I think we need to talk about Wilson V Luck for a change

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Fun fact- After yesterday Russ and Luck are tied with 8 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives. So there kinda goes that for Luck. Still willing to bet they'll constantly bring up that Luck leads since 2012, mentioning it every game, while never speaking of it when talking about Luck. Anyone else finding it weird that many in the media are acting like this is the first time Russell has done this?

byau

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4v3sprbg said:
I don't get our tireless infatuation with this debate.

Why can't both QB's be REALLY good? Why do we have to pick sides? "Better" is a nebulous word that cannot be quantified, so why do we keep trying?

For the same reason people will always compare players (and how even more hopeless is it when players being compared are in different eras?).

It's something to talk about and since there is no completely quantifiable measurement there will always be an argument.

[youtube]kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't care much for "Who's better". They are both really good.

I do get sick of the argument that Luck's Oline is bad and Wilson's is really good.

I think most qb's would be injured or dead if they had played with what RW had last year and so far this year....need to get much better.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Largent80":2ejne566 said:
Tech Worlds":2ejne566 said:
Wilson is not 7-0 against the elite.

The Seahawks are.

ARRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrggghhh.

I think yesterday is the first time out of all those games Wilson has thrown an int though...he has outplayed them for sure :D

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":lsbdvvqa said:
Fun fact- After yesterday Russ and Luck are tied with 8 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives. So there kinda goes that for Luck. Still willing to bet they'll constantly bring up that Luck leads since 2012, mentioning it every game, while never speaking of it when talking about Luck. Anyone else finding it weird that many in the media are acting like this is the first time Russell has done this?

What amazes me about this stat is that for all the talk I hear about how "elite" our defense we sure seem to be in a ton of situations where Wilson has to make a game winning drive or comeback

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Laloosh":6d3gdfam said:
Hawk Finn":6d3gdfam said:
SeatownJay":6d3gdfam said:
For a change? Wilson v Luck has been a recurring topic of conversation around here since the day Wilson was drafted.

Obvious sarcasm...to most

Exactly.

Was hilarious to watch Bayless argue this point today with Steven A. and Eric Allen. Yes i watch that garbage, don't judge...

I actually just watched this segment...I almost spit out my Tea when Allen was talking about Brady and his Oline problems like Wilsons Oline is godlike lmao

And then Steven A brings up "Seatle has an oline, Indy doesnt have much of one."

Do they actually watch how our oline plays..I mean...honestly.

To quote an article earlier this year

"A lot is made of his poor offensive line, but he was considered "under pressure" on 37.5-percent of his drop backs, good for 10th-highest percentage in the league. A high number, but Wilson was under pressure for 43.8 percent of his drop backs, highest in the NFL. Luck had 327 dropbacks with at least 2.6 seconds in the pocket, fourth-most in the league. He's had plenty of time to throw.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... z3E5oU29eK
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I bring that up just to point out how god awful our Oline was last year. We all know how bad it was...this year it isnt much better

-The Glove-

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1vyd1ywb said:
Laloosh":1vyd1ywb said:
Hawk Finn":1vyd1ywb said:
SeatownJay":1vyd1ywb said:
For a change? Wilson v Luck has been a recurring topic of conversation around here since the day Wilson was drafted.

Obvious sarcasm...to most

Exactly.

Was hilarious to watch Bayless argue this point today with Steven A. and Eric Allen. Yes i watch that garbage, don't judge...

I actually just watched this segment...I almost spit out my Tea when Allen was talking about Brady and his Oline problems like Wilsons Oline is godlike lmao

And then Steven A brings up "Seatle has an oline, Indy doesnt have much of one."

Do they actually watch how our oline plays..I mean...honestly.

