of competition, each and every one of them has the potential to develop into a great player for this team.

Since our back-to-back Super Bowls, the Seahawks have lost guys like Marshawn Lynch, Russell Okung, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger, James Carpenter, J.R. Sweezy, Zach Miller, etc. This draft (in addition to free agency) is their best opportunity to fill those holes so we can get back to the promised land.

Germain Ifedi is the closest player to a young Russell Okung in this draft class. He has all the potential in the world to excel in the run game and at pass pro as the starting RT. If he can develop into a cornerstone player, this offensive line has a chance to return to being a dominant presence.

Jarran Reed was the BEST run defender in college football last year. He is being added to a defense that allowed the fewest rushing yards in the league, sans Mebane. Reed gives the Seahawks a potential day one starter at NT and the depth in the interior defensive line to continue to dominate against the run along the line of scrimmage. Jordan Hill, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark, etc. will continue to provide the interior pass rushing threats. DT Quinton Jefferson gives them a good pass rushing prospect at the three technique. I don't think you should allow the rest of the league's current antipathy toward stopping the run dampen your excitement over this great selection.

RBs C.J. Prosise, Alex Collins, and Zac Brooks will all provide valuable competition at RB to replace Marshawn Lynch, competing with Thomas Rawls and Christine Michael on a team that is committed to running the ball as much as they throw it. Carroll's initial acquisition of Lynch and his hand picking of undrafted free agent Rawls prove he's pretty damn good at evaluating the running back position.

TE Nick Vannett was a very sure-handed receiver at Ohio State with Zach Miller-like characteristics. He has the huge frame to grow into a solid blocker under Tom Cable's tutelage. Vannett and WR Kenny Lawler give Russell Willson more potential red zone threats.

Center Joey Hunt and guard Rees Odhiambo will provide valuable competition along the offensive line. These are both experienced technicians who excelled in the college game. Both are excellent in pass pro. Odhiambo is a less athletic version of Alvin Bailey, but unlike Bailey, he actually enjoys hitting people. Hunt was the best pass protector in college football last season. We badly needed to upgrade the competition at this position group. Getting two linemen who are proven to be good at what they do should assist that process.

The ONLY pick I dislike or strongly dislike is Rees Odhiambo. The dude has been injured every single year. Even if he is good how many games is he going to be out every year....injury prone OL is NOT what we need

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1gh4b6p7 said:
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

Someone plese help convince me otherwise??

Nope not even going try if you can't see the talent in this draft that's your problem .

stizz19

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1bdewo61 said:
Hawkpower":1bdewo61 said:
therealjohncarlson":1bdewo61 said:
I usually find a way to be positive about our draft and find a few guys with all pro level of potential... but this draft man. Just weird. I feel so down, especially since Schneider hyped it up so much. Yay we got OL help but man I dont know about any of them.

Just a bizarrely anti climatic draft imo. Im looking forward to Pete and Johns comments on it.

Weird.

Just about everybody else is pretty stoked about it, especially the day two picks.

Have you not been following, or do you just differ from the general consensus?

I guess I differ from most people. I view pretty much everyone we got as a fringe roll player or one dimensional. No future stars to replace our aging ones. Maybe Reed maybe. But I view him as pretty one dimensional

Sorry to piss on everyones parade

Uh our "aging stars" are not old and we're all "nobody's" when drafted. This is the Hawks best draft in years on paper...

Ozzy

Reaction score
Honestly think this draft goed down as one of their best. Last year's is underrated for some reason but this draft is better. I think Clark, lockett become bigger stars than anyone in this class but we will get a few multi year starters. Loved it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
How did you feel right after the 2012 draft? By no means was that flashy....but it is arguably the best Seahawk draft in the PC/JS era - it netted Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, and Sweezy. For me 2016, draft has the same feel. We'll find out. At there were no reaches of Justin Britt proportions. That's a good thing.

TAB420

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":24w3413e said:

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
daveman918":33bmjezk said:
Schieder and Carroll would disagree. They call this 'round 8.'

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
OP is entitled to his feelings but I think PCJS killed it. Absolutely killed it.

A+

kearly

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1oiqhc56 said:
How did you feel right after the 2012 draft? By no means was that flashy....but it is arguably the best Seahawk draft in the PC/JS era - it netted Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, and Sweezy. For me 2016, draft has the same feel. We'll find out. At there were no reaches of Justin Britt proportions. That's a good thing.

I was extremely excited after the 2012 draft. Irvin and Wilson were the two guys in the draft I wanted for Seattle at all costs, and we got both of them. Gave the draft an A+ at the time and wrote a silly article on Seahawks Draft Blog saying Wilson was my favorite draft pick ever.

This year, I was hating our draft until day 3. Now after a solid day three and a very strong UDFA, I'd probably give this draft a solid C.

dogorama

Reaction score
In spite of a wealth of so-called expert evaluators this isn't an exact science. Yes, these athletes are timed, tested, and probed in just about every way imaginable but there are still the intangibles and I think that is what PC and JS are better at than just about anyone else in the league. In an extremely competitive environment the Seahawk's staff has managed to create a strong degree of internal affiliation and mutual support. These are the building blocks of a organizational culture that functions at an optimal level.

Players around the league all know that Seattle is a great place to be and that is largely due to the culture Pete Carroll has created. This isn't an accident or fortunate luck but a well thought out plan of selecting players that will contribute to this culture. The league is full of all-pro players who were given little chance of success in the NFL but Pete makes it well known that you will have a chance to compete for a starting position regardless of whether you are a first-rounder or UFA.

How often have we seen Pete put untested players in really crucial situations? It is an expression of confidence and belief in the player that instills confidence and motivation in them. Pete is utilizing a form of modern management theory that the most successful companies and organizations in the world employ. It's a lot more than just numbers.

Zorn76

Reaction score
This entire draft class was pretty solid, but far from spectacular. No real big prospects or stars, like in recent years.

That said, I like what we did overall.

My preference would've been to draft a CB in round 3, rather than selecting a RB there. Much more difficult to find a cornerback, and we've been looking for a Reliable option to play opposite Sherman for a couple of years now. Lane and Shead have some upside, but the former, especially, has some legit questions regarding his longterm health/durability.

RB was a position of need, no doubt, but spending 3 picks on the position was overkill, IMO. And given the history of Pete and John finding UDFA's (*cough* Rawls *cough*), I think we could've selected only one RB and spent the other two picks on different positions (CB, another OL or DL, or groom another LB).

Still, we filled positions of need pretty well, and avoided the major overreaches that other franchise do routinely.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
you're crazy!! These guys can separate the wheat from the chaff better than anyone in the NFL. This Draft was a HAUL. The Seahawks Draft went exactly how they wanted it to go.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
We bolstered the trenches. A real meat and potatoes kind of draft, not sexy, but one that hopefully keeps us tough and physical. I am a happy camper. I think they did exactly what they needed to do to help get the edge back.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
A day later and I am still baffled at the C and D grades being tossed around here.

Not often that our fans are tougher on the front office than the national guys.

The lukewarm reaction here from some pretty knowledgeable guys is odd.