I'm sorry....10-6, 9-7

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hfrfkjq said:
Much improved play of the defense is what's turned the corner for me.

First 5-6 games I thought we were stuck in the same 10-6 type season and losing on the road as a WC again. What I've seen the past two games with Diggs at FS is we're back to playing cover 3 with McDougald down in the box and Pete having faith in our corners to press cover with Diggs back deep like Earl.

It's made all the difference, and made all the difference in me thinking we're on track for a WC loss on the road, to now a serious SB contender.

Exactly, The defense is starting to gel now and its making all the difference. I hope it continues.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1i7og985 said:
Elemas":1i7og985 said:
bmorepunk":1i7og985 said:
Elemas":1i7og985 said:
Putting this out here first...I'm a naysayer. Additionally, I'm a data scientist. Numbers are important to me and usually form the basis of any/all analysis from my perspective.

What "numbers" are you talking about in this context?

What is your academic background? Math and stats degrees?

PHD, Computational Statistics. My BS is in Comp Sci but I pursued an MS in Data Analytics. My MS was the pilot program at my university and didn't peak my interest as much as the "core" principles did. Stats have always made more sense to me than the math that comprised most of my CS degree. In my line of work now, Data Scientist for the Air Force Research Laboratory, I still use quite a bit of linear algebra but it's always coupled with statistics.

Numbers I'm referring to are primarily referring to are those that are most common...margin of victory, pass rush/pressure, yards allowed vs. X....etc...nothing intricate.

Someone mentioned the number of games in a regular season. 16 isn't nearly enough. Even if you approached a problem set using historical data (ok, give me 3 seasons...48 games...), any prediction, comparison, etc is based on way too many dynamics to form a basis without the caveat that the results are only approximations.

With something as high profile as the NFL, if there were "good" answers, they would've certainly been ID'd at this point. Think Vegas and when spreads are determined.

Anyways, to sum it up....I'm enjoying the ride and wins a lot more by saying "we're 9-2" rather than saying "we only beat the Niners because Kittle and Zuerlien were out". Just a different mental approach that many people have displayed in their comments on this board. The why's don't matter...just the result.

Thanks for the background; have you been tracking FiveThirtyEight's ELO? It's fun to run through their methodology section.

I think if you look at Sgt's big change the last couple of games (and I'm fully on board) is that the defense has played much better. If they can keep this up, it will have a marked improvement on the Seahawks' numbers (particularly points allowed) by the end of the season. That would make them look at lot better to any kind of traditional calculation/model on that front.

Hopefully that helps the point differential improves by the end of the season; in the Super Bowl year they were pushing +11.5/game. This season it has been +2.6/game so far. But when the defense is giving up nearly 24 PPG to this point it's hard to have a really good differential.

I'm vaguely familiar with the site. I'll check it out! Thanks for the tip :eek:

xray

Reaction score
Fade":3a0y0igd said:
In the regular season the team with the better QB usually wins.

Playoffs it's about defense and running game. Because all the teams usually have a good QB.
This ^...there are many good offenses around the league right now ; but into the playoffs and beyond ; championships are won by defense .

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
LastRideOut":dw62uaar said:
You had me until you said the Seahawks are taking the division and conference. I do like your optimism, I do, but I'm also a realist.

I think division is likely if we beat SF but drop one between now and before the SF game. We lose one between now and the SNF SF game, we are not winning the conference. I think SF wins out too. I think the #1 seed will come down to SNF game IF we win out.

If both SF and Seattle win out until week 17, wow, what a game that SNF SF game is going to be.

I'm a realist too. I think we win the division. Wait, is that just my opinion?

If we win the rest of our games in the season and the playoffs do we win the Super Bowl?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Elemas":2nnyihep said:
Putting this out here first...I'm a naysayer. Additionally, I'm a data scientist. Numbers are important to me and usually form the basis of any/all analysis from my perspective.

Reading comments like "We'll be ok" after squeaking by the Bengals...statements like "a win is a win" after games like the Rams and Niners have been mind-boggling to me.

Yet, the Hawks are 9-2 while still being competitive in those two losses.

I've never been the fair weather Hawks fan. Pessimistic? Yes...and in high doses.

But, it's not the way to look at it. You can't enjoy the ride with the glass is half empty mentality. Especially in the NFL.

To all of you it'll be ok'ers, calm downers, a win is a win type folks, I salute you. You're right and have been all along.

This team is taking the division and conference. Then they're going to get sweet revenge on the Ravens in the SB.

Go Hawks!

That's not going to happen.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's right, because it will be the Texans or the Chiefs that are on the other side in the SB.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":37pgnuq2 said:
Elemas":37pgnuq2 said:

Reading comments like "We'll be ok" after squeaking by the Bengals...statements like "a win is a win" after games like the Rams and Niners have been mind-boggling to me.

I've never been the fair weather Hawks fan. Pessimistic? Yes...and in high doses.

