If Russ doesn't care...

W

Welshers

Why did he spent half the off-season practicing with DK? Why does he spend over a million dollars annually on staying in top physical shape? I'm sick and tired of all this stuff about Russ being distracted or not caring. He has a life off the field, so what? How dare he visit sick children!

The fact is everyone who knows the guy gives testament to his absolutely insane work ethic and dedication to the game. He loves football. Criticize his play all you want, but don't get into his personal life. He had all the personal things like the podcast going on during the first half of the season when he was playing lights out. So those things weren't effecting him then but suddenly made him play much worse? Yeah, I don't buy it. I see a direct correlation from him playing worse to when our scheme changed.

MJ started the whole branding thing. It certainly didn't distract him from basketball or neuter his play. Tom Brady does it as well with his TB12 brand (maybe even more than Wilson) and also has a supermodel wife and yet no one questions him. This is just a thing athlete's do. We all have hobbies. If Russ wants to do a one hour podcast once a week, so what? And I don't buy the other shit like the perfume and clothing brand stuff distracting him. I highly doubt he has almost anything to do with that. Maybe he signs a few papers, that's it. He is focused on football.

stang233

Reaction score
Brady is a poor example. He always took team friendly deals to surround himself with talent. I believe he cares. He also cares about other stuff though. Idk.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I second that using Tom Brady is a poor example!

As much as I couldn't stand the Patriots, there's important difference between Russ and Tom Brady:

Tom put his ego aside and took $20 LESS per year for the good of his team. This article specifically states Tom Brady's $15 million salary versus Russell Wilson's 35 million:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-bra ... mel-2019-5

Tom recognized the financial aspect of the salary cap and said it was worth taking less money and paying for good players around him. An added benefit would be enhanced loyalty by teammates not to mention setting an example of "Team first".

I didn't like the Patriots but I respect that Tom put his money where is mouth was. Like he says in the article, "How much money do you really need?"

I also like his modesty regarding publicity and appreciate his dedication to football. He seems to be a private person and not trying to glam it up with constant media contributions via social posts.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
If Wilson had the talent surrounding him that the Rams do he would be so much better. Running for your life every play gets old. If Pete and John cared and worked as hard as Wilson, we wouldn't have lost the the Rams Saturday.

As good as Rus is a a NFL QB, he is an even better person and outstanding role model for young people everywhere.

ducks41468

Reaction score
It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he's no longer good. He hasn't improved for years and he doesn't have a coaching staff that's interested or able to help him do so.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
ducks41468":2qja7hqr said:
It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he's no longer good. He hasn't improved for years and he doesn't have a coaching staff that's interested or able to help him do so.

Man some of you guys are just pathetic. Didnt improve. I guess 40 tds and over 4000 yards is underachieving. You guys are honestly the biggest bunch of crybaby losers I have ever seen. I guess your right though...avoiding an entire offensive scheme change he should have had 7000 yards on the season with 60 tds.
Some of you people on here...shouldnt even speak...with your low and very counter productive arguments.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want, as long as you deliver the results.

When you want to do other stuff, and you deliver results in the playoffs (like, you know, Tom Brady?) everything is fine.

When you fail to deliver results in the playoffs (you know, the point of the regular season?)

Then you cannot do the other stuff.

(PS Comparing Brady to Wilson is ridiculous. Brady has accomplished enough in the playoffs to do whatever he wants)

Wilson wants to be recognized as great but not actually have to accomplish what the greats have.

I don't even think you can consider Wilson a Great. He is not consistent.

Wilson is a player that has incredible highs and some really bad lows. His highs are flashes of greatness. But he is not consistently great anymore. He WAS.

But you know, as Wilson himself said, The Separation is in the Preparation. And he is not separating. Or he is allowing his head coach to neuter him.

I don't think this is just a function of the loss of his mobility. Remember when he was playing with a high ankle sprain, unable to move and putting up incredible numbers? Remember he was able to make incredible plays in the playoffs (Vikings game) despite it?

Great players do not do what he has done in the playoffs for FIVE years straight now. He is now in the very good category, that rises to greatness but never sustains it. His greatness is relegated to the regular season.

Wilson stopped focusing on being a great QB and started a handful of other projects. If he was producing in the playoffs, no problem. But he isn't so it is a problem. Right now I would rather have Josh Allen, and I would have never said that before this season.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
You bring up MJ as an example of how somebody can manage his brand, his family, etc and still play the game at the highest level and more importantly continue to win championships. But MJ had his entire team by the balls. If somebody made a mistake or wasn't playing or even practicing hard enough, MJ was all over it. He was a leader. Is Russ being as good of a leader as MJ was? Or is he leaving some on the table?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The LOB called Wilson out for being the coach pet.

