I'd rather have Maxwell than Sherman

massari

Reaction score
Tough choice. Darrelle Revis was about the same age as Sherman coming off ACL surgery and was traded for a 1st (13th overall)+4th.

If they can get a 2nd for Sherm from say the Raiders, it'd probably be best to clear that $11M in cap room and sign a cheaper replacement like RCB Jalen Collins and pick another up at the draft.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
As great a player as Sherm is no one else wanted to take on his salary last year. I don’t suppose the injuries will change that. Unless he is willing to take a pay cut to go elsewhere I don’t believe we could trade him.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
King Dog":2mkl5xxs said:
A cheap Maxwell that is. He's decent. I love Sherm and he's a complete stud, but a $13.2M cap hit is a killer and we could use some draft picks and cap to get a few good offensive lineman once Cable and Bevell are gone.
Didn't you notice how soft our downfield D got without him? YOu get what you pay for--and Sherm's $ woulda bought us our season still going right now. TOPIC TILE EDIT: "I'd rather get eliminated than make the playoffs"

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnnyfever

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1kbl5597 said:
Maxwell over Sherman. Ok, it's official, people have done lost their minds :lol:
And then are you going to be in the camp screaming about going out and spending money on an OL or receivers/pass rush?

Fact is we are totally cap hamstrung right now. Sherman is a great player that shuts down half the field and allows Earl to attack vs play prevent. It also allows coverage sacks.

We also had a pretty decent backend at the end of this season. It wasn't Sherman shutdown, but it was damn good and more than serviceable to allow us to spend in other areas.

So, if you are going to say it's ridiculous to trade sherm, then keep your mouth shut when we have a 4th year of a garbage OL.

Camilobu02

Reaction score
Seriously? It's like if you'd rather Pepsi instead of coca cola, I don't understand this comparison and I don't want to do it, Maxwell is a good player but when Sherman is at the field the Qb's don't throw to his corner, his presence make the job. Sherman is the kinda player that we need keep.

adeltaY

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1557g5fv said:
SoulfishHawk":1557g5fv said:
Maxwell over Sherman. Ok, it's official, people have done lost their minds :lol:
And then are you going to be in the camp screaming about going out and spending money on an OL or receivers/pass rush?

Fact is we are totally cap hamstrung right now. Sherman is a great player that shuts down half the field and allows Earl to attack vs play prevent. It also allows coverage sacks.

We also had a pretty decent backend at the end of this season. It wasn't Sherman shutdown, but it was damn good and more than serviceable to allow us to spend in other areas.

So, if you are going to say it's ridiculous to trade sherm, then keep your mouth shut when we have a 4th year of a garbage OL.

Isn't the FA market for OL horrible this year? We should have the pieces, look at the draft capital and money invested in our OL. They still suck... Wonder why?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I would like to see Sherman back for his last year. Still has some game and could be a leader for a young cb core. He also might call out the coaches all year which I am fine with now.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete Carroll mentioned Sherman was instrumental in Shquill Griffin's 1st year adjustments to a Seahawk style corner. Pete also mentioned that Sherman was dealing with problems on both ankles thru out the year.

Sherman has the mental focus, commitment and grit to make a strong come back. Should be an uplifting story for 2018.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":mlfmopoc said:
Why are many suddenly forgetting how effective Sherman still was playing this year? He had a couple INTs in a half season and rarely gave up a big play. 13 mil cap hit or not, you can't replace his talent, knowledge, intensity and leadership.

He could still be performing at a high level for a few more years. I like Maxwell and see no reason why he couldn't be back next year as well.

Good post. Nobody was criticizing Sherman's play. Just his price tag.

Maxwell probably isn't going to take a very cheap deal, though. I don't see him being here next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If we're getting rid of Sherman to free up cap space, I'd rather draft another young durable corner like Griffin than have to rely on Maxwell to not only play well, but to stay healthy.

If Maxwell wants to come back on a cheap one year deal to compete and add depth? Awesome, but I'm not down with any plan where we're going into the 2018 season with him as our starting CB. Haven't we learned what happens when you depend on an aging vet defensive back that's on the downhill side of his career?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Maxwell gave up a lot of catches and yards. He is not a good CB. He makes a few good plays, and causes fumbles sometimes...but in between those he is getting burned regularly.

Sherman is still an above average CB who does his job, is an elite tackler, and brings a swagger to the Defense.