If we had just sat Wilson we would have been fine

themunn

Reaction score
If we had just sat Wilson for the Miami game he'd have never got injured in the first place.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pwr2j04 said:
Then we would have had 1 more loss but a lot more upside.

He's getting healthier each week anyway.

We would have had one more loss, period, nothing more.

nategreat

Reaction score
Everyone seems to know everything don't they?

Just because he did or didn't play in certain games doesn't mean anything. You can't say with certainty anything really. First of all, none of us know how long it would have taken him to reach full recovery anyway. What if it would have taken him 8 weeks to reach full recovery? Do we rest him 8 weeks? If so, there likely goes the season. Maybe not, who knows. I guarantee you that he wouldn't have continued to play if there was a sizable risk in doing so. The doctors likely assured him that with the brace, and with his MCL's condition, he would be alright to play.

Second of all, let's say we rest him a few weeks and he's feeling great. Maybe he decides to run more, and maybe he hurts himself in a different way. Like I said, nobody knows the future. It's like the butterfly effect: one thing leads to another, and every effect is significantly changed with each cause, no matter how small.

Thirdly, he's developed in the pocket since being hurt. He's had a couple "bad" games, but he's also been pretty good too.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
By "good" you mean unable to score a TD to save his life?

Wilson is stellar, almost unfathomable as a QB when healthy.

And his willingness to endure the pain or somehow play through injury is admirable. But it also hurts the team.

And yes, if he cannot go, you pretty much have to shutter the season - because as good as this defense is, they cannot win on their own considering the changes to the rules that favor the offense.

Instead of having a reasonable option at backup QB, we went with a rookie (?!?!) while knowing we had no OL to protect our most valuable asset, Wilson. So Wilson gets injured and we don't have a Plan B.

Instead, we have a rookie that can contribute nothing and a defense that will fight valiantly but ultimately lose because our team cannot score TDs.

But when Wilson has been hurt, he has been terrible. Our offense cannot put the ball in the EZ, which is the goal of an offensive drive. So all you can hope is that sitting Wilson will heal him faster, EVEN IF THE NEXT GUY IS WORSE.

As it is, this year isn't the year. It should be clear to anyone watching more than one game.

So yes, if you have to sit him so we at least are better next year, then fine. An injured Wilson does not help us this year and might even make us worse next if he gets hurt more or does not heal.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28v2jt2j said:
Then we would have had 1 more loss but a lot more upside.

But it wasn't a given that he would be completely healthy if we sat him against the Jets. So we lose that game and we still have a gimpy Wilson.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Wasn't Wilson healthy when he was first injured? Maybe we should just keep him on the bench for the rest of the season. He wont get hurt there.

Jville

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2is106x9 said:
Wasn't Wilson healthy when he was first injured? Maybe we should just keep him on the bench for the rest of the season. He wont get hurt there.

Maybe we could put him in a bubble so all the resident snowflakes wouldn't melt down anytime someone breathed on him.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
When the Hawks play the next big game, any one that really matters, then who's brain and stamina do you choose to run this thing - Russel Wilson or UDFA rookie 'Trevone Boykin'?

Get real.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Boykin is absolute garbage. If he ever plays, it's not fine. conceding on best chance to win.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
I am a realist. Wilson has serious injuries that will not heal with continued playing time and e risks serious injuries by playing behind men on the O line who are either brand new to their jobs or have very little experience. It might be this is worse O line put together since 2010.

Why the team management keeps going cheap on the O line and not elsewhere on the team is beyond me. We have an 18 million dollar QB playing behind a 25 cent O line and now he has 3 injuries to battle through. Thanks to the team, Coach Caroll and Wilson being stubborn, Wilson will play until a catastrophic injury occurs and Russ is done for the year. We will be lucky to go 6-9-1.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
This shit is out of control. Seriously.

Bench Wilson = conceding the season.

Historical defenses come around once a generation and they don't last long.

Stealers, Bears, Ravens, Seahawks, respectively. You cannot concede an entire season while you're within that window of generational defensive football. It's irresponsible to do so. Any coach that would do so, should be let go.

PLEASE STOP!!!!!!

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3beio0wv said:
The stupidity of continuing to play a damaged/injured QB has come home to roost

If we just sit Wilson after the Miami game, we lose to the Rams and maybe even beat the 49ers - but even if we lost to them Wilson never gets that 2nd injury.

I would have been fine bringing him back against the Jets, but even if we held him out - we probably would have been better off.

Because now, in order to avoid losing 2-3 games without Wilson, we are very likely to lose another 4-5 WITH him. We certainly are very likely to lose 2 of the next 3 if not 3. I don't see us having a shot against the Panthers or Packers either (since we cannot score and they do). Somehow we have to pin our hopes on righting the ship against a team that always seems to have our #, the Rams.

Then maybe with some wins against the Cards and 49ers we somehow squeak into a lead, assuming the Cards lose a lot along the way too.

But if we had sat Wilson, as I had been pleading, we would probably be sitting pretty to go on a run right now. Instead, the next 3 games are probably the ones where the bottom falls out.

Every game is as important as the next and I think you play your best players if they can go. Do you really think Boykin is ready to play and be able to win with our o-line?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":1qdbotrk said:
I am a realist. Wilson has serious injuries that will not heal with continued playing time and e risks serious injuries by playing behind men on the O line who are either brand new to their jobs or have very little experience. It might be this is worse O line put together since 2010.

Why the team management keeps going cheap on the O line and not elsewhere on the team is beyond me. We have an 18 million dollar QB playing behind a 25 cent O line and now he has 3 injuries to battle through. Thanks to the team, Coach Caroll and Wilson being stubborn, Wilson will play until a catastrophic injury occurs and Russ is done for the year. We will be lucky to go 6-9-1.

He has been healing and it is pretty obvious. Also his injury to his pec has nothing to do with his leg injuries, these things happen. We have been extremely lucky that these are the first notable injuries (in all respects he is really just hurt, not injured) RW has had.

If Russell was "seriously inured" he would not be able to play, bottom line. Professional football players play through these things which many on this forum are having a hard time accepting.

Steve2222

Reaction score
The people who think Wilson is the problem crack me up. By the way, Treyvone Boykin would do some good things.....however the mistakes he would make as a raw rookie would greatly overshadow his playmaking ability. We don't have a backup QB who could weather the storm to get Wilson healthy.

aredub

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1q74gchp said:
The stupidity of continuing to play a damaged/injured QB has come home to roost

If we just sit Wilson after the Miami game, we lose to the Rams and maybe even beat the 49ers - but even if we lost to them Wilson never gets that 2nd injury.

What? Your logic doesn't make any sense. We've been in every game and Wilson has put us in a position to win. Stuff happens, but saying he wouldn't get second injury is ridiculous. That's like saying, we shouldn't have started him against Miami, he wouldn't have gotten that injury. You can't play the what if game. For me I love that we have a quarterback who wants to play and is giving it all. Keep in mind, after his second injury he went off, 300+ yards and 3 TDs.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I still have hope that it's mostly the brace holding him back. That's what the news outlets keep pushing.