I love Schotty and the Run First mentality

John63

Reaction score
Fade":1gvio8h8 said:
I agree. Pete and Scotty should not be getting a pass on this.

When other teams sell out to stop the run you need to adjust. Or you did a bad job as a coach.

The Carolina game proves my point. They did it before, they can do it again.

They failed.

They let the players and fans down in this game with the stubbornness, ego, philosophy, stupidity, ineptitude, insanity. For whatever reason it was why exactly they decided to continue to run into a brick wall for 2 downs, and put the QB in 3rd and long the whole game, but it was a joke, and completely dumbfounding. Aikman called it out towards the end of the game as it was playing out, and didn't understand what Pete was thinking.

It has me very worried about the future of this team. If Pete doesn't learn from this game, and refuses to adjust, were looking at a Marty ball kind of team. Go 10-6 or thereabouts, early playoff exit, every year going forward. With the apologists coming up with new excuses every season of why the team fell short.

This team should be competing for a Superbowl next year with an offense that is bringing pretty much everyone back, and a defense that just needs to make some improvements in the secondary with the young guys taking their natural steps forward, + an additional pass rusher. But all of that will be moot if Pete thinks he can roll out the same gameplan on offense every week, and then refuse to adjust when it isn't working. They will fall short, and underachieve. They will lose a couple of games in the regular season they have no business losing, which will cost them the division, and then maybe win in the WC round, but then be bounced after that.

Great post as always,

raisethe3

Reaction score
Fade is pretty much spot on. I was thinking the same as well.

John63

Reaction score
raisethe3":cxz69mc1 said:
Fade is pretty much spot on. I was thinking the same as well.

Fade makes some of the best posts I have seen here, states his point of view, backs it up with facts. Respectful, and polite.

D

DomeHawk

Sox-n-Hawks":128m54pa said:
Sure, the run was stopped, but Russ dropped some GEMs of passes right where they needed to be. We knew this was going to be a close game coming into it. We lost the time of possession battle because we were outclassed on Defense. Hat's off to Richard for calling a fantastic defensive game. Sadly, you won't be matching up against your former team next weekend and you will lose.

This loss came down to two things.

1. Being outplayed on defense, likely because we went up against the DC who JUST LEFT.

2. Special Teams. It's time for Seattle to find a solid kicker. Love ya Seabass, but ya screwed us buddy. Make that field goal and we either win or go into OT.

Hats off to PC, JS, Schottty, Solari and Norton for the best rebuilding year I've ever seen a team have. Now find us a damned kicker.

The loss came down to ONE thing and yes, it is completely the OC's fault.

A football game starts off w/a game plan and then adjustments. Our game plan was solid based upon history and our strengths BUT if it isn't working you have to ADJUST. Obviously you are going to have to run the ball, you can't completely depend on the passing game, BUT when their defense completely sells out on the run it is foolish to stubbornly do something that isn't working OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Anyone who can't see this needs a remedial course in football 101.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":aybo28ll said:
I can't believe none of you saw how Wilson was getting monstered by the pass rush early on. Had we abandoned the run, Wilson would be in the next bed over from Hurns.

Only by committing to the run could we set up tendencies that we could then go against, which we did to good effect.

We rushed Fluker and Sweezy back from injury and they were nowhere near 100% at their positions, but still better than having Pocic in there.

At this end of the season, you have the guys you have in the condition they are in, and you just have to deal with it. Dallas was healthier in their front 7 then we were in our OL, and it showed.

When you can't rely on the OL you have to use scheme to assist your OL, and that's exactly what we did.

Next year we get people healthy, add a few more horses, and start the process over again. Having lost what, 7? pro-bowlers from the starting 22 vs last year, I think we did amazingly well just to achieve 10-6 and be in the post-season.

Rebuilding year.
New OC and DC.
Facing not just last year's DC, but a guy who had been with the Seahawks since Pete Carroll came as DB coach and moved up the ranks. He new Carroll inside and out.

