If we just had average defense

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They look like they aren't even trying to shed them

Did you read the Irvin article? My guess is no, or else you still wouldn't be confused about this topic.

To paraphrase, he's saying I'm not going to risk everything I've got if my teammates aren't going to also risk it all to do more than just their assignments. They need to do more."

In defensive schemes everyone has their assignment. Set the edge, take up their blocker so others can make the play, shoot the correct gaps, etc.

The Hawk's D gets worn down to the point where most of the defenders are just manning up on blocks, and not shedding them or dictating/attacking in numbers to stop the run at the point of attack, and not getting dragged downfield. Thus the 100 yards given up after contact alarming stat.

So for the 4th time, change the schemes all you want, you still don't have the talent and dogs on this defense to force their will like they need to in order to match the will and intensity of their opponents.

Eight in the box and leave the corners on islands, that's the only way I see this getting better. Against 2nd and 3rd string backups there should be no excuses. Make the other team beat you through the air.

cymatica

Reaction score
Did you read the Irvin article? My guess is no, or else you still wouldn't be confused about this topic.

To paraphrase, he's saying I'm not going to risk everything I've got if my teammates aren't going to also risk it all to do more than just their assignments. They need to do more."

In defensive schemes everyone has their assignment. Set the edge, take up their blocker so others can make the play, shoot the correct gaps, etc.

The Hawk's D gets worn down to the point where most of the defenders are just manning up on blocks, and not shedding them or dictating/attacking in numbers to stop the run at the point of attack, and not getting dragged downfield. Thus the 100 yards given up after contact alarming stat.

So for the 4th time, change the schemes all you want, you still don't have the talent and dogs on this defense to force their will like they need to in order to match the will and intensity of their opponents.

Eight in the box and leave the corners on islands, that's the only way I see this getting better. Against 2nd and 3rd string backups there should be no excuses. Make the other team beat you through the air.
You act like scheme doesn't matter, when in fact, it's the coaches job to adapt the defense to the players they've got. It's not like we have a new head coach who didn't pick his players. These are all Pete and Johns' players that they selected. Pete picked the defensive coaching staff. These are the players they evaluated and deemed a good fit for what they were trying to do and this is the coaching staff he selected. Pete and co are the ones who coached these players up since they got here.

toffee

Reaction score
Broncos with a HC with background in offense are praying for an average offense,
Seahawks with a HC with background in defense are praying for an average defense,
Football God moves in mysterious ways.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You act like scheme doesn't matter, when in fact, it's the coaches job to adapt the defense to the players they've got. It's not like we have a new head coach who didn't pick his players. These are all Pete and Johns' players that they selected. Pete picked the defensive coaching staff. These are the players they evaluated and deemed a good fit for what they were trying to do and this is the coaching staff he selected. Pete and co are the ones who coached these players up since they got here.

Of course scheme matters, but fans throw it out there like it's some magical cure all when one or the other side of the ball is struggling.

The Hawks have played 4-3, 3-4, cover 2, cover 3, man, under zones, bear front, mix of all of them. You name the scheme we've seen it this year.

What schematically do you see that's the reason the defense stinks? Cause you and others keep saying the word, but you have no idea what it actually means.

If you do, please enlighten us with your scheme and coaching expertise.

cymatica

Reaction score
Of course scheme matters, but fans throw it out there like it's some magical cure all when one or the other side of the ball is struggling.

The Hawks have played 4-3, 3-4, cover 2, cover 3, man, under zones, bear front, mix of all of them. You name the scheme we've seen it this year.

What schematically do you see that's the reason the defense stinks? Cause you and others keep saying the word, but you have no idea what it actually means.

If you do, please enlighten us with your scheme and coaching expertise.
I never claimed there was a magical scheme solution or 4-3 was the answer, or that I'm some expert. I said coaches are to blame much as the players. Coaching goes beyond just pure scheme. You are lumping me in with other posts you've read and strawmanning what I've actually said.

You obviously have the expertise beyond anyone here because you are 100% certain the coaches are not to blame for any of this, so how about you enlighten us with your godlike football knowledge. I'm all ears...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I never claimed there was a magical scheme solution or 4-3 was the answer, or that I'm some expert. I said coaches are to blame much as the players. Coaching goes beyond just pure scheme. You are lumping me in with other posts you've read and strawmanning what I've actually said.

You obviously have the expertise beyond anyone here because you are 100% certain the coaches are not to blame for any of this, so how about you enlighten us with your godlike football knowledge. I'm all ears...

I keep linking up player interviews and articles for you to read explaining, but apparent you don't trust them?

Idk. some fans are stubborn when their opinion doesn't fit the narrative.

Here are some more articles for you.

Here's Nwousu talking about it;

Here's Pete talking about how different the defense played when Woods went out.

Here's Greg Bell talking about how talent depleted and lack of physicality the defense is playing with.

Is this enough for you, or do you want to keep running around the track some more?

cymatica

Reaction score
I keep linking up player interviews and articles for you to read explaining, but apparent you don't trust them?

Idk. some fans are stubborn when their opinion doesn't fit the narrative.

Here are some more articles for you.

Here's Nwousu talking about it;

Here's Pete talking about how different the defense played when Woods went out.

Here's Greg Bell talking about how talent depleted and lack of physicality the defense is playing with.

