In Need of Optimism

Seahawlnut89

Reaction score
The moves this offseason have been strange. I find it hard to believe that the front office thinks Mayowa and Irvin are adequate solutions to a pass rush that has been an issue since before last season. As of today, it's looking like neither Clowney nor Ngakoue are coming to Seattle. Griffen doesn't excite because he's an older player, and the same can be said for Michael Bennett.

I just don't see a lot of great options out there. It's also difficult to imagine a rookie making a huge impact given the strange offseason. The quarterbacks in this division are all competent, and with no rush, I sadly see the team still losing quite a few games even if Wilson leads the offense to 30 pts/game.

I know the offseason is far from over, but guys, help me be more positive! Haha.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Seahawlnut89":24flgfpi said:
The moves this offseason have been strange. I find it hard to believe that the front office thinks Mayowa and Irvin are adequate solutions to a pass rush that has been an issue since before last season. As of today, it's looking like neither Clowney nor Ngakoue are coming to Seattle. Griffen doesn't excite because he's an older player, and the same can be said for Michael Bennett.

I just don't see a lot of great options out there. It's also difficult to imagine a rookie making a huge impact given the strange offseason. The quarterbacks in this division are all competent, and with no rush, I sadly see the team still losing quite a few games even if Wilson leads the offense to 30 pts/game.

I know the offseason is far from over, but guys, help me be more positive! Haha.

Sure, I'll try. While the run d certainly takes a hit should Clowney depart, the pure edge rush has improved significantly with Irvin and Mayowa compared to anything they had last year. After they traded Martin they didn't really have anyone who could bend the edge until Shaquem got more action late. Now, at least on passing downs, they have two guys with some twitch and juice.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Another nugget of optimism here too. I seem to recall a draft where we grabbed a guy in the third round. Cant recall who it was...but we had purchased a quarterback from Green Bay that was our next best option for that position and we were all in on him until that third round pick.

Remember there is always smoke and mirrors where the PC crowd runs. JuSt watch and see what they do.

xray

Reaction score
Irvin and Mayowa are good signings .

chris98251

Reaction score
Both signings do two things. keep a threat on the field every down and give us a rotation to give guys a breather, more people get hurt when tired then going full tilt.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't think Irvin or Mayowa are the solutions though. Irvin isn't the type of player you want to rely on to be your number one guy. He's a player that does a little of everything but is one dimensional as a pass rusher. He's best when paired with another threat. I think he'd do well with a Clowney or Griffin, but I sure hope he isn't our end all answer for this season.

xray

Reaction score
It's a big step up from last year ; considering the Hawks made a run with only 28 sacks . If they get 36 sacks this season , they're in the playoffs for sure . IMO

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I don’t think that Irvin and Mayowa signings alone make the defensive line better. I do think they are pieces of an improved line that the team is trying to build. The team needs to find the center piece, that these two along with Reed, will rotate around to improve this defensive line. If there is anything that this front office has shown in their tenure with the Hawks is they are always striving and working to improve this team. Hang in there, plenty of move to be made until the season begins.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I want to throw something in there with the other comments.

I think the answer is in the middle of the defensive line. In the mode of a John Randle or dare I say a Arron Donald
or a prime Suh. Get a couple of guys that plug the middle and stop the run game , our defense gets decidedly better.

Sacks are cool but what I would like to see is qb hurries. Altered throws and interceptions. Those are just as good.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Our selection of Brooks rated higher than the Packers selection.. if that helps.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Maybe the Brooks pick is an indication that Clowney is coming back.

morgulon1

Reaction score
NJlargent":h4jwxrfa said:
Maybe the Brooks pick is an indication that Clowney is coming back.

It definitely says something . Maybe they feel better about where the team is at than all us experts . haha

bmorepunk

Reaction score
How about this:

There won't be a season, therefore it doesn't matter who they sign this year, except for the big contracts on the multi-year deals.

I just saved you from the misery!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":tuwt01c8 said:
How about this:

There won't be a season, therefore it doesn't matter who they sign this year, except for the big contracts on the multi-year deals.

So you're thinking that the next selection will be Souffa Ryder? :lol:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
If you had any remaining shred of optimism our first round choice should kick that in the balls.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1xtwf3vm said:
bmorepunk":1xtwf3vm said:
How about this:

So you're thinking that the next selection will be Souffa Ryder? :lol:

Mebby Couche Tatahr.

chet380

Reaction score
In a series of meh drafts, this is the MOST MEH ... I believe that Green Bay reneging on the trade-down agreement at the last minute discombobulated the Hawks draft plans and the ensuing seemingly-strange picks ensued.

In my most pessimistic view, the Hawks could be 1-5 in the NFC and as low as 7-9 overall ... of course,there is the Russell factor that might snatch a couple of unexpected wins.

Seahawker

Reaction score
The last few years have been frustrating in that they haven't hit on much draft talent to translate on the field.
Pre draft my biggest concerns were OT/LT/swingT, DE & DT. After some digestion & a closer look at our picks it's hard to not have a positive outlook for this class, for now let's forget what we didn't get, OT/DT.
Brooks/Taylor both look like they could contribute right away, both fill a need. All the clamoring for Clowney But suddenly we've got a stable of DE's Irvin/Mayowa/Jackson/Collier/Green/Robinson/Taylor & still time to add later.
Lewis joins the other 18 O-Line hopefuls which is overly heavy with interior guys set for a huge competition which may open up some cap room. Even if you don't count the 3 or 4 G/C FA's brought in this offseason we are bulging with youth, Lewis/Haynes/Mckenzie/Roos/Simmons & a couple more. Hopefully this bodes well for the run game and Wilson's protection. Lastly they added what strongly seems like some dynamic depth in terms of offensive weapons.
RB Dallas
WR Swain
TE Parkinson
Watch a little tape on these guys when you're disappointed about who we didn't get.
Seems I am more often than not left underwhelmed by our FO's draft methods and their results. I am now trying to be more positive and less of a cantankerous old man, I guess you could say a King beer half full kinda guy.
If JS can add a couple more and they go into the season healthy, we just might be improved over last years squad.

jeremiah

Reaction score
f JS can add a couple more and they go into the season healthy, we just might be improved over last years squad.

THAT is not what you come to expect out of the top front office in pro football.