But, it's not the way to look at it. You can't enjoy the ride with the glass is half empty mentality. Especially in the NFL.

To all of you it'll be ok'ers, calm downers, a win is a win type folks, I salute you. You're right and have been all along.

This team is taking the division and conference. Then they're going to get sweet revenge on the Ravens in the SB.

Go Hawks!
So they get credit for when that mentality turns out to be accurate; does that mean they get blame when they do it (which they do) in the years that it doesn't? :)

Personally, I don't care for the glass being half full OR half empty. Rather, I look at the glass as being at 50% capacity...a cold, hard, fact devoid of emotion as much as possible. ;)

What are you drinking a Mike’s Harder Lemonade?

Roland get rolled.

I agree with you though. :)

LTH

Reaction score
Elemas":38aoxoq9 said:

Go Hawks!

Is the glass half empty or half full? It's a matter of perspective. I think Carroll has this down to an exact science... Its not about stats its about philosophy that Carroll has proven works, I just think people dont understand the progression of things and that's frustrating for some...

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
xray":16prjti4 said:
Fade":16prjti4 said:
In the regular season the team with the better QB usually wins.

Playoffs it's about defense and running game. Because all the teams usually have a good QB.
This ^...there are many good offenses around the league right now ; but into the playoffs and beyond ; championships are won by defense .

That's true.... but Fade is right in the since that game management and execution with the fewest amount of mistakes is just as important... to be successful in the playoffs you have to win the turnover battle a perfect example of that was Trent Dilfer in 2000 when the Ravens won the SB..

LTH

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2sv1oo5c said:
RolandDeschain":2sv1oo5c said:
Elemas":2sv1oo5c said:

Go Hawks!
So they get credit for when that mentality turns out to be accurate; does that mean they get blame when they do it (which they do) in the years that it doesn't? :)

Personally, I don't care for the glass being half full OR half empty. Rather, I look at the glass as being at 50% capacity...a cold, hard, fact devoid of emotion as much as possible. ;)

What are you drinking a Mike’s Harder Lemonade?

Roland get rolled.

I agree with you though. :)

Apple Crown for me. I suppose it's still foo-fooish with the flavor. Just came to the realization that I can't enjoy the game with the level of thinking I was applying. I was preparing for a long, long season after the Bengals win...that grand score of 21-20 with Dalton throwing for 400+

Yet, 10-2 and more confident than ever.

Feels better. Feels good!

LTH

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":pveh7rb5 said:
Elemas":pveh7rb5 said:

Go Hawks!

Its foolish to EVER count out a Pete Carroll team... a perfect example of this was Pete's first year. They made the playoffs at 7-9 Playing New Orleans Saints. There was not a person on the planet with the exception of the Seahawks, that thought the Seahawks was going to win that game... It was so biased that a reasonable person would have said the Seahawks should just not show up for the game. well they won that game!

Carroll has been in the playoffs 7 out of 9 years soon to be 8 out of 10 years... I mean what do you want? with that kind of a record why would anybody doubt this team...Carroll has made a career out of making doubters wrong both in the college ranks as well in the pro's...

I dont believe Carroll teams are perfect but I seen enough to know there is a clear philosophy and progression with Carroll coached teams that is proven.. I have learned to just trust the process and I never ever put ANYTHING past Pete Carroll because as soon as you do he will prove you wrong... You hear carroll like players with chips on there shoulders... Carroll has the biggest chip of all...

naysayers will be naysayers and that's ok...

LTH

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
LTH":34gd1hil said:
RolandDeschain":34gd1hil said:
Elemas":34gd1hil said:

Go Hawks!

Its foolish to EVER count out a Pete Carroll team... a perfect example of this was Pete's first year. They made the playoffs at 7-9 Playing New Orleans Saints. There was not a person on the planet with the exception of the Seahawks, that thought the Seahawks was going to win that game... It was so biased that a reasonable person would have said the Seahawks should just not show up for the game. well they won that game!

Carroll has been in the playoffs 7 out of 9 years soon to be 8 out of 10 years... I mean what do you want? with that kind of a record why would anybody doubt this team...Carroll has made a career out of making doubters wrong both in the college ranks as well in the pro's...

I dont believe Carroll teams are perfect but I seen enough to know there is a clear philosophy and progression with Carroll coached teams that is proven.. I have learned to just trust the process and I never ever put ANYTHING past Pete Carroll because as soon as you do he will prove you wrong... You hear carroll like players with chips on there shoulders... Carroll has the biggest chip of all...

naysayers will be naysayers and that's ok...

LTH

Well said. Pete and JS are a winning combination. Hard to argue against that.

Hope Pete's coaching for 10 more.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
10-2. Dayum, a surprisingly solid team that is getting better. I doubt many of us saw this coming. Shoot, I figured 10 or 11 wins for the season. There clearly is something special going on with that team. Now adding that one two punch of Carson/Penny, along with the D creating so many turnovers etc. It's just one of those years where the expectations shift as it goes on, in a good way.

Latest posts