if Bev called 4 running plays and they got stuffed?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":34hhfafj said:
I think you're more likely to get hit in the head by a meteor while simultaneously seeing God's existence proven than to watch Marshawn Lynch be stopped from getting a single solitary yard on four attempts, but anything's possible.....
This X 1milliion. Their soft interior defense want no part of Lynch. Bevell is the biggest moron and if Carroll doesn't get rid of him you can put Pompom Pete right behind him.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Re: if Bev called 4 running plays and they got stuffed?

Post by SalishHawkFan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 am
If Lynch doesn't make it, I can live with that. This....this is unforgivable.

I agree whole (albeit broken...) heartedly.

If they can stop Marshawn & Russell's bread & butter read option, 3 times...
...with a MINUTE AND 5 SECONDS LEFT ON THE CLOCK...

I can live with it.

But this?
This is killing me...

There was absolutely no reason for an experienced coaching staff to, essentially, get the priorities all out of whack.

I mean, we all saw it,...basically they were all confused and started the dominoes falling by calling inexplicable timeouts after the two BIG PLAYS to the 49 and to the 5 because we couldn't get the plays called in time to snap the ball....???

Ultimately, this led to increased self-imposed pressure inside the 5, because we had just wasted our first two timeouts.

Next, chaos and confusion in the mind of Pete...
with personnel groupings, while trying to save a timeout, while trying to run the clock all the way down, while having two guys going in motion at once, trying to "waste a play so that they could stop the clock... and then, get the right personnel to run on 3rd & 4th downs..." , while thinking about "not wanting to score too soon for fear of leaving Brady reciprocating with under a minute left..."

...ALL WHILE COMMITTING THE ULTIMATE COACHING SIN... which was thinking of all of this weirdness before actually getting the winning points on the board.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!

This level of stupidity is unfathomable...
...unforgivable...

First, go up 31-28, then, bring out the defense and let the chips fall where they may with under a minute left. Duh.

Our team fought like the legendary warriors they are...
and the coaching staff cost us the game with sheer idiocy under pressure. Simple as that.

They blew the 2-minute clock management...AGAIN.
...and they blew the playcalling inside the 5... by trying to get cute, instead of giving the ball to Marshawn...AGAIN.

Its unforgivable.

Our special players. Our special team. Our special season. Our special 12 fans hopes and dreams...
All, literally, thrown away in an instant..."trying to waste a play" before... running it for reals on 3rd and 4th downs.

To paraphrase Apollo Creed, "There is no (tomorrow) 3rd or 4th down Pete..."

RUN THE BALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hawkee

Reaction score
If the Pats stuffed Lynch on all three attempts, then I believe they would have earned a hard fought victory. As much as I doubt they would deny him the endzone, we would have leaned on our most powerful weapon for that one yard. Just take the lead and put the pressure on Brady to drive down the field to get in FG range in less than 30 seconds against a defense that excels in this type of situation.

If it didn't work, so be it. There would be no second guessing.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I hate goalline passes with a passion, so absolutely id rather run.

In addition to that, running is our strength and our identity.

If we run 3 or 4 times and fail to get in then we don't deserve to win. If the Pats stuffed us at the goalline to win the game I would tip my hat to them and accept the loss.

But that is an unlikely if. The hawks score if we pound the ball.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":2eyyla7c said:
The players always say "One play at a time."

The coaches were trying to run out 26 seconds over 3 plays. They were out-thinking themselves. They tried to manufacture a scenario for 3 plays from the goal line when they only needed one play.

This.

Add to it the fact that they didn't want to leave Brady too much time. You're at the 5, don't play to get ahead, play to win. That said, I don't understand why they didn't go with play action, or a bootleg with Wilson. Seriously, you're not keeping Wilson out of the end zone if he has 3 WRs/Te's to that side and the option to run it in.

mistaowen

Reaction score
10/10 times I'm giving Marshawn the ball in that situation. He was running angry and our line was getting good push against their average interior all game. I don't see any way he is stuffed in the backfield multiple times regardless of what his prior record of 1 yard runs was. I thought he was gonna score on the play before but he barely got tripped up. You put the ball in the hands of your best player in that situation, not a risky slant to our special teams gunner.

KatarHol

Reaction score
What happened on the first drive of the second half? Wilson and Mathews got us to the redzone, we ran it three straight times, and settled for a field goal.

McGruff

Reaction score
To answer the original question, which was calling all runs and still failing, how would you feel . . .

I can guarantee that posters would be blasting Bevell for not recognizing the Patriots stacking the box and calling a pass play from a spread formation. I guarantee it. No one will admit it, but if Bevell goes non-traditional and the play fails, he gets blasted, and if Bevell goes conservative and fails he gets blasted as well.

