I'm With Huard.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Carter's play is elite for a Defensive Tackle. In College, you're not gonna find many better. Now, the character & off-field stuff is certainly a red flag and alarming. But on the field? The guy was the most dominate IDL in college Football last season. One or two games (CFP), shouldn't change people's opinion. Six weeks ago, we all would have killed to have the opportunity to take him. This draft is short on blue chip talent. But Jalen Carter is absolutely one.

There are maybe 3-5 guys who are worth a top 5 pick this year imo: 1. Will Anderson, 2. Jalen Carter, 3. Bijan Robinson. You can also make a case for Young & Stroud. But that's about it.

I like Anthony Richardson. But right now, all anyone remembers is his Combine & Pro Day performances & is completely disregarding his actual play (film) last season. Which wasn't great.

I would agree to some extent with AR's unknown's, except for the flashes of outstanding capabilities that he's displayed, has to at the very least taken into consideration, I mean, what IF he get's in tune with some QB Guru like Greg Olsen and he turns all that talent into stardom?

Fade

Reaction score
How many starts did Brady have?
Brady started nearly double the amount of games as Anthony Richardson, displaying much better footwork, proccessing, and throwing mechanics. Richardson is a heavy duty project in all of these areas and needed to go back to school.

Trying to cite Brady as some inexperienced QB just like Richardson is head scratching.

What hurt Brady's draft stock was the Drew Henson situation more than anything, where they would both both play, but Drew Henson would start some of those games. What could hurt Richardson is how much work mechanically he actually needs as a QB. Not even remotely comparable.

Whoever drafts Richardson, he must be put into an 11-on-11 offense, and run him like a young Lamar or RG III. Wasting 3 years trying to turn him into a pocket guy would be a huge mistake and disservice to his skill set.

Fade

Reaction score
I don't get why people keep calling Carter a "generational talent". He is not a generational talent. His collegiate stats aren't impressive compared to some of the other top defensive lineman. He doesn't look in particular like he's an athletic specimen. Against Ohio State he was getting pushed around.

Is he talented? Sure, generational talent? Absolutely not. Carter is not some "can't miss prospect" that only comes along once in a blue moon. Therein lies the problem with Carter when compounded with his other issues.
First off, I am in the camp that thinks Carter will be a bust at the next level, and the Seahawks should not draft him. But not because I don't think he is not generation-ally talented, it's the "other stuff" that is scaring me off of him.

But what makes him generational, is men of his size aren't supposed to have light quick feet, and such explosive, violent power to the level he has. It is very rare. A young Ndamukong Suh out of Nebraska was the last time I saw a prospect with this physical skill set.

But he is lazy and immature, and I don't think giving him $30M fully guaranteed rookie contract will cure these ills.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Somebody call Fade, his .net account has been hacked. Only explanation for not one, but consecutive, factual and rational posts.
Meh we need to get away from this stuff. Just because Fade disagreed with the Pete can do no wrong crowd doesn't mean he's always wrong. People in here make everything binary or a us vs them stuff and its distracting. I've disagreed with Fade at times and agreed more often then not and that's ok.

Anyway it was a good post. Carter could turn out to be all pro or a complete bust but he scares me too. His lack of production, work ethic issues etc worry me. I don't care about the speeding stuff its all the other stuff that worries me.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There's a Pete can do no wrong crowd? He makes plenty of mistakes, and has for years. Doesn't mean it's time to move on from him. I wanted them to, but glad they stuck with him. He is turning this thing around, and quickly.

morgulon1

Reaction score
First off, I am in the camp that thinks Carter will be a bust at the next level, and the Seahawks should not draft him. But not because I don't think he is not generation-ally talented, it's the "other stuff" that is scaring me off of him.

But what makes him generational, is men of his size aren't supposed to have light quick feet, and such explosive, violent power to the level he has. It is very rare. A young Ndamukong Suh out of Nebraska was the last time I saw a prospect with this physical skill set.

But he is lazy and immature, and I don't think giving him $30M fully guaranteed rookie contract will cure these ills.
This was my thinking about Carter.

I believe there's a small chance they take him because Seattle NEVER does what I expect from them. That's probably a good thing.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Emory Hunt who is a very well respected scout and someone who has hit a ton over the years at the QB position has had Richardson as his #1 QB most of the year. He's a film guy and sees a ton of stuff to like and says Florida held AR back more than many people realize. He has talked about him long before this draft process as well. Is he right? I have no clue but I do know he's incredible at this stuff and hits more often then not.

I would argue its very unlikely they hit with even half their picks in this draft. Last year was an outlier, especially for them. They've had many more drafts with 1 at the most hitting. I'm usually very critical of them with their previous drafts but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they fixed some of their process last year and that moving forward they will be better. It's still unlikely more than a couple of defensive players truly are great picks when we look back. I guess I say that to say its not enough to warrant passing on a Mahomes(if you grade someone in that class) because you need more defensive players.

Sarg isn't wrong its just one way of looking at it. I also don't think its wrong to be in the Richardson camp either. I wish we could know how John grades all 4 of the quarterbacks.
Emory is fantastic. That’s my son’s name, spelled the same way, so that made me pay closer attention to him when I first discovered him a few months ago.

Because the D-line was such a glaring weakness last year (or longer), that’s where my focus has been with the 5 pick, but if AR is PCJS’s dream player then I’ll trust that they made the right call to address the D (presumably) with our next 3 picks in rounds 1 & 2 — barring any trades, of course.

You’d normally expect a 5 overall to provide instant impact, and the fact that AR wouldn’t makes it a fairly unique circumstance for a team that is very close to having a Super Bowl window opening. BUT…with his insane athleticism, I don’t think he would need to ride the pine for a year or (gasp) two. While the Taysom Hill role is foreign to anything Pete has ever done as far as I know, can you imagine having AR in the backfield with K9? That’s a LOT for a defense to worry about. IDK, getting way ahead of myself…just saying that he wouldn’t necessarily have to be “Clipboard Anthony” while he learns how to be an NFL QB.

I still hope we go DL/Edge, but if AR falls to 5 and we take him, there won’t be any remote controls flying across my living room on Thursday night.

EDIT: I’m not positive if this Amazon Music link works for all, but Emory Hunt was the guest on a very recent episode of the Seahawks Forever podcast - “Identifying Future Seahawks

Last edited:

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
…I should add that it’s also a unique circumstance for a team at or near a Super Bowl window to even have a 1.5 pick. Thanks, Broncos!

Sonichound16

Reaction score
I actually like Fade's take on things even if I don't always agree with him. They are typically well thought out and many times give me a different take on things. That is one of the great things about sites like this....multiple viewpoints and takes in a way that I may not have thought about.