I'd rather have Maxwell than Sherman

getnasty

Reaction score
I guess it makes sense if you bring money into the conversation but just who's better? It's not even close.

slateman77

Reaction score
You just don't find corners who tackle like Sherm does...Period...!!

getnasty

Reaction score
slateman77":2a5nxdqz said:
You just don't find corners who tackle like Sherm does...Period...!!

Not why he's elite but it is an added bonus.

razor150

Reaction score
mistaowen":2ahmgu9a said:
West TX Hawk":2ahmgu9a said:
Why are many suddenly forgetting how effective Sherman still was playing this year? He had a couple INTs in a half season and rarely gave up a big play. 13 mil cap hit or not, you can't replace his talent, knowledge, intensity and leadership.

He could still be performing at a high level for a few more years. I like Maxwell and see no reason why he couldn't be back next year as well.

Selective memory by some. Richard shuts down half the field in the passing game. He's still worth every penny.

It isn't selective memory, it is the realization that he is coming of a major injury in his 30s and we don't have a lot of cap space. The team has to move on at some point.

slateman77

Reaction score
Sorry...Meant that he's a shut down corner all the way and also is superb at tackling..

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tough discussion here. Could go either way. In truth, Sherm was never the best athlete out there. He's good because he's kind of ADHD smart at that particular thing. It's worth nothing that he's not so good because he's some apex athlete. He isn't. Never was. Not sure what happens here, but his recovery will likely be pretty long.

timmat

Reaction score
Maxwell got a lot of positive pub over the punch fumble vs Dallas. He's had some nice pass defenses. But, he's been burned and exposed on several occasions as well that didn't seem to draw as much attention for some reason. I agree that he fits our system better than anywhere else. But to say Maxwell allows us to let Sherm walk is overstating Maxwell's effectiveness. With Kam and Cliff both possibly lost to retirement, I think we need Sherman back, even with the cap hit. With Sherman, Griffin, McDougal, Shead, Thomas, and Maxwell, you have a great group. I'd rather save $$ by saying goodbeye to Bennett, Graham (FA) and Richardson (FA).

Steve2222

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":zj6noci8 said:
the single most important factor, besides a competent QB, in a SB winner is great corners.

Every (almost) SB winner in almost the past 10 years had fantastic, not just adequate corners.

Sherman is a great corner.

And our FO would probably just blow $10M-15M on incompetent OL or TEs that they do not bother to use right anyway.

Not sure what you think you are getting with the cap savings except the freedom for the FO to make another stupid decision on a high dollar FA?

I’d say a disruptive front 4 is more impactful for Super Bowl aspirations than lockdown corners. Even the great corners can’t hold off WRs from getting open for 7 seconds.

Our 2013 team was so great because we had an actual disruptive DL to go with the LOB. Minnesota is proof of that this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Then you would be wrong.

NE got to the SB and won last when they got good corners. They didn't have a great DL.

You know who did? Carolina. Who ended up not making it until they got some good corners (and one great one). Then they got rid of them and did not make it back.

Denver also, got great corners - went to the SB, won and now doesn't go back.

The game is built around the QB. All the rules favor the QB and the passing offense. So having the ability to shut down the pass is imperative. It is not a luxury.

If you do not have great corners, you won't be winning a SB. At least not based on how the last 10 years have gone.

Meanwhile, teams with disruptive front fours (Carolina, is a good example but I am sure you can make a list) routinely do not make it far. DL is one of the most overrated positions in the game. Some of the best DL, like Suh, barely move the needle. The Rams are a good example, they won't be winning a SB for this reason - even though they have a fantastic front four.

Seafan

Reaction score
A healthy Sherman, yes.

I'm hoping that since Sherm wasn't a speed merchant and used his length and brains to become a great CB that him losing half a step won't be the career killer. But we won't know until September.

Max might could be signed for less than $5 mil per season.

Reaction score
Pina Colonics":214x0w7n said:
Is this a real conversation? Maxwell was retired---now he gets 5m a season?

Sherman resrtucrures, Maxwell for a little more than Veteran Minimum. Plays backup, and happy to collect a check.

Avril and maybe Kam done with neck issues, frees up a ton of cash. Bennett most likely as well with his dramatics.

He will go to GB or Pats to spite the Hawks. Plays with his brother. Goes after another ring over there.

The question is with those 3 gone, what's the cap releif?

Ifedi At guard and Fant at RT, Brown anchors left side

You know that like every contract has injury guarantees, right? Avril, Kam and Sherman are likely on the books next year regardless, unless they are healthy enough to pass a physical to be released. So no, that doesn't free up any cap.

And Bennett just got an extension this year. You eat a shitload of dead money to cut him one year into the extension.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Make trades on some of the big contracts, resign McDougal and Coleman, draft Shaq's brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subzero717

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2bbg8d93 said:
If we are rebuilding, then yes give me Maxwell plus $7-10M in cap space over Sherman. If we are gunning for it, keep both.
There's no point in having 7-10 million in cap space to use it on a less effective player.

Sherman allows Earl to do his thing making the whole thing go smoother. None if the other dbs mentioned are at a point yet to take that spot over.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MO Hawk

Reaction score
How much will it cost to keep Maxwell? And how long of a contract should they offere him? More than one year?

HawkerD

Reaction score
To save money by cutting Sherman means you have a better value propostion. What is it? Until you know what that is then you keep him. Panthers have crapped the bed without Josh Norman. A shut down corner changes the way you play defense. Don't under estimate the value of that.

Maxwell's doesn't have much value outside of Seattle. Griffin is on a rookie deal. Hawks can afford to pay Sherman if he recovers.

original poster

Reaction score
I could totally see a 3 year $6M-$8M (total, not APY) contract given to Maxwell.