I hope Shaq1 isn't expecting much from us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He absolutely did. While I don't mind guys having some fun, especially in 2020...….not after you get away with one. Not a fan at all. Ranks up there with a team being down 3 or 4 touchdowns, guy makes a play and dances around.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":o9kjp2lx said:
Nothing wrong with dancing when you make a play.

But dancing when you screwed up and its the refs that missed the play?

That is going to rub any football fan the wrong way, Seahawk fan or not.

If you get away with one, file it away. But don't dance when you should have on a DPI on you.

That is annoying. Even to some of us that are Seahawk fans but know damn well we got away with one there.

Maybe I missed it, but did he get flagged?

As a DB in the NFL you get flagged for looking at WR's the wrong way. So if you make a play, and there's no laundry on the field. You can celebrate.

Bunch of "get off my lawn" type folks in this thread.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, I had zero problem with the DK thing. He was having fun.
The point he's trying to make is that it was clearly PI. Shaq shouldn't be dancing around. Not get off my lawn at all, just a strange time to dance around when you clearly got away with a PI. Had zero impact on the game, but still. Dance all you want, have fun. When you actually earn it...….

rcaido

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":r3qffo5g said:
The point he's trying to make is that it was clearly PI. Shaq shouldn't be dancing around. Not get off my lawn at all, just a strange time to dance around when you clearly got away with a PI. Had zero impact on the game, but still. Dance all you want, have fun. When you actually earn it...….

He did earn it, there was no flag...Plenty of times he has gotten flags for making great plays...Did he get away with one probably but it was td saving play. Its not like he can see the replay, just celebrating the results.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, I kind of see it on both sides. Not that big of a deal regardless.
But he did get away with one, and I loved that part :mrgreen:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":9wrxp2r3 said:
SantaClaraHawk":9wrxp2r3 said:
If we don't find anyone better, Quill is, at best a 7M 3 year type of guy. As far as his twin, what should have happened this year only got extended b/c of 2020. He does not have a future here as a defensive player.

And if we get stuck having to extend him because there is no better alternative I will be very pissed if he pressures the Hawks to keep Shaquem on the team.

Why exactly can’t he be like Neil Thorpe on our team?

They don’t have to be LOB level depth, that’s unsustainable anyway. Quem is on the team because of great special teams play. We know his actual defensive skills leave a lot to be desired

sutz

Reaction score
To play DB these days, you HAVE to push the limits to be good. Most "good" plays are borderline penalties. It's just the way it is. And hey, if you're beat over the top, the penalty is better than giving up a quick TD. Sometimes that's your only option, and if you get away with it, happy happy, joy joy. :twisted:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
rcaido":3gzhfjf4 said:
Never understood the hate the Griffins get. Does he deserve to get paid eight figures, yeah i think so, but not for the Seahawks w/ our current salary situation.

Deep down these people nitpick at them for being a “feel good story” when the truth is most of our players on defense haven’t been that much better individually. Ryan Neal gets all this hype but his interceptions were basically gimmes. Tre Flowers sucked until he didn’t. Judging them objectively, Shaquem is a solid number 2, nothing special but that’s a commodity in the NFL. Special teams is also a strength and Shaquem is a part of that. People don’t appreciate special teams until it costs a game

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Good corners get big paydays. Griffin is a good corner.

It may come down to teams paring down payroll due to COVID-19...some contracts in the next 12 months may be smaller than usual, kind of like we're seeing in baseball. Depends on how much the owners are losing per game, I guess.

I'd like to see him re-sign at 3 for $21 mil. But I wouldn't go over that...but I bet other teams will. Might be the reason we're still holding onto his brother. Keep them together, 'Quill takes a lower contract to play with his bro?

sutz

Reaction score
RockinHawks":3a7ta4t6 said:

It may come down to teams paring down payroll due to COVID-19...some contracts in the next 12 months may be smaller than usual, kind of like we're seeing in baseball. Depends on how much the owners are losing per game, I guess.

I'd like to see him re-sign at 3 for $21 mil. But I wouldn't go over that...but I bet other teams will. Might be the reason we're still holding onto his brother. Keep them together, 'Quill takes a lower contract to play with his bro?
Good point on the Covid thing. I kind of expect a lot of one-year holdover deals in the short term to see if we lick this by next year and the economy recovers enough to re-align the cap. Don't want to go political. Just saying that this year the league lost a lot of money and the future income looks a little murky. FA in general may suck as this gets straightened out a bit.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
sutz":n1oswgsr said:
RockinHawks":n1oswgsr said:

Good point on the Covid thing. I kind of expect a lot of one-year holdover deals in the short term to see if we lick this by next year and the economy recovers enough to re-align the cap. Don't want to go political. Just saying that this year the league lost a lot of money and the future income looks a little murky. FA in general may suck as this gets straightened out a bit.
Very true.

