I have found myself demanding instead of expecting

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you adopt a "Superbowl or bust" mentality you are putting your entire enjoyment of a sport into a handful of uncertain outcomes, like the gambler who goes to Vegas and puts his entire bankroll on a single spin of the roulette wheel. And then, continuing that mentality after we indeed win a Superbowl is like that same gambler winning his all or nothing bet and then placing another.

Unless you get remarkably lucky you are going to be highly unhappy most of the time. I'm not judging; maybe that's just how you think fans have to act in order to be 'real'? fans or maybe you're a masochist. To many, however, you aren't being 'demanding', having 'high standards', or caring more about the team. You are just naive and displaying your lack of appreciation for how much needs to go right to win the Superbowl in any given year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3w543w4k said:
As an analogy, say you're a fan of an Ohio State caliber program and your school won the nat'l title a few years ago. You have 5 star blue chip recruits up and down your roster the last several years. But oddly, you find your team playing in the Gator Bowl and Outback Bowl in consecutive years and a couple of your stars are threatening to transfer. Are you happy or unhappy with the direction of the program? By losing the Gator Bowl, did your school have a successful year or unsuccessful? Or are you content that you get to see your team on tv on New Years at 9 am and hang out with buddies?

Most dedicated Seahawk fans seem to fall in 3 categories:

1) Satisfied: typified by "We made the playoffs!! Can you believe it-we won a wildcard game-woo hoo!! Happiness is here again. How dare you say anything disparaging about my team-this is my team and our coaches won us a title and by God, I'm sticking with them no matter what. I love this team and trust completely in our staff and don't you ever say anything discouraging-they won us a title didn't they? And got us to another-don't complain!-this is the greatest era of your life!"

2) Frustrated: "I'm certainly grateful we won a title, but with the talent year in and year out we have, it's going to go down as unfulfilled potential if we don't win 1 more title during this era. The Carroll tenure has been incredible, no doubt, but XLIX left a horrible lasting impact and the team has been on a slow decline ever since. Realistically, as much as I want them to win another SB, I just don't see it happening. Pete is slowly losing the team and we're slipping." These fans may also have been around for the long haul and realize this window is narrow and despite the consistent success and the memory of the crap days from long ago, wanting to see the team maximize its talent level trumps enjoyment over mere 2nd round playoff appearances.

3) Enjoying the Ride Exemplified by common phrases: "You certainly can't expect to win it all every year, so I'm just enjoying this nice run and we'll see where it takes us. I try not to get too emotionally involved-it's just weekend entertainment and the Hawks have been winning more often than not the last several years. We already won a title so everything else is just gravy. Don't overanalyze it-it's not life. XLIX was unfortunate but just move on for crying out loud!"

There's also casual fans that jumped on the bandwagon of course but I won't count them. There really is no right or wrong answer and there's likely subcategories of fans. Objectively, I'm probably in category 2 myself...but we all here are actual, passionate fans and just want to see the team win.
OR you could be a combination of 1) & 2).........2) & 3)........1) & 3).......OR, like myself..a combination 1), SOME of 2) AND 3)
Saying that It's no big deal that " We Made The Playoffs",...It's dismissive because if you don't make it INTO Playoffs, you have O Chance to make it to ANY Super Bowl.
"Any Given Sunday"
Pete getting us INTO TWO Super Bowls, and has getting us INTO the Playoffs prior to, and ever since winning our FIRST Lombardi....That's CONSISTENCY That's a POSITIVE, And that's a GOOD Thing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":lkgwh1dv said:
West TX Hawk":lkgwh1dv said:
As an analogy, say you're a fan of an Ohio State caliber program and your school won the nat'l title a few years ago. You have 5 star blue chip recruits up and down your roster the last several years. But oddly, you find your team playing in the Gator Bowl and Outback Bowl in consecutive years and a couple of your stars are threatening to transfer. Are you happy or unhappy with the direction of the program? By losing the Gator Bowl, did your school have a successful year or unsuccessful? Or are you content that you get to see your team on tv on New Years at 9 am and hang out with buddies?

1) Satisfied: typified by "We made the playoffs!! Can you believe it-we won a wildcard game-woo hoo!! Happiness is here again. How dare you say anything disparaging about my team-this is my team and our coaches won us a title and by God, I'm sticking with them no matter what. I love this team and trust completely in our staff and don't you ever say anything discouraging-they won us a title didn't they? And got us to another-don't complain!-this is the greatest era of your life!"

2) Frustrated: "I'm certainly grateful we won a title, but with the talent year in and year out we have, it's going to go down as unfulfilled potential if we don't win 1 more title during this era. The Carroll tenure has been incredible, no doubt, but XLIX left a horrible lasting impact and the team has been on a slow decline ever since. Realistically, as much as I want them to win another SB, I just don't see it happening. Pete is slowly losing the team and we're slipping." These fans may also have been around for the long haul and realize this window is narrow and despite the consistent success and the memory of the crap days from long ago, wanting to see the team maximize its talent level trumps enjoyment over mere 2nd round playoff appearances.