To quote an article earlier this year

"A lot is made of his poor offensive line, but he was considered "under pressure" on 37.5-percent of his drop backs, good for 10th-highest percentage in the league. A high number, but Wilson was under pressure for 43.8 percent of his drop backs, highest in the NFL. Luck had 327 dropbacks with at least 2.6 seconds in the pocket, fourth-most in the league. He's had plenty of time to throw.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... z3E5oU29eK
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I bring that up just to point out how god awful our Oline was last year. We all know how bad it was...this year it isnt much better
Quit talking facts, man. Luck obviously has to block his own blind side

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Can I just say that I absolutely love Russell Wilson? He's that frustrating QB that always seemed to be on everyone else's team my whole life. Now we have him. He's elite. He's actually the best in the league, IMO. He has NO weaknesses. He's dangerous in every aspect of the QB position - throwing, running, throwing on the run, executing the run game, executing play-fakes, decision making, finding open targets, calling plays, being clutch, coaching his teammates, and setting examples.

I would be gay with Russell Wilson if given the opportunity, and I'm pretty straight.

I think some of the reasons he doesn't get rated as high by a lot of people are because of his height, his draft round, the team he plays for, and his race.

byau

Reaction score
fenderbender123":28ovc9rp said:
I think some of the reasons he doesn't get rated as high by a lot of people are because of his height, his draft round, the team he plays for, and his race.

ESPN Mike and Mike, something like this:

He is not showy, he doesn't play spectacularly, what he is is an excellent player on an excellent team, and he will not make many mistakes.

That's probably why he doesn't get much press, and why he may continue to get underrated as a quarterback.

Thinking about his OT drive yesterday, still gives me the chills.

If I had the time, I'd find out TD to INT ratios for all the big name quarterbacks right now. I'm guessing Russell would be #1.

Smellyman

Reaction score
byau":pqs6r9f9 said:
fenderbender123":pqs6r9f9 said:

He is not showy, he doesn't play spectacularly, what he is is an excellent player on an excellent team, and he will not make many mistakes.

That's probably why he doesn't get much press, and why he may continue to get underrated as a quarterback.

If I had the time, I'd find out TD to INT ratios for all the big name quarterbacks right now. I'm guessing Russell would be #1.

that is just plain dumb. He does more spectacular plays than just about any qb in the league combined. Not just spectacular running plays, but has an incredible downfield completion percentage and throws a damn sexy deep ball.

not to mentions his qb rating, comeback wins, td passes first two years, wins first two years, over 1000 yards rushing, playoff rating, int's in playoffs, td's in playoffs etc etc etc.

Mike and Mike, watch any highlights of qb's on youtube and see if anybody is more spectacular. More importantly actually watch all the Seahawk games.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
byau":3kamp3k9 said:
fenderbender123":3kamp3k9 said:

Career or for this year?

Active Leaders with 1500 passes

Rodgers 3.64 (#1)
Brady 2.7 (#2)
Manning 2.27 (#3)
Rivers 2.16 (#4)
Brees 2.06 (#5)

Then you have these 2 which obv havent thrown 1500 times yet
Luck 1.7
Wilson 2.73

I like the TD% stat as well
Wilson 6.5%
Rodgers 6.3%
Manning 5.8%
Romo 5.5%
Brady 5.4%
Rivers 5.4%
Brees 5.3

AND......

Luck 4.2

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":31euyei3 said:
byau":31euyei3 said:
fenderbender123":31euyei3 said:

Career or for this year?

Rodgers 3.64 (#1)
Brady 2.7 (#2)
Manning 2.27 (#3)
Rivers 2.16 (#4)
Brees 2.06 (#5)

Luck 1.7
Wilson 2.73

Wilson 6.5%
Rodgers 6.3%
Manning 5.8%
Romo 5.5%
Brady 5.4%
Rivers 5.4%
Brees 5.3

AND......

Luck 4.2
Pure cold blooded assassin like Aikman and Montana. Money when the game is on the line.

byau

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2z5wid5u said:
byau":2z5wid5u said:
fenderbender123":2z5wid5u said:

Career or for this year?

