Inside comments from both benches during Hawk Rams game

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Contrarian

I can relate to the comments about the size of these guys- especially the linemen. I was at the Oakdale (CA) Rodeo in April of 1985. I saw this guy standing with some locals who was absolutely huge. At least 6-5 and massive- but not an ounce of fat. He was standing there in shorts and work boots without his t-shirt on but rather tucked into the back of his shorts. Muscle everywhere. Remember "the Swede" from Heartbreak Ridge? Like that guy but 6 inches taller with the same proportions!!

At that time, I was 23, running almost every day, still lifting, and at 6-3.5 and 235, I was usually the biggest guy in any group setting. Next to this guy, I felt like a DB! Then the announcer came on the PA system to "welcome Los Angeles Ram offensive lineman Tom Newberry".

Having a beer with him later, I really enjoyed his discussing his mentorship by Dennis Harrah, and friendship with other linemen from both sides of the ball, especially Jack Youngblood. Very down-to-Earth guy.

During the last few years my daughter has been playing volleyball (now playing in college) around NorCal. I've met Ronnie Lott, Duane Board, Steve Mariucci, Trent Dilfer, Steve Bono and another former 49er lineman I can't remember his name. And Mike Rose- a former Stanford grad who played OT for the Colts. All nice guys. But no one compared in size and mass to Newberry- not even close.

What a doofus. I looked up Newberry, he was 6-2 and 281-285.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bestfightstory":dpc8gx56 said:
Fascinating. So many leaders on our defense. The C on Thomas chest is there for a damn good reason.

Except Red Bryant is the only guy on D with a C. Thomas should have one too, but they only elected one captain for some reason.

Latest posts