Seahawks defense was ranked 30th against the run.

sutz

Reaction score
This is actually one of the reasons that I get worried when I hear that our RBs are tearing it up in camp. IS it our RB being outstanding?

Or does our rush defense still suck?

Our LBs were abysmal last year. The solution of bringing in a FA and aging vet hopefully helps. Worry about how much tread Bobby has on his tires still though.

We probably need to see preseason games with our starters against someone else's to know what we have first.
Hard to say much in the first week of camp, with no contact yet.

Fade

Reaction score
This is actually one of the reasons that I get worried when I hear that our RBs are tearing it up in camp. IS it our RB being outstanding?

Our LBs were abysmal last year. The solution of bringing in a FA and aging vet hopefully helps. Worry about how much tread Bobby has on his tires still though.

We probably need to see preseason games with our starters against someone else's to know what we have first.
It's both.

Last year's defense had a lot of beef and a lot of guys getting paid to stop the run, and they couldn't.

Poona
Harris
Woods
Jefferson
Brooks
Mone

These guys all had a reputation for being good at playing the run, and yet they sucked collectively as one of the worst runs defenses in the NFL. It makes no sense.

They just could never get their run fits right. Pete was still mentioning this in his pressers in JAN, when asked about the run defense.

And it shows up on film where guys are out of place or confused as to where they need to be. Even more baffling is they are now mediocre at tackling.

A couple of things you could always set your watch to, as it pertains to Pete Carroll teams was--Play with great effort, and tackle. Not anymore.

Hate to say it, but Hurtt was somehow a downgrade over Norton, a huge mistake.

Pete has to have a quick hook here.
Put Hurtt on notice early, if they struggle out the gate, and by Game 6 if things aren't improving and clearly going in the right direction on defense, time to make a change.

On the flipside, the Seahawks appear to have the most stacked RB room they have ever had in their history.

To go along with overall what is shaping up to be the best offense in Seahawks history.

Smellyman

Reaction score

nobody is really blocking or tackling. there are no pads. making any judgements now is ludicrous.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
It's both.

Last year's defense had a lot of beef and a lot of guys getting paid to stop the run, and they couldn't.

Poona
Harris
Woods
Jefferson
Brooks
Mone

These guys all had a reputation for being good at playing the run, and yet they sucked collectively as one of the worst runs defenses in the NFL. It makes no sense.

They just could never get their run fits right. Pete was still mentioning this in his pressers in JAN, when asked about the run defense.

And it shows up on film where guys are out of place or confused as to where they need to be. Even more baffling is they are now mediocre at tackling.

A couple of things you could always set your watch to, as it pertains to Pete Carroll teams was--Play with great effort, and tackle. Not anymore.

Hate to say it, but Hurtt was somehow a downgrade over Norton, a huge mistake.

Put Hurtt on notice early, if they struggle out the gate, and by Game 6 if things aren't improving and clearly going in the right direction on defense, time to make a change.

On the flipside, the Seahawks appear to have the most stacked RB room they have ever had in their history.

To go along with overall what is shaping up to be the best offense in Seahawks history.
A little early for calling a "lynch mob" for Clint Hurtt. I'll agree with you that KNJ was "testing" the hybrid bear front/3-4 alignment without having the athletic 3-4 personnel to work with...leading to Hurtt's promotion.

I think it was a combination of communication issues between Clint calling plays in for the first time...and Jordyn Brooks "distributing" the calls in as Wags replacement...especially in home games where our crowd makes it very tough on opponents offenses (sometimes "hindering" our own defenses ability to hear calls from Brooks)...and for "mysterious" tackling issues? ...was it possibly the result of teams NFL wide adapting to new rules concerning helmet leading tackles which seems counter intuitive to "muscle memory" natural tackling??

hoxrox

Reaction score
I was down on Hurtt last year but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He had sub optimal talent everywhere except for the young players in the secondary. Plus they had a plan A with JA, but couldn't execute that plan after week 1.

So better talent on all three levels, an offseason to work out the kinks, and no longer a rookie DC. Theoretically, he has to improve right?