If anybody tells you lucky win?

rideaducati

Reaction score
panthers4life":qtwla1uo said:
I think how close Sherman came to blocking the previous attempt played a factor in that miss, he was trying to influence that kick to the left for a little insurance, it didn't work out.

I think it was divine intervention and the Prancers have no shot next week either.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Winning lucky is underrated. I enjoy winning convincingly too, but winning lucky makes the fans who hate us WAY angrier. That, to me, is fun.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":394shvrc said:
A field goal is a bona fide football play. Kicker just didn't execute.
Almost every player fails to execute well at least once during the game.
He just picked a bad time.

Absolutely, but I think that's precisely where the claims of "luckiness" come in.

People tend to attribute "luckiness" in the NFL to the flukes of chance at the very end of the game when the outcome is incredibly clear and the win probability is making a dramatic swing. It's just one of those instances.

At that distance or less this year kickers have missed just under one percent of FG tries. Basically, you roll the dice and over ninety nine out of one hundred times that kick gets made. Then you factor in that before the kick attempt the Vikings had around a 98% win probability and after that kick the Vikings had a less than 1% win probability and you say, sheesh, the Hawks really escaped by the skin of their teeth there; the Seahawks chances of winning that game were down to about 2% and Walsh shanked a chip shot causing as big of a swing in win percentage as is really possible in the NFL.

Of course, in the long run HOW the Hawks won doesn't really matter, though. If they lose against the Panthers next week nobody except for Vikings fans will remember this game, just as if they win the Super Bowl this year nobody except for Vikings fans will remember this game.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seattle continuously puts themselves in a position to be "lucky". They also scored 10 straight points in the 4th quarter. They have an ability to stay calm under pressure and find a way to win. Was the missed kick lucky? I don't see it that way.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":2hyif58g said:
Seattle continuously puts themselves in a position to be "lucky".

By that logic then, by definition, Seattle also continously puts themselves in a position to be "unlucky," and you're back to where you started.

IMO, TBH though I don't think it much matters. Once you're in the playoffs HOW you win is basically meaningless. What matters is that you win; the hows and whys are just details.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2e506c0p said:
Nothing wrong with admitting it was a lucky win. As a matter of fact, if any Seahawks fans try to deny that we were lucky, it would strike me the same way as Shittsburgh fans insisting SBXL* was fairly officiated.

Either shut up and quit denying reality, or just shut up.

Telling other posters how to feel and what to do?

Luck isn't real. Either is fate.

Stats are. Hawks played poorly on offense. MN didn't finish them off... then couldn't. The defense was stout once again. Does that not deserve credit?

I get the impression that people just want others to feel bad about this, a need to "admit" that the Hawks could have lost. Why? If you win the lottery do you apologize to millions of people who didn't?

We all saw the game. Teams need to execute with near perfect efficiency to win games in the playoffs, especially in conditions like that. In the end, the Vikings didn't do it.

Yes.. they "Should" have won, based on the statistic probability of making that kick. But Walsh has had a fairly odd year as a kicker, and in preseason they talked about cutting him because he was so poor. He missed 5 of 10 kicks, after missing his last 4 of the 2014 season.

He missed 4 of his 33 yard extra points this year, going 33 of 37. A 27 yarder isn't that much different, and none of those 37 attempts were in -5 degree temps. He was 9 of 9 from 20-29 this season, but missed twice from 30-39.

Point is, the kicker himself is prone to these misses. It happens. Was it "luck" that Wilson underthrew two wide open receivers for TDs? Or was it the conditions? I get confused by the logic.

It happened at the most inopportune time for the Vikings, and the most dramatic and opportune time for the Seahawks. Why do fans need to apologize or feel sheepish about it?

Its flipping football.. entertainment.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Yeah, no matter your view of that play, lucky, fortunate, or just some shit that happened, why you need to justify it to someone that would call it lucky is silly to me. What, are you really going to change their mind?

Both teams really played well enough to win, and made enough mistakes to lose. Vikings had a better plan for the game, Seattle has better players who made bigger plays. (I want to add that I think it was very clear that the Vikings went to some old timers from the pre dome days to find out how to approach a game like this for gameplan).

