I'm not entirely sure if I'll get crucified saying this...

Seafan

Reaction score
JSeahawks":g1q2pnqn said:
I'm not saying you're wrong. But Skelton, Kaepernick and Sanchez is not exactly murderers row.

Skelton? Somone from one of the networks actually called Stanton "Skelton" on Sunday. Funny how people don't know Stanton.

We need to get Lane back at least for STs where he's a monster.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Dismas":3am4t99h said:
mikeak":3am4t99h said:
Look I been on the Simin bandwagon since I saw his college tape after the draft. Loved what I saw. So with that said....

Was it just me or did he lose the WR on the int? He stopped running like oh crap I guess I am done, turns his head and oh there is the ball and goes for it.

To me it really looked like he gave up in the play. Now there might have been a handover on the receiver but that is how it looked to me

Thoughts?

Actually looked to me like Simon was responsible for the outside guy, saw the ball going to the middle guy, and left his man to go get the pick.

If you fine a replay of that, you will see a receiver going free up the sideline, after Tharold let him go.
I believe Carroll said Simon was responsible for both guys and made a great decision. At least I remember reading that somewhere

Mick063

Reaction score
I still miss Clemmons. Irvin has been good but Clemm was better. No one could sniff out screens like Clemm and the teams that have figured out the Seattle defense (San Diego, Kansas City, St Louis) killed Seattle with dump offs and screens to the backs. Seattle used to run a zone blitz scheme where Clemm would infrequently drop back into a short zone. He used to absolutely shut down those short dump offs to the backs. He was actually quite good in pass coverage in a confined space.

I see one other weakness. KJ Wright on coverage of the tight end. He can't get it done by himself.

Just nitpicking. Otherwise, I agree. I think the defense is peaking and playing as well as last year.

justafan

Reaction score
I agree with the op.Considering the rule changes they have done an excellent job.They have adapted well,with the exception of a few games they have been outstanding.
I think Maxwell is under appreciated by a lot of people on this board,Head and shoulders above Browner as a cover cornerWe are lucky to have him opposite Sherm.In fact i am worried we wont be able to afford him come contract time.
The thing about Simon I dont like is he loses his head and is a stupid penalty waiting to happen.This D always plays with an edge but rarely crosses the line and let their emotions get the best of them.Hopefully he will grow out of it

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2xtu7gea said:
I'm not saying you're wrong. But Skelton, Kaepernick and Sanchez is not exactly murderers row.

The Seahawks can only play the schedule they are given. We had the tough QBs early in the schedule and now comes the fodder to set our numbers right and put us back on top.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3n69vzbe said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":3n69vzbe said:
Honestly I felt the same way. I didn't want to say it because it's in a span of 3 games... but... in these three games, i think they played their best defense ever (besides SB). It's feels to be in the same neighborhood though. The reason is an easy one; because players get better each coming year.

Our guys are just now reaching their prime. Some of them, like Sherm and ET, could potentially keep this level of play going for 5-7 more years.
Well it is why they extended them. I suspect the same will happen with Simon when the time comes. Because I for one believe Sherman when he said Simon is better then he was at this point. It follows if that is true we won't let him go I'd assume that would be Maxwell or Lane instead if need be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post. I will disagree about Browner just a little bit.

BB was more susceptible to a double move. He's fast, but not quick. That's how WRs got behind him. He would also get beat by guys like TJ Hilton that are just straight burners. If they could get a clean release, and the QB had a really good throw, they could get him, but Browner's length made it hard to drop in.

Browner was probably the best in the league at defending screens to his side and blowing up run plays. Watch the games; teams honestly just quit throwing screens to that side as well as any sort of sweep type running play. Browner was also excellent at comeback routes because of his length. I'd disagree about his pursuit. Browner was great at running down plays, and took excellent cross field angles. Look at that play on AP; he caught up to him when Peterson was about to score.

Maxwell, conversely, is quick enough that he can recover on double moves, but he gets beat on comebacks. He also tends to play like the WR is heading to the sidelines and gets beat inside at times. He's also great at run defense, but he's not the hitter Browner was, and not as physical getting off blocks (who really is at CB ?). Maxwell is actually better at punching the ball out (which is saying something).

Under the new rules I think Maxwell is better. I honestly think Simon might be our best CB in 2 years. He's looking that promising. I'd love to keep Maxwell, but I don't think we can afford him next year.

mikeak

Reaction score
-The Glove-":31mwe62l said:
Dismas":31mwe62l said:
mikeak":31mwe62l said:
Look I been on the Simin bandwagon since I saw his college tape after the draft. Loved what I saw. So with that said....

Was it just me or did he lose the WR on the int? He stopped running like oh crap I guess I am done, turns his head and oh there is the ball and goes for it.

To me it really looked like he gave up in the play. Now there might have been a handover on the receiver but that is how it looked to me

Thoughts?

Actually looked to me like Simon was responsible for the outside guy, saw the ball going to the middle guy, and left his man to go get the pick.

If you fine a replay of that, you will see a receiver going free up the sideline, after Tharold let him go.
I believe Carroll said Simon was responsible for both guys and made a great decision. At least I remember reading that somewhere

Thanks makes a lot of sense and I was wondering if that was the case. He laid off the one guy because he had the outside guy that I wasn't looking at and the inside guy must have been moving out of his zone. He sees the ball and goes for it

Appreciate the added information

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawks46":3flnia6r said:
Good post. I will disagree about Browner just a little bit.