Rodgers 3.64 (#1)
Brady 2.7 (#2)
Manning 2.27 (#3)
Rivers 2.16 (#4)
Brees 2.06 (#5)

Luck 1.7
Wilson 2.73

Wilson 6.5%
Rodgers 6.3%
Manning 5.8%
Romo 5.5%
Brady 5.4%
Rivers 5.4%
Brees 5.3

AND......

Luck 4.2

Brilliant... thanks. And I guess I shouldn't be surprised Rodgers is that high up there. Wilson # 2.

TD% stats. Wilson # 1 !!

:)

Tokadub

Reaction score
Dean De Costa's post from that article is a pretty thorough summary of Wilson's amazing career thus far:

"Clooney George Really really

Wilson: Top 10 QB rating, tds, YPA, td/int ratio, 10 comeback wins in 2 years, most wins in first 2 years, 2nd most tds in first 2 years, tied for most TDs in first year(regular Season), record for most TDs in first year (including playoffs), Most game wining TD throws in final 2 minutes in first season, Best ever td/int in first season, most consecutive games with a QB rating over 125 in first season (3), first rookie QB to go 8-0 at home, best home record in first 2 years, best home QB rating in first year, best playoff QB rating in rookie season, 3rd best completion % by a rookie, 5th best completion % in the playoffs rookie season, not to mention 20 club records, first QB to have QB rating over 100 in first 2 years, all that and more behind the worst pass blocking o-line in the league and without a #1 WR. tied for most 4th qtr comebacks in the last 2 years, over 1000 rushing yards in the last 2 years. One of only 3 QBs who won a SB in first 2 years, set NFL record for no INTS while throwing for over 200 yards and at least 2 tds, and a QB rating over 100. And he plays in the hardest division in football, and the hardest conference. And his best year(this last year), he was top 5 qb rating, top 5 YPA, , top 10 compl %, td/int, top 2 QB rushing, was an MVP candidate, all behind the WORST pass blocking o-line in the league, without his top 2 wr, and without his starting TE for several games, and with a RB who only had 3 one hundred yard games and only surpassed the 4 ypc mark 7 times, That is not a great running game in fact RW made up over 24% of our run game without him we are 13th or so in rushing. Of course as I have already shown he also improved from his rookie season. (For some of that stats I left off QBs who played well under a full season)

2× Pro Bowl (2012, 2013)
NFC Champion (2013)
Super Bowl champion (XLVIII)
Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year (2012)
2× VIZIO Top Value Performer (2012, 2013)
PFF Offensive Rookie of the Year (2012)[1]
NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month (December 2012)
2× NFC Offensive Player of the Week
Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week (Week 10, 2012)
FedEx Air Player of the Week (Week 13, 2012)
Steve Largent Award (2012)
AND THERE IS MORE!!!!!!!!

Well sums it up Wilson better"

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pretty much the only thing they have in common is that they are elite young QBs who were drafted in the same year. Everything else is different and trying to compare them invariably involves lists of differing circumstances and a lot of speculation about the impact of those differences. Once they have much larger bodies of work there will be more interesting things to say about them; right now it is too early in both of their careers to be making any strong claims about who is better.

I do think you have to be careful about attributing team success to the individuals on both sides. That has always been an issue; Joe Montana gets just about all of the credit for those comebacks when the defense kept the other team from scoring in the fourth quarter, the special teams recovered the on-sides, and the receivers caught the passes he was throwing up.

Phteven

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is on the road to being a modern version of Archie Manning, the only good player on a mediocre team. I'd rather have a complete team with the perfect QB for our system.

Escamillo

Reaction score
I don't think Seattle would trade Wilson for Luck, nor would Indy trade Luck for Wilson.

I think if the 2011 draft were to be redone today, Luck would still be the #1 overall pick. Wilson would be the #2 overall pick. RGIII would fall out of the 1st round, Foles would move up significantly.