If the NFL can send teams to England... why can't the MLS?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the NFL will be in a fight with someone that is equal or greater for once if it comes to a head, forgive me for my lack of structural knowledge of the game there but the Soccer clubs have not stirred things up yet, they are bigger and more followed then the NFL, they have a long history and following that they have built and I think don't want a so called upstart crossing the water to push their weight around.

The NFL is used to calling shots to get their way because of the money they bring in, that won't be the case their in direct competition, it would be the reverse of what we have here with the MLS, except the MLS knew they had a Gorilla in the room with the NFL and worked with the team in their domain here in Seattle versus try to compete.

NFL doesn't want competition, it is proven with the mergers over the years of a upstart league that gets support, AFL and I think back further another merger.

That won't happen in Europe and Britain.

Novelty is one thing, direct competition for fans, stadiums, and merchandise is a whole other ball game. Where we do have NFL owners that have a stake in the Soccer leagues, are they gonna pony up money and time to sway the other owners to accept a league in their home turf as well?

Also I have to think without players from the country on teams the interest will wane rather quickly after the novelty wears off not having players from their own country to support attendance will begin to falter.

Which means you have to develop them somehow, another competition with Soccer.

cdallan

Reaction score
I'm not turning up to an MLS match again unless I am getting a game.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":b3v5nstz said:
Because, with respect, not many people in the UK could name an MLS team never mind get off their arse and go and watch them.

I believe that Team USA are playing Colombia at Fulham FC tomorrow and I'd be very surprised if that was well attended.

Over 21,000 tickets sold for that game. Craven Cottage holds 25,700, so it is nearly sold out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1iprqkgm said:
UK_Seahawk":1iprqkgm said:
Because, with respect, not many people in the UK could name an MLS team never mind get off their arse and go and watch them.

I believe that Team USA are playing Colombia at Fulham FC tomorrow and I'd be very surprised if that was well attended.

Over 21,000 tickets sold for that game. Craven Cottage holds 25,700, so it is nearly sold out.

Good news, but as we know from how crazy people get during the World Cup, national team interest is FAR greater than just your run of the mill MLS team interest.

If it was Sporting KC playing a Columbian club, or even Fulham my guess is the attendance would be very small.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3p00eosw said:
Seahawks1983":3p00eosw said:
UK_Seahawk":3p00eosw said:

Good news, but as we know from how crazy people get during the World Cup, national team interest is FAR greater than just your run of the mill MLS team interest.

If it was Sporting KC playing a Columbian club, or even Fulham my guess is the attendance would be very small.

if Fulham was playing, it would be sold out.

that said, i will be interested to see what the crowd turn out is (US or Colombian supporters, more of just a general curiosity of locals?)