What did Wilson in was getting too close to Paul Allen.

Wilson started aspiring to be Allen instead of a great football player. Then came tons of startups, projects, etc.

You can do that stuff. Montana did a ton of startups, interviews, etc. But he did it after his career was done and he did it after the regular season.

Brady does it all the time, but he EARNED that right. Wilson has not earned it.

The day Wilson starts to make demands and publicly rebuke/shake off Pete - is the day we get better.

But it is hard to demand attention, focus, and greatness from your teammates for the playoffs when you don't do those things.

The LOB was right about Wilson. So was Lynch. Wilson was coddled and he dutifully followed Pete even when it hurt the team.

Is does not mean that Wilson is not amazing. Just that he lost the chance to really take that next step. A number of other QBs have now passed him. He isn't close to the #2 QB now. Maybe #4. Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers are all above him now and by a large margin.

He is now on the downside of his career and really only has 2 SB that are more the product of a great defense and incredible run game than him. He never really reached that Aaron Rodgers / Joe Montana / Steve Young level of carrying a team to the SB as the primary weapon.

Which is still the greatest QB in Seahawk history, just a little bit of a bummer because yes he left that on the table.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I would take any article referencing Tom Brady's low salary in NE with a grain of salt. I would say with what is known about NE's willingness to do "whatever it takes" it is more likely than not that Brady received whatever the going rate for QB was in other ways.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MO Hawk":mub489dg said:
If Wilson had the talent surrounding him that the Rams do he would be so much better. Running for your life every play gets old. If Pete and John cared and worked as hard as Wilson, we wouldn't have lost the the Rams Saturday.

As good as Rus is a a NFL QB, he is an even better person and outstanding role model for young people everywhere.

This is the most talent Russell's had around him in his entire tenure with the Hawks.

So I'm not buying what you're selling on this topic. Pete, Schotty and Russ, that's who's to blame for how terrible the offense has looked over the last half of the season.

They knew good defenses figured them out, and either they all were stubborn to change, or they failed miserably in how to change schematically and tactically to counteract what defenses were doing.

What we saw Saturday was the worst playoff loss in Pete's time here, and they all need to own whatever garbage game plan they rolled out.

Hell, even Adam Gase said he knew that the ONLY key to tell Darnold when they played the Rams was one thing and one thing only.................GET THE BALL OUT. So what do we do? Same stupid slow plodding run the playclock down predictable line up and get punched in the mouth by a far more talented and nasty defense play after play after play.

Just freaking awful gameplan and playcalling.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah wouldn't doubt the Patriots would do under the table shenanigan. Also, Brady took the paycut when he was 37years old. He had the top 5 pay.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":ijw9ncv0 said:
ducks41468":ijw9ncv0 said:

Man some of you guys are just pathetic. Didnt improve. I guess 40 tds and over 4000 yards is underachieving. You guys are honestly the biggest bunch of crybaby losers I have ever seen. I guess your right though...avoiding an entire offensive scheme change he should have had 7000 yards on the season with 60 tds.
Some of you people on here...shouldnt even speak...with your low and very counter productive arguments.

Raw numbers, totals...he improved. By percentages...not really. The individual 2020 numbers are a result of more passing plays overall. His Comp%, TD%, Int%, Y/A, Y/C, Sack% are essentially all in line with his career averages. There is really little in the data to consider "improvement" over his entire career, actually. The gross production increase over time jives almost perfectly with his increase in pass attempts, over time, and NOT any per-pass-attempt "improvement". Because there is literally zero per-pass-attempt improvement over his entire career.

Comp% TD% INT% Y/A Y/C Sack%
2012: 64.1 6.6 2.5 7.9 12.4 7.7
careeer: 65.1 6.2 1.9 7.8 12.0 8.3
2020: 68.8 7.2 2.3 7.5 11.0 7.8

When you have data like this, with career averages bracketed on both ends by rookie and 2020 season averages....it's really, really difficult to make any argument about improvement over the course of a now 9-year career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... lsRu00.htm

This is what improvement looks like in those exact same categories. (same website, this time for Josh Allen's 3-year career):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... leJo02.htm