BB was more susceptible to a double move. He's fast, but not quick. That's how WRs got behind him. He would also get beat by guys like TJ Hilton that are just straight burners. If they could get a clean release, and the QB had a really good throw, they could get him, but Browner's length made it hard to drop in.

Browner was probably the best in the league at defending screens to his side and blowing up run plays. Watch the games; teams honestly just quit throwing screens to that side as well as any sort of sweep type running play. Browner was also excellent at comeback routes because of his length. I'd disagree about his pursuit. Browner was great at running down plays, and took excellent cross field angles. Look at that play on AP; he caught up to him when Peterson was about to score.

Maxwell, conversely, is quick enough that he can recover on double moves, but he gets beat on comebacks. He also tends to play like the WR is heading to the sidelines and gets beat inside at times. He's also great at run defense, but he's not the hitter Browner was, and not as physical getting off blocks (who really is at CB ?). Maxwell is actually better at punching the ball out (which is saying something).

Under the new rules I think Maxwell is better. I honestly think Simon might be our best CB in 2 years. He's looking that promising. I'd love to keep Maxwell, but I don't think we can afford him next year.
Very cool stuff. I do miss those choke slams and scrimmage jams from BB – no one will ever do it quite like him – but I love the idea of securing Simon as the right-side Sherman and reveling in years of outstanding, and consistent, DB play from our Hawks. Damn, we're lucky.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Last year's secondary was better. It was all-time! 28 INTs, 63.4 passer rating allowed, 5.8 YPA allowed, 16 TDs allowed. The dudes we dumped in training camp became starters on other teams. That's how ridiculous the talent was last year.

This year's group has had a fantastic 3-game stretch against three QBs who are all arguably at the bottom of the league right now. I still love this current group, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1sb6rz0t said:
Last year's secondary was better. It was all-time! 28 INTs, 63.4 passer rating allowed, 5.8 YPA allowed, 16 TDs allowed. The dudes we dumped in training camp became starters on other teams. That's how ridiculous the talent was last year.

This year's group has had a fantastic 3-game stretch against three QBs who are all arguably at the bottom of the league right now. I still love this current group, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that also has to do with the pass rush we completely took advantage of last year as well. Bane is out this year. Marsh is on IR. Clemons is gone. Bryant is gone. McDonald is gone.

Granted, we brought in Kevin Williams, but he excels at holding the LOS, not penetrating it. Kind of like a great plutonic friend with a gorgeous girl.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1c769zj2 said:
No, but oregons ifo ekpre-olomu would fit in perfectly!
But does he have the passion to try strangling one of the assistant coaches twice? You can't teach that sort of inner drive.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't know if this year's secondary is better than last year's, but with a full season under Simon's belt, I bet next year's will be better than both. That kid has ALL the tools. Just needs to settle down a bit between the whistles.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sorta' sad (and telling) when a Hawk fan feels it necessary to start a thread of this title. Respect for one another shouldn't be dosed according to post count.

I liked Browner a ton, but he couldn't be depended on. How many games did Browner miss while with us? I do miss his intimidation though, and I think he would have bitch-slapped Harvin, too.
I'm not 100% behind Simon yet, but he's still raw and playing well. Not as intimidating as Browner just yet, but I think he will prove to be better as a pure CB. Browner was a big play guy but also capable of getting torched.

Thurmond? See Browner. How many games did Thurmond miss while with us? Plus, the guy was an all out asshat. Maxwell is really starting to be as advertised so I am happy there, but will his asking price keep him with us? I hope so.
I felt Earl started the year a bit un-Earl-like. But he's been balls to the walls for several games now.

Sherm? The high water mark. He's better this year than last and his run support is epic.

I'd say we are just as good this year as last and going to get better. Browner has hit his ceiling and Thurmond is again...hurt.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
HawkWow":2vxyr0mr said:
Sorta' sad (and telling) when a Hawk fan feels it necessary to start a thread of this title. Respect for one another shouldn't be dosed according to post count.

Post count means absolutely nothing, I'm not sure where that was implied that that was my motive behind saying this.

But thank you for letting me know what yanks your emotions and where your standards are for forum etiquette. It seems to be a pretty productive thread as far as discussion goes.

My point was that our defense last year was flat out dominant. Consistently shutting people down in their own houses and still having the talent and football savvy to create big plays for turnovers. I'm of the opinion, which I stated, that this secondary is even better at this point in the season than last year. Even without the much deeper pass rush we afforded ourselves all the way to a Superbowl victory.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sadly, post count does seem to matter when it comes to the reception of threads. I was only suggesting (to some), that maybe that should change. The way you backed into this one with "I'm not entirely sure if I'll get crucified saying this" didn't exactly reek of confidence. Of course it's possible you just always talk that way.

Anyway...all good and a good topic as well.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ha994m2 said:
Sadly, post count does seem to matter when it comes to the reception of threads. I was only suggesting (to some), that maybe that should change. The way you backed into this one with "I'm not entirely sure if I'll get crucified saying this" didn't exactly reek of confidence. Of course it's possible you just always talk that way.

Anyway...all good and a good topic as well.
Not true. YOU'VE got tons of posts and I think you're a total putz! :p