I think the fumbled snap, pickup and heave to Lockett perfectly encapsulates the combo of lucky and good, if you want to see it that way, that is Seattle ball. Wilson both screwed up the play and saved it. The ball could have bounced a lot of ways, but it bounced his way, then he made something out of the disaster.

retro74

Reaction score
A couple of other posters have mentioned it and it's an accurate analysis of the missed FG for me. The genesis of the final play was in the the earlier successful FG

Sherman was within a fingernail of blocking it. That was in the kickers head, as he walked to the kick he would have been thinking "kick away from the right hand side" and that is exactly what he did

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5n0qus4p said:
Vancanhawksfan":5n0qus4p said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

If the Seahawks were "lucky" because the Vikings special teams screwed up a play that lead to them missing a 27 yd field goal...

...then the Vikings were "lucky" to score their first 3 pts from a 22 yd field goal attempt after the Seahawks screwed up a punt snap that lead to a direct turnover deep in Hawks territory.

Was it "lucky" they missed the kick? Sure. Was the Hawk's victory lucky? No, because both teams made a mistake that lead to 3 pts.

My thought as well. Plays were missed all over. I think the vikes were "lucky" to be in that position to begin with. Wilson missed two open receivers for TD. Michael left what seemed like 4 or 5 big runs out there. Plus had the punt snap.

Then the Vikes missed their big chance

That's playoff football.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
retro74":je6qnam2 said:
A couple of other posters have mentioned it and it's an accurate analysis of the missed FG for me. The genesis of the final play was in the the earlier successful FG

Sherman was within a fingernail of blocking it. That was in the kickers head, as he walked to the kick he would have been thinking "kick away from the right hand side" and that is exactly what he did

And in all honesty if the kicker was thinking that, then the coaches should have had AP run to the right hash instead of the left..

How's that speech in Any Given Sunday go? Inches...

drdiags

Reaction score
The Seahawks got a break though given the weather conditions players aren't operating at their top efficiency so that helped shape the whole game.

Teddy B played a whole lot better in this game compared to how he did against the Packers the week before. The Seahawks acknowledged they felt lucky with the win and that the Vikings get the utmost respect from them.

I am sure most of the push-back on the "lucky" angle is to make one feel good but the vast majority of folks look at the win as "lucky". Don't care. My Pops called me telling me how "lucky" my team was and that not to count on it next week. I just deleted the voicemail. Nothing I would say is going to change that lunk-head's view of the game. He may even be right but his Bears are hibernating and my local fav is planning how to beat the Panthers.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2c4danm1 said:
seahawksny":2c4danm1 said:
Hasselbeck":2c4danm1 said:
Or just own up to the fact it was 100% lucky?

Amazingly enough its actually okay to win a game with a little bit of luck

No
Because had he missed earlier in game, it's not perceived as luck, but it has same worth on scoreboard

It was luck.

But however you want to rationalize it all in your head. Go for it.

Luck is when preparedness and opportunity come together.

retro74

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21hceqcf said:
retro74":21hceqcf said:

And in all honesty if the kicker was thinking that, then the coaches should have had AP run to the right hash instead of the left..

How's that speech in Any Given Sunday go? Inches...

Maybe they did. He ran to the right hash initially then instinctively cut to the left as he saw space open up

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm decades past apologizing for lucky plays.

This is Seattle, we've been crapped on with unlucky plays, bad calls and Vinnie Testeverde's head being mistaken for the football for 35 years.

So if anyone wants to bring some "you guys got lucky" garbage into my world, they can piss the hell off.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tf57wufl said:
I'm decades past apologizing for lucky plays.

This is Seattle, we've been crapped on with unlucky plays, bad calls and Vinnie Testeverde's head being mistaken for the football for 35 years.

So if anyone wants to bring some "you guys got lucky" garbage into my world, they can piss the hell off.

I have just been saying "yes we did" and then smiling. The Prancers are gonna need even more luck If they are going to win Sunday.

cnjvh

Reaction score
What I haven't seen pointed out was that the Minn field goal was not necessarily the game winning field goal. There was 22 seconds on the clock after the missed kick. A good run back by Lockett and a long throw + getting out of bounds and we are kicking a game winning field goal of our own. A successful attempt by Minn was by no means the end of the game.

Seymour

Reaction score
It was lucky because 98 times out of 100 that field goal is made in the NFL.

Forget about everything else.