OP
OP
W

Welshers

fenderbender123":35bsd4zs said:
You bring up MJ as an example of how somebody can manage his brand, his family, etc and still play the game at the highest level and more importantly continue to win championships. But MJ had his entire team by the balls. If somebody made a mistake or wasn't playing or even practicing hard enough, MJ was all over it. He was a leader. Is Russ being as good of a leader as MJ was? Or is he leaving some on the table?
I mean Russ seems like one hell of a good leader to me. Everyone looks up to him and he is constantly pumping up the guys.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fans love to create what THEY think is going on. As if they actually know.
Yeah, Russ is the problem, and his teammates don't like him. Keep telling yourself that, even w/NO proof of it.
It's shocking how much people don't like this guy and/or just feel the need to bash him at every possible chance they get. Actually, it's sad and embarrassing...…..

rcaido

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":176px04r said:
jamescasey1124":176px04r said:
ducks41468":176px04r said:

Raw numbers, totals...he improved. By percentages...not really. The individual 2020 numbers are a result of more passing plays overall. His Comp%, TD%, Int%, Y/A, Y/C, Sack% are essentially all in line with his career averages. There is really little in the data to consider "improvement" over his entire career, actually. The gross production increase over time jives almost perfectly with his increase in pass attempts, over time, and NOT any per-pass-attempt "improvement". Because there is literally zero per-pass-attempt improvement over his entire career.

When you have data like this, with career averages bracketed on both ends by rookie and 2020 season averages....it's really, really difficult to make any argument about improvement over the course of a now 9-year career.

This is what improvement looks like in those exact same categories. (same website, this time for Josh Allen's 3-year career):

You really want to compare a guy who only had 3 season and 2 of the seasons were not good at all...To a guy playing high level for 9 seasons?

Marino first 4 years were his best, does that mean he was no longer hall fame qb who did not improve?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He is literally HISTORICALLY great over his first 9 years. But go ahead and ignore it and act like he hasn't been one of the best in the league his entire time here. Let alone back to back super bowls, most wins etc.
JFC this place.....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":f1tztuxu said:
I second that using Tom Brady is a poor example!

As much as I couldn't stand the Patriots, there's important difference between Russ and Tom Brady:

Tom put his ego aside and took $20 LESS per year for the good of his team. This article specifically states Tom Brady's $15 million salary versus Russell Wilson's 35 million:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-bra ... mel-2019-5

Tom recognized the financial aspect of the salary cap and said it was worth taking less money and paying for good players around him. An added benefit would be enhanced loyalty by teammates not to mention setting an example of "Team first".

I didn't like the Patriots but I respect that Tom put his money where is mouth was. Like he says in the article, "How much money do you really need?"

I also like his modesty regarding publicity and appreciate his dedication to football. He seems to be a private person and not trying to glam it up with constant media contributions via social posts.
Okay, so let's explore this "Taking Less" to better his team; Does anyone really believe that any money that Russ leaves on the table for that scenario, that Pete would put it towards the betterment of the Offense & not use it to bolster his Defense?..Yeah, me neither.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2x5l3hbz said:
Fans love to create what THEY think is going on. As if they actually know.
Yeah, Russ is the problem, and his teammates don't like him. Keep telling yourself that, even w/NO proof of it.
It's shocking how much people don't like this guy and/or just feel the need to bash him at every possible chance they get. Actually, it's sad and embarrassing...…..
No, it is NOT "Sad", nor is it "Embarrassing", IT IS STUPID. :pukeface:

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
rcaido":3dt7e36e said:
LoneHawkFan":3dt7e36e said:
jamescasey1124":3dt7e36e said:
ducks41468":3dt7e36e said:

You really want to compare a guy who only had 3 season and 2 of the seasons were not good at all...To a guy playing high level for 9 seasons?

Marino first 4 years were his best, does that mean he was no longer hall fame qb who did not improve?

I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing how they have improved over their careers. Comparing their improvement, their maturation, their growth...using basic QB metrics. Granted, Josh is only 3 years in...but over the course of those three seasons, he has absolutely, noticeably improved in all metrics mentioned above. Vast, huge strides from year 1 to year 2, then again from year 2 to year 3...to the point where his stats this season- with almost identical pass attempts as RW- have put him at at least the same level as RW, probably higher. He had a better season than RW in 2020 because he IMPROVED IMMENSELY over each of his first two seasons. IMMENSELY.

RW has not improved over the course of his career like this- he's just been able to throw the ball more often. His 2020 metrics aren't much different AT ALL than his ROOKIE 2012 campaign metrics. AND...his 9-year averages are all the same as well.

Sure he has improved at some aspects of his game...but the data doesn't lie: his actual production growth has only occurred because he is passing more often. All of his "per pass attempt" numbers are essentially the same every season. Almost zero improvement.