Maybe some bargains can be had...perhaps as we continue to re-tool our defense with so few draft picks...?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":bcfqw7r0 said:

So, everybody wouldn't have a problem if he danced around like a jackass after getting flagged as long as the replay clearly showed it should not have been DPI?

I agree that, upon replay, it looked like DPI but is he really supposed to just know he got away with one in the moment without the benefit of a replay? The players have to live with phantom DPI calls all the time even though they "earned" a better fate.

As a side note, I wonder how everybody would feel if a couple special team players, including Jason Myers, went down with season ending injuries on a kickoff, that would've been easily a touchback, after the DK TD?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like I said, not really that important at all. I can see both sides of it. It had absolutely no impact on the game. Nor did the DK thing that was blown way out of proportion by local blowhard Hugh Millen. Along with other media types acting like DK is now T.O.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3fqviiw5 said:
Like I said, not really that important at all. I can see both sides of it. It had absolutely no impact on the game. Nor did the DK thing that was blown way out of proportion by local blowhard Hugh Millen. Along with other media types acting like DK is now T.O.

Well he does have some of T.O.'s attributes, and that Camera thing is definitely a T.O. Move.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, he's nothing like T.O.
Agree to disagree, and that's fine. It had zero impact on the game. Nor did Shaq's dance.
No big deal at all. Again, I can see both sides of the argument. I doubt it happens again. The guys were having fun, in 2020. Really a lot worse tragedies in the world. Should he have jumped there? Probably not, but it didn't hurt the team one bit.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":znxu3zbp said:
Nah, he's nothing like T.O.
Agree to disagree, and that's fine. It had zero impact on the game. Nor did Shaq's dance.
No big deal at all. Again, I can see both sides of the argument. I doubt it happens again. The guys were having fun, in 2020. Really a lot worse tragedies in the world. Should he have jumped there? Probably not, but it didn't hurt the team one bit.

Not the talking, the drops, the Physic, the how did he do that plays and from what I hear a great work ethic like T.O. had, he did work his ass off..

Then you had the Star Dance, Sharpie and stuff.

T.O. could have done all his stuff less the Talking and disruptive opinions and would have been in first ballot to HOF with his numbers, he pissed a lot of people and organizations off however.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, hard worker who did a lot of crap he shouldn't have.
DK has a hell of a lot better head on his shoulders, just my opinion. I'm not even 5 percent worried about DK, who he is or who is going to become. He's a lot more humble than some make him out to be.
Until I see him do anything that actually hurts the team and/or impacts the game and/or locker room, it's a non-factor imo. TO was a flat out locker room killer for most of his career. DK isn't even close to that.
Shoot, when he did that stupid goal line thing, he came back and made up for it. Non-Factor, and he learned from it.

But, the thread is about Shaq. Either way, no impact on the game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
chris98251":4sjn21sy said:
SoulfishHawk":4sjn21sy said:

Well he does have some of T.O.'s attributes, and that Camera thing is definitely a T.O. Move.

I think he's more akin to an early Chad Johnson. Lots of swagger and flash, but never a team cancer.

iamstevenlopez

Reaction score
I’m not understanding the Shaquem hate. He’s a great situational player with tremendous speed and he does not demand a huge paycheck.
Teams would kill to have a guy like him and a few teams offered him when he was waived.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Chasing desirable UFAs is a poor strategy in the NFL due to the winner's curse of free agency. It's much better to extend the players you intended on keeping one year before they hit free agency. I imagine we talked to Shaquill's agent last off-season about an extension, and the fact that we didn't come to an agreement probably means that our valuation and his were too far apart. I don't expect him back, but he does deserve a nice payday somewhere.

A huge part of our upcoming off-season IMO should be determining whether the following players are worth extending, and if so working out a compromise with their agents; Adams, Shell, Penny, Dissly, Diggs, Lockett, Reed, Brown, Dunlap, Flowers, Jones, Dickson, and Green. They will probably throw the checkbook at Adams and have a couple of very tough choices on the others. Hopefully they can get a couple of value extensions on a few who enjoy playing for this team and are willing to take a bit less to get guaranteed money a year earlier.