If you run the ball four straight times

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I personally felt it was a bad call. I think you could have run with Lynch and had a pretty dang high chance of getting it into the endzone from 1 yard out.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3epbgv93 said:
OP please site a link or something to he 1% you stated. Im surprised I would think it would be higher

Im waiting OP

hawknation2015

Reaction score
KatarHol":2xrha2zb said:
marko358":2xrha2zb said:
KatarHol":2xrha2zb said:
If you run the ball four straight times and get stuffed, and your QB finishes with a 140 passer rating and the loss; and you do this because you are afraid of the chance of an interception which only occurs on 1% of plays in that situation...

You are a terrible coach
I remember two situations this year where we threw a slant inside the 5 yard line. Both resulted in interceptions so stuff your 1% stat.
Um, no. You are mistaken

He's partially right.

One of the INTs was against Carolina with Marshawn, the intended receiver, running a slant:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... pts-Wilson

Whenever you're throwing the ball up into a crowded area, and especially the middle of the end zone, there is always a risk that the ball will be deflected into the air and picked off.

marko358

Reaction score
KatarHol":d2kmfqt7 said:
marko358":d2kmfqt7 said:
KatarHol":d2kmfqt7 said:
If you run the ball four straight times and get stuffed, and your QB finishes with a 140 passer rating and the loss; and you do this because you are afraid of the chance of an interception which only occurs on 1% of plays in that situation...

You are a terrible coach
I remember two situations this year where we threw a slant inside the 5 yard line. Both resulted in interceptions so stuff your 1% stat.
Um, no. You are mistaken

Slant to Lynch at Carolina and slant to Lockette this past Sunday. Both INTs. Remind of all the success we've had throwing slants into the middle of the field inside the 5 yard line.

Hawks46

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":392iukkp said:
OP please site a link or something to he 1% you stated. Im surprised I would think it would be higher

It's been stated ad nausea in the media, but here goes: that rub/slant play has been run from the 1 yard line 108 times in the NFL this year by various teams. it has NEVER resulted in an INT until we ran it. That's actually less than 1%.

The problem as I see it is this: that isn't a normal pass play we run a lot. We're typically doing something else on the goal line. So, we're not as practiced at it.

And what someone else said made sense: we were attacking a rookie 5th string CB that hadn't even played all game. Every other team finds the weak link and attacks it. See: Simon, Tharold.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":v6k39vpe said:

109 pass plays were run from the 1 yd line this year and there were 0 INTs.

hawk45

Reaction score
Not sure I like using an NFL-wide statistic of 1% here and ignoring our specific personnel as well as New England's. It's similar to pointing to Marshawn being 1 for 5 converting from the 1 while ignoring how statistically inept NE has been in short yardage and goal line defense.

We have struggled with slants. Russell has struggled with placement and potentially vision, receivers have struggled with routes and/or balls bouncing up and being intercepted on slants (just last week in fact), and those were actual starting receivers not Ricardo Lockette.

Would also be nice, if we must pass and if we must run a slant, that we not telegraph it formationally to the point that their 5th string CB, as well as many other NE defenders, remembered it from the film room.

That is the nice thing about a fake handoff and/or rollout: regardless of formation they MUST honor the run threat. Or you could, you know, hand the damned ball off actually.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
KatarHol":3euarmud said:

You are a terrible coach

Can someone please ban this troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.