There are plenty of mitigating factors.
That was not a scheme that was "assisting the OL". Typically what you do when defenses are over committing is you run things like counters, screens, delayed draws, etc as well as timing routes in the direction of the blitzing defender. We ran the same exact tired out passing scheme that uses long developing plays. We did not play around our obvious weakness, and instead played into it. I'm not saying we run the ball completely, I'm saying there needed to be more passes, we needed to keep the defense honest. If they're cheating to stop the run, and they keep blitzing, that means someone is uncovered if you're running the right play.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2bkmkpn8 said:
KiwiHawk":2bkmkpn8 said:
I can't believe none of you saw how Wilson was getting monstered by the pass rush early on. Had we abandoned the run, Wilson would be in the next bed over from Hurns.

Only by committing to the run could we set up tendencies that we could then go against, which we did to good effect.

We rushed Fluker and Sweezy back from injury and they were nowhere near 100% at their positions, but still better than having Pocic in there.

At this end of the season, you have the guys you have in the condition they are in, and you just have to deal with it. Dallas was healthier in their front 7 then we were in our OL, and it showed.

When you can't rely on the OL you have to use scheme to assist your OL, and that's exactly what we did.

Next year we get people healthy, add a few more horses, and start the process over again. Having lost what, 7? pro-bowlers from the starting 22 vs last year, I think we did amazingly well just to achieve 10-6 and be in the post-season.

Rebuilding year.
New OC and DC.
Facing not just last year's DC, but a guy who had been with the Seahawks since Pete Carroll came as DB coach and moved up the ranks. He new Carroll inside and out.

That was not a scheme that was "assisting the OL". Typically what you do when defenses are over committing is you run things like counters, screens, delayed draws, etc as well as timing routes in the direction of the blitzing defender. We ran the same exact tired out passing scheme that uses long developing plays. We did not play around our obvious weakness, and instead played into it. I'm not saying we run the ball completely, I'm saying there needed to be more passes, we needed to keep the defense honest. If they're cheating to stop the run, and they keep blitzing, that means someone is uncovered if you're running the right play.

Our screen attempts failed miserably.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":182ciqbh said:
, but ya screwed us buddy. Make that field goal and we either win or go into OT. .

Might be the most ridiculous comment posted on .Net this week

Shame on you

Smellyman

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1fxlfdnk said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1fxlfdnk said:
, but ya screwed us buddy. Make that field goal and we either win or go into OT. .

Might be the most ridiculous comment posted on .Net this week

Shame on you

Well he did blame Brian Schneider for not pushing Pete hard enough to get a backup kicker.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
getnasty":1zoxhm9x said:
Losing our kicker actually helped us. We went 2 for 2 on going for 2 and we went for multiple 4th downs that we converted that we might have kicked field goals instead. Don't you think we know a little about Kris Raichard too? Offense didn't get it done, blame Shotty or Russ, or Pete but this game is on the offense.
Odd, but mostly true. Of course you never know how a game would have played in an alternate universe (that whole butterfly effect thing), but certainly seemed like every change we had to make due to not having a kicker worked in our favor. The onside kick was really the only area not having Janikowski arguably hurt us, but we may have used Dixon there anyways and the odds with Jankowski still would have been super low.

Losing Janikowski absolutely could have burned us, but a side effect was it forced our coaches to trust the ball to our best player, and what do you know, it worked.

2019SBChamps

Reaction score
Janikowski being out gave us an extra two 2 point conversions.

Making a 57 yarder is a bit steep to ask of even if he's an all-time great kicker. Gotta think about where the plays went wrong way before that. If he missed a 35 yard FG attempt then it'd be a different story.

HeheParty

peppersjap

Reaction score
The only issue I would have about our performance outside of Shaq Griffin having a horrible day would be on the coaches for sticking with the run and not adjusting until it was too late. I also hate how they have acted like we had this great tool in Dickson and his drop kicks and how much distance he has on fg's (love the guy as a punter). When push came to shove they had zero faith in it which this game actually worked for us. I was left wondering what would have happened if we had recovered an on side kick and got to field goal range?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":7ow4cege said:
Spin Doctor":7ow4cege said:
KiwiHawk":7ow4cege said:

Rebuilding year.
New OC and DC.

Our screen attempts failed miserably.
The timing was off on it, our team is not very good at running them, nor does it look like we practice them much. We don't have the timing, and in general we look very sloppy and unrefined on these plays. I was commenting more on how you go about dismantling the strategy that the Cowboys were running.