I'm With Huard.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with my boy Brock. I think all this chatter is smoke screen. I still see the Seahawks staying at 5 taking Carter. They want DEFENSE. They feel very very good about Smith as their franchise QB for at least the next couple years. They feel they have a buffer to grab a very, very good defensive player at 5. I'm sticking with my prediction. Carter is ours at 5.

The Athletic’s Vic Tafur reported recently that there’s buzz the Seahawks will try and trade up from No. 5 overall to No. 3 to get either Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson or Kentucky QB Will Levis.

The Draft Network’s Tony Pauline reported something similar, saying that “speculation from league insiders” is Seattle wants to jump up to No. 3 overall to get Richardson.

Former NFL QB and current FOX college football analyst Brock Huard isn’t really buying those reports as something general manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll would do, though.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's not clear to me where you got the idea that Huard was advocating that we take Carter at #5. The only reference in the article about a defensive player was about Will Anderson.

I also heard Huard say that he thought that the Hawks might have been turned off by Richardson's rather casual, lackadaisical effort during his Pro Day, too much joking around, doing things at 2/3 speed. Richardson might not be their man anyway.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Enticing QBs in next year's draft, as well. Maybe smokescreen to trade down a couple of slots for an additional 1st next year...could still possibly snag Carter, or pivot to another DL in the top 10.

seabowl

Reaction score
It's not clear to me where you got the idea that Huard was advocating that we take Carter at #5. The only reference in the article about a defensive player was about Will Anderson.

I also heard Huard say that he thought that the Hawks might have been turned off by Richardson's rather casual, lackadaisical effort during his Pro Day, too much joking around, doing things at 2/3 speed. Richardson might not be their man anyway.
Funny, you say this, because when watching Richardson’s pro day I had the same take. Very nonchalant, lackadaisical, half speed. I stopped to question myself and thought maybe all of the pro days go like this, but then thought back to the other ones I watched, and this one was different and not in a good way.

Own The West

Reaction score
I feel pretty certain all the QB love from the Seahawks is to pressure some QB hungry team to trade up with AZ. That’s the only way Anderson (safest pick at a need) falls to them.

Carter may well be the plan B pick at 5. PCJS have a habit of intentionally ignoring their top pick leading up to the draft, so that practice would suggest Anderson/Carter over any QBs.

The idea that they need a franchise QB this year while they have Geno is almost as silly as the idea franchise QBs are only available in the first round.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
There is going to be a lot of disappointed people here when the Seahawks draft a QB.

I could very easily see the Seahawks pulling the trigger on one of these guys.

Lock was signed for Pennies and Geno has zero guaranteed money after this year. They left themselves some easy opt outs for both Geno and Lock.

It doesn’t have to be some 5D chess move, especially at number 5. I really do think that Carroll has more than just a passing interest in QBs.

Carroll knows what paying a second tier QB does to your roster. He’s witnessed it first hand. He also knows that young QBs offer a lot of flexibility in salary.

rjdriver

Reaction score
There is going to be a lot of surprised (not disappointed) people here when the Seahawks draft a QB.

Fixed it for you brother!!!!

Most of us here will pivot pretty quickly once the pick is actually made and start focusing on the positives instead of the negatives.

I think many of us want D because it is a safer pick, not necessarily a better pick.

If it's true JS actually had interest in Allen and Mahomes, then I think he has a pretty good track record with scouting QB's, particularly considering that he sniffed out Wilson as well.

There are a lot of opinions out there, but for me the biggest indicator of taking a QB is (as @nanomoz and others have pointed out several times) how Geno's contract is structured. It's tailor built to keep the boat sailing while we groom a new skipper for one or two years.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not clear to me where you got the idea that Huard was advocating that we take Carter at #5.

I wasn't saying Huard said that...I was only referencing that I agree with Huard on the smoke screen angle. I had a premonition dream a month or so back that had us taking Carter at #5. It may mean squat but my premonitions tend to come true.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't buy the smokescreen angle. I believe that P&J are genuinely looking at all four QBs if not to draft them this year, then to thoroughly scout them for potentially adding to the Hawks roster way down the road. They done that before and they're doing that now.

If Richardson or Levis are there at #5 and Anderson is gone, I'd say that the odds are better than 50/50 that they go with a QB at #5.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Funny, you say this, because when watching Richardson’s pro day I had the same take. Very nonchalant, lackadaisical, half speed. I stopped to question myself and thought maybe all of the pro days go like this, but then thought back to the other ones I watched, and this one was different and not in a good way.
If I were the Hawks, I wouldn't be too pleased. One of the main reasons they go to a player's Pro Day is to see what they're capable of, that sometimes the combine doesn't frame the player in a good light, doesn't play to the specific skills some teams are looking for. A Pro Day gives the player an opportunity to perform on their home field, throw to receivers and patterns that they're familiar with instead of the canned, generic exercises held at the combine.

It might end up being nothing, but I don't think it helped Richardson's cause to treat it so casually.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't buy the smokescreen angle. I believe that P&J are genuinely looking at all four QBs if not to draft them this year, then to thoroughly scout them for potentially adding to the Hawks roster way down the road. They done that before and they're doing that now.

If Pete and John were 100% earnest and truthful, then how can they create a sense of urgency and uncertainty in other organizations war rooms who might want to trade up to get one of the four top QB's?

Of course they're creating a smokescreen, whether their seriously thinking about drafting a QB or not.

They want the most options possible at 5. Keep it, trade up, trade back.........they want ALL their options available. To not appear seriously interested in the QB's even if they're really not would be bad GM'ing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lock was beat by Smith when he got hurt last pre season and Smith ran away with the competition, they like Lock, he is getting work on what he needed to improve on. If they didn't think he was a value they could have signed any back up Vet. Lock and Smith were very close in the competition, Smith game performance separated them as it should. Lock is young and being seasoned. It's trade back or Anderson, Herndon or Stroud actually fit the mold better then Young, or Richardson I think also. Also high pick Defenders are usually easier on the Cap unless it's a DE or CB for second contracts. Now watch them go RB.................

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think there's zero chance they take Carter.

Go watch the pre-draft press conference from a couple of years ago when they talk (without naming names) about the Malik McDowell pick. They said very clearly that they have a standard for football character, and they "moved off their spot" to take McDowell. And they shouldn't have, because they knew better.

Carter has been out of shape for two years. Through two college football playoffs and his own pro-day.

This guy exudes the exact oposite of football character.

They haven't used a draft pick--any draft pick that I'm aware of--on a player that doesn't have high football character in five years.

I honestly don't think they'd take him at #20.

GemCity

Reaction score
One thing is clear, nobody really knows what they are thinking and/or will do. And that's fine, speculation makes for good conversation.
I agree with Fish….surprise. I normally agree with Fish…

If I had to add an opinion, I’d say that the visits were not smokescreens. That’s A LOT of effort to get teams off track. It’s certainly a possibility but, Seattle holds the cards here. If other teams want to trade up with AZ to snatch their QB of choice (sans the possibility of Stroud or Young), they’ll be doing so without Seattles involvement.

I’m not saying we’re taking a QB. I’m just saying there is a general interest in this year’s crop.

Mick063

Reaction score
No first day quarterbacks please. Stop the run game. Or better yet, find the next Marshawn Lynch. Is there another Chubb out there?