Being an OC is the hardest job in the NFL IMO. Easy to second guess, but hard to evaluate all the factors that go into a play call and execution.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A truth our coaching staff forgot in the pressure of the moment: It is about players, not plays. Just becasue you think you can beat somebody blindfolded and with a hand tied behind your back doesn't mean you should, and we tried to beat the Pats just that way.

At his prime, would you have had Joey Cora pinch hit for Ken Griffey?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":1a3yja5i said:
The players always say "One play at a time."

The coaches were trying to run out 26 seconds over 3 plays. They were out-thinking themselves. They tried to manufacture a scenario for 3 plays from the goal line when they only needed one play.

Yup. They played the matchup and the clock instead of just sticking with the "we do what we do" mantra. It was a mistake, plain and simple.

KatarHol

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9ksy6xm4 said:
A truth our coaching staff forgot in the pressure of the moment: It is about players, not plays. Just becasue you think you can beat somebody blindfolded and with a hand tied behind your back doesn't mean you should, and we tried to beat the Pats just that way.

Throwing at their fifth string rookie cb was playing blindfolded with a hand behind our back?

mistaowen

Reaction score
KatarHol":385ubh88 said:
Scottemojo":385ubh88 said:

Throwing at their fifth string rookie cb was playing blindfolded with a hand behind our back?

When you have the best RB in the NFL dragging tacklers all game needing 1 yard behind a line getting good push, yes.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":1mnctbde said:
KatarHol":1mnctbde said:
Scottemojo":1mnctbde said:

When you have the best RB in the NFL dragging tacklers all game needing 1 yard behind a line getting good push, yes.

Exactly. The playcall itself in a vacuum isn't a terrible one, necessarily. What makes it a bad call is that we had Lynch, who had been getting positive yardage the entire game. I think the Pats could have stopped the Hawks once on a run. I don't think they'd have stopped them twice.

KatarHol

Reaction score
mistaowen":3sfdo4ib said:
KatarHol":3sfdo4ib said:
Scottemojo":3sfdo4ib said:

Except Lynch was 1 for 5 in runs from the 1 yard line. They had 8 guys in the box and we had 6 available blockers. Running into that is playing with an arm tied behind your back.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I have no problem calling a pass play at that moment, my issue is mostly with that pass play. Throwing to the middle will have a higher risk with it, which it did.

Its over the pain is starting to subside and what if's are just that.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
KatarHol":19jwm9h7 said:
mistaowen":19jwm9h7 said:
KatarHol":19jwm9h7 said:
Scottemojo":19jwm9h7 said:

Except Lynch was 1 for 5 in runs from the 1 yard line.

Not in that game, he wasn't.

mistaowen

Reaction score
KatarHol":2s7xdudz said:
mistaowen":2s7xdudz said:
KatarHol":2s7xdudz said:
Scottemojo":2s7xdudz said:

Except Lynch was 1 for 5 in runs from the 1 yard line. They had 8 guys in the box and we had 6 available blockers. Running into that is playing with an arm tied behind your back.

The Pats gave up 5 TDs on 6 attempts this year in one yard situations. I don't understand how you feel so certain Marshawn Lynch who can drag much better defensive players than the Pats have 3 yards down field wouldn't get into the end zone from one yard out.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
First off, they could have ran 4 run plays easily. The frist down play was done with about a minute on the clock. No one had called a TO at that point. So you could definitely run 3 more run plays in a minute espcially if one is a QB sneak, which it should have been. Run on 2nd. Call a TO with 20 seconds left and call 2 plays in the huddle.

This whole situation is an example of perfection being the worst enemy of excellence. Yes, throwing a pass there could be optimal in a vaccum or a textbook. But it was clearly the wrong call in that situation, in the most high leverage situation in football history and with the matchups at hand.

At the end of the day, YOU MUST ENSURE YOU GET THE POINTS. Everything else, is secondary.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2mq2i0v8 said:
At the end of the day, YOU MUST ENSURE YOU GET THE POINTS. Everything else, is secondary.

This. This. A thousand times this.

Carroll was already thinking about the clock, about how to manage it so the Pats wouldn't have time to push for a tying FG. But we didn't have the points yet. That's the one thing that gets me. So what if they tie it up? So we go to OT. Better that than to lose by doing something wrong from the 1.

mistaowen

Reaction score
volsunghawk":egx6fq98 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":egx6fq98 said:

This. This. A thousand times this.

Carroll was already thinking about the clock, about how to manage it so the Pats wouldn't have time to push for a tying FG. But we didn't have the points yet. That's the one thing that gets me. So what if they tie it up? So we go to OT. Better that than to lose by doing something wrong from the 1.

I think it all comes down to Pete/Bevell/whoever assuming Belichick is going to take a time out in that situation and when the clock kept moving it caught them off guard. Do you think it was more to do with him conceding to give up a TD as fast as possible or trusting his defense? I remember in the Giants Super Bowl a few years ago he did take a timeout in a very similar situation and then Brady got sacked on their final drive with no time outs left.

Latest posts