3) Enjoying the Ride Exemplified by common phrases: "You certainly can't expect to win it all every year, so I'm just enjoying this nice run and we'll see where it takes us. I try not to get too emotionally involved-it's just weekend entertainment and the Hawks have been winning more often than not the last several years. We already won a title so everything else is just gravy. Don't overanalyze it-it's not life. XLIX was unfortunate but just move on for crying out loud!"

There's also casual fans that jumped on the bandwagon of course but I won't count them. There really is no right or wrong answer and there's likely subcategories of fans. Objectively, I'm probably in category 2 myself...but we all here are actual, passionate fans and just want to see the team win.
OR you could be a combination of 1) & 2).........2) & 3)........1) & 3).......OR, like myself..a combination 1), SOME of 2) AND 3)
Saying that It's no big deal that " We Made The Playoffs",...It's dismissive because if you don't make it INTO Playoffs, you have O Chance to make it to ANY Super Bowl.
"Any Given Sunday"
Pete getting us INTO TWO Super Bowls, and has getting us INTO the Playoffs prior to, and ever since winning our FIRST Lombardi....That's CONSISTENCY That's a POSITIVE, And that's a GOOD Thing.

If you are some combinations before...some during the game and some after the game, you are invested in the game and are going to be ok. Other than that, demanding better or perfection....is LUDICROUS. You can ask for it and maybe they can produce, but demanding it of them other humans....when you are not in the box with them....not gonna happen. Realistic is where I am going to stay from now on.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
First of all not looking for sympathy. If you got that feeling Jville, sorry about that. Second of all Siouxhawk, we are not going to agree on our OC which is fine. Nash72 and Semihoo seem to feel how I have felt for the most part in the past.

I am just not going to be consumed by it anymore. When a win isn't a win anymore because you are pissed the way the Seahawks played, it is just counterproductive.

I am guilty of buying into the hype. How many times have you heard in the past four years that the Seahawks have the most talented roster in the NFL? However, talent doesn't mean the "best." The Seahawks are really good but they are not great right now.

I am not a new fan my any means. I lived through Kelly Stouffer, Sean Salisbury, Rick Mirer, and Stan Gelbaugh. I have definitely had really low expectations in the past.

It is hard to stay on top in the NFL. The salary cap sees to that and brings parity to the sport. It sucks when we lose players to free agency, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":11oqw6nn said:
scutterhawk":11oqw6nn said:
West TX Hawk":11oqw6nn said:

"Any Given Sunday"

If you are some combinations before...some during the game and some after the game, you are invested in the game and are going to be ok. Other than that, demanding better or perfection....is LUDICROUS. You can ask for it and maybe they can produce, but demanding it of them other humans....when you are not in the box with them....not gonna happen. Realistic is where I am going to stay from now on.

I think a lot of people are probably combinations either during a game or the course of a season. It's just the fun in watching the roller coaster ride of your favorite team.

What should never happen though is the outcome of Seahawk games affecting anyone's real life. Life is way too short to have your happiness or outlook altered by a Hawk loss or playoff exit. Whether you root for 'em, celebrate them, bash them, hate them for awhile, vent a little on .net or whatever, one's own contentment in life should not derive from the performance of a pro sports team.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":27buut9x said:
First of all not looking for sympathy. If you got that feeling Jville, sorry about that. Second of all Siouxhawk, we are not going to agree on our OC which is fine. Nash72 and Semihoo seem to feel how I have felt for the most part in the past.

I am just not going to be consumed by it anymore. When a win isn't a win anymore because you are pissed the way the Seahawks played, it is just counterproductive.

I am guilty of buying into the hype. How many times have you heard in the past four years that the Seahawks have the most talented roster in the NFL? However, talent doesn't mean the "best." The Seahawks are really good but they are not great right now.

I am not a new fan my any means. I lived through Kelly Stouffer, Sean Salisbury, Rick Mirer, and Stan Gelbaugh. I have definitely had really low expectations in the past.

It is hard to stay on top in the NFL. The salary cap sees to that and brings parity to the sport. It sucks when we lose players to free agency, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Just be a fan and have fun. It's easy. I'd be proud to be one with you.

Seymour

Reaction score
nash72":2q07mfma said:
I'm still not over 2005. Lol

When you take it in the ass from a zebra, you never will forget it. Just learn to walk a little different. :twisted:

StoneCold

Reaction score
Seymour":wptjqws3 said:
nash72":wptjqws3 said:

When you take it in the ass from a zebra, you never will forget it. Just learn to walk a little different. :twisted:

It's those hoof marks on your back. The bruises heal, but the memory never fades.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":2qkbturs said:
Seymour":2qkbturs said:
nash72":2qkbturs said:

It's those hoof marks on your back. The bruises heal, but the memory never fades.
Yes, but never underestimate the pleasure of a donkey punch, which I believe could be interchangeable with a zebra. And, of course, a flip-flopping of the assumed positions.