Is this enough for you, or do you want to keep running around the track some more?

Lol, players talking to press in a locker room doesn't prove a thing. Nwosu said the same exact things players always say to the press, no insight there. The Pete audio clip actually proved my point, he pretty much hinted at the fact they need to find better ways to utilize the talent they got and they are trying to find ways to make the players fit the scheme. I can go back a year where he said they were still trying to figure out how to use Adams who the broke the bank for. There is obviously a problem that goes beyond just talent, coaches and scouts share a part of the blame, they picked these players and coached them for their defense. These players are the sum of what the coaches put together.

If you're going to be so condescending, maybe try providing some actual insight of your own instead of press clippings with player and coach speak.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Is this your feeble attempt at belittling me about football, let me tell you something chump I've been watch football scent you were in diapers, so show me some frigging respect or you'll be gone from here.

I've watched great football players like Ray Nitschke, Dike Butkis and Ted Hendricks who you would have to google them just to see if I know what I know. So you and the dr. Just need to clam up about what I do know.

By the way, why do you think this hybrid defense is so great that you feel you
have to defend it so strongly ? I my be old but show some frigging respect. Maybe putting others down is the only way you can feel good abot yourself.
Alright, I’m with you all the way on this! I will be 76 years old on Thursday. I was a student at U.I. when Butkus was there. We used to root for the other team to get the ball just to see Butkus smear some running back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If you're going to be so condescending, maybe try providing some actual insight of your own instead of press clippings with player and coach speak.

What's the difference between me saying it, and the actual people playing, coaching and reporting the same things I'm saying?

You sure do have some weird circular logic to your posting, I'll give you that.

"Coach Pete, the players and experts reporting that it's a player/effort issue? NO THANK YOU I'D LIKE TO HEAR IT FROM YOU SARGE!"

cymatica

Reaction score
What's the difference between me saying it, and the actual people playing, coaching and reporting the same things I'm saying?

You sure do have some weird circular logic to your posting, I'll give you that.

"Coach Pete, the players and experts reporting that it's a player/effort issue? NO THANK YOU I'D LIKE TO HEAR IT FROM YOU SARGE!"
I just recognize the fact that players usually give generalized statements, that aren't even necessarily factual, when talking to the media. "We gotta do better" "its on us". Well duh. They rarely go into schematic details or even point that direction. Tre Flowers actually did a couple years ago, but that was the outlier.

If you want to go based off press statements, then read between the lines on what Pete said, because he actually hinted at the problems and he pretty much admitted they are trying to fit players into the scheme.

Again, I'm not blaming just the coaches or claiming the scheme sucks, but it takes players and coaches to make it happen and there's plenty of examples of teams loaded with talent who go nowhere until a new coach with a new philosophy takes over.

Should Pete go? I don't know and I'm not on the fire Pete bandwagon. I do know that these are the players that he picked and coached up, this is the scheme that he decided was the best fit for the personnel he's got, or at least he gave the green light. This is the defensive coaching staff that he selected.

So yes, a lot of blame falls on the coaches, part of it roster selection, part of it scheme. It's also a fact that the front 7 needs some serious upgrades. What I highly doubt though, is that the defense gives up historically bad rushing yards from just talent or even mostly talent, the talent drop off in the NFL is not that great to see results like this.

Spohawks

Reaction score
So Pete said have the players fit the scheme.

Greeeeaaat! How has that idea worked out so far? Hmmm. The game has passed Pete by, its time for a change!

cymatica

Reaction score
So Pete said have the players fit the scheme.

Greeeeaaat! How has that idea worked out so far? Hmmm. The game has passed Pete by, its time for a change!
It definitely did not sound good when he said that

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Agreed. This slide started when we adjusted because we were facing Tom Brady. We went small on defense and we got ran over.

I'd have to check the stats, but it seems we've played a lot of snaps lately with extra CBs. Forget it. Take the lumps through the air. It'll help us in TOP and gives us more turnover opportunities, which is the only thing this D is legit good at. This D isn't athletic or aware enough for two-gap tech, just fill the damn box.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Agreed. This slide started when we adjusted because we were facing Tom Brady. We went small on defense and we got ran over.

I'd have to check the stats, but it seems we've played a lot of snaps lately with extra CBs. Forget it. Take the lumps through the air. It'll help us in TOP and gives us more turnover opportunities, which is the only thing this D is legit good at. This D isn't athletic or aware enough for two-gap tech, just fill the damn box.

Yep. Even I'd you give up big plays over the top at least that means more possessions for Geno so he doesn't have to press and take risks because he knows he's only going to get 3-4 possessions a half.

Better than death by a 1,000 demoralizing paper cuts.

BASF

Reaction score
We have an average defense. What we do not have is players who are interested. They have been beaten like a drum the past month and several of them have checked out. I went so far as stating that we were point shaving in the gameday forum during the Rams game. The defense is not interested in playing for Carroll. The defense is not interested in playing for Hurtt. The defense is not interested in playing for Brooks as their on field leader. If you watch the scoring drive for the Rams where they took the lead, you can see that the side the ball was not going to, the defense was literally standing there watching the other guys try to make the tackle on the other side of the field. With the the leaders not leading, especially by example, the other players are simply going through the motions. It was almost like our defense have been passing around the flu for the past month and most of them have been lethargic and medicined up.