If the Mariners were in the World Series . . .

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Mariners will NEVER make a World Series.

With the current management (not just the manager) and the current ownership it simply will not happen. Maybe if an entirely new ownership group appeared, cleaned house and brought in all new people? Maybe. But it will never happen with any of the current group and I say that with certainty.

I grew up going to Mariner games, listening to them on the radio and watching them on TV. As a kid, I used to be a fan. I haven't watched a game in half a decade now, maybe more.

There is a reason.

The Mariners don't want to win and I do not say that as hyperbole.

Their goal is to be at a certain level of attendance, which requires reaching the playoffs occasionally. Anything beyond that is counter-productive to their goal. I don't think you will ever even see the Mariners win a division in my lifetime, not that I would notice.

What the Mariners do is make the playoffs enough to keep the attendance levels and any advancement beyond that is discouraged (or at least it was).

12thManNorth

Reaction score
The Mariners make the playoffs ? I went to the playoffs the last time they were in and can hardly remember it, it's been so long

rsm650

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3mtkscs8 said:
The Mariners will NEVER make a World Series.

With the current management (not just the manager) and the current ownership it simply will not happen. Maybe if an entirely new ownership group appeared, cleaned house and brought in all new people? Maybe. But it will never happen with any of the current group and I say that with certainty.

I grew up going to Mariner games, listening to them on the radio and watching them on TV. As a kid, I used to be a fan. I haven't watched a game in half a decade now, maybe more.

There is a reason.

The Mariners don't want to win and I do not say that as hyperbole.

Their goal is to be at a certain level of attendance, which requires reaching the playoffs occasionally. Anything beyond that is counter-productive to their goal. I don't think you will ever even see the Mariners win a division in my lifetime, not that I would notice.

What the Mariners do is make the playoffs enough to keep the attendance levels and any advancement beyond that is discouraged (or at least it was).

Who knows? Sometime in the future, the Seahawks will be a mediocre team and the Mariners will make the World Series (likely with different ownership as you said). I bet no one in the 90s ever thought that the Seahawks would see a Super Bowl in 2005. Thank the lord for Paul Allen!!

Veilside

Reaction score
Mariners in the World Series.

I don't think it's that far fetched either because they are like the equivalent of the Cowboys talent wise. They just seem to continue to under perform and can't pull it together to create wins. Age wise they are a very young team and we just haven't been able to find any super stars that can produce straight out of the gate since Felix. Before we brought up the majority of our top prospects (in a desperation move) last season we had easily a top 5 farm system, now we just need to let that talent develop in the big leagues which can take time, especially if they've been brought up too early (they probably were).

I can't blame anyone for sleeping on the M's right now because the real problem is the upper management, and that problem tends to linger forever despite the talent on the team. That said, just like I'm not at all surprised to see the Hawks as SB contenders, I wouldn't be surprised to see the M's as WS contenders in the next couple years.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Given the choice, I'd rather the Seahawks win a preseason game than the Mariners win game 7 of the world series. I could care less about the Mariners, but not much less. I technically want them to win, but so barely that it's a non-issue in my life. Mostly, the Mariners irritate me because their broadcast hijacks ESPN radio far too often.

chawx

Reaction score
If I had a choice between Game 7 of the World Series with the M's playing or an autograph signing for the guy who polishes the Seahawks helmets at a Denny's, I'd go to the autograph signing... Baseball sucks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
C'mon man. World Series > regular season football game.

Even if you hate baseball, how many times in your life do you get a chance to see your local team in the World Series?

Erebus

Reaction score
For those that hate baseball, they will always choose the Seahawks. But since its been so long since the Mariners were good, people forget what it was like and have soured on baseball. Winning will take care of that. In the mid-to-late 90s and early 2000s (especially 1995 and 2001) Seattle loved baseball. If you asked that same question back then, when the Seahawks sucked, most people would choose seeing the Mariners in the World Series.

I think in the highly unlikely event that the Mariners are good again (actually they would have to be great, because we're talking WS, which is even less likely), I think a majority of Seattle sports fans would choose the Mariners. Before getting that far, they would obviously have to have a good season which would generate quite a bit of interest.

What's even less likely is the chance that both teams are good/great at the same time. Has never happened and will probably never happen, so we're looking at a scenario in 20 years when Wilson and Carroll are retired, the Seahawks are mediocre again, and the Mariners are under new ownership and management.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Hell I would choose the Avalanche in a Stanley Cup game, The M's or Rockies in the series or The Blazers in the finals over a regular season hawks game......its just not the same vibe

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I wouldn't go to the World Series if I was given a free ticket. I have zero interest in it. Now if we were talking the ducks or the blazers in a title situation at the same time as a regular season seahawks game I'd be watching the title game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If it were the Cubs in the World Series and I had to change to go, you'd better believe I would. I *might* do it even if it weren't the Cubs, but it'd be a much tougher decision.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
The M's have sucked forever, so it's easy for people to scoff. But if they were in the WS, the city of Seattle would be out of it's mind. I hate the current ownership as much as anyone. But Seattle is a sports city that gets behind it's teams 1,000% when they are competitive and put out a product worth the fans' while. A bit bandwagon, sure. But every local team that I've experienced in my life that's been playoff worthy has received nothing but love and crazed excitement from the city. It wasn't THAT long ago (ok, maybe it kinda was) that the M's were the darlings of the city and the Hawks were the afterthought would hadn't made the playoffs in a decade. Perspective is key, fellas.

davidonmi

Reaction score
mariners, hands down. I've been dying for a championship baseball team and if they finally get there no way I am choosing some reg season game over it

Hawknight

Reaction score
Is there a "Watch Snow Melt" option other than watching the Mariners in the World Series (couldn't say that with a straight face). Isn't the Mariners and World Series an Oxymoron? :sarcasm_off:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ajrcbx2 said:
C'mon man. World Series > regular season football game.

Even if you hate baseball, how many times in your life do you get a chance to see your local team in the World Series?

This.

I've been to probably 2 Mariner games in the last 5 years. And the only reason i went to those was to sit outside in the nice weather and drink beer. :)

But our team in the World Series? C'mon guys that's a big deal!!