Interesting words in Pete's presser

Seafan

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2lh31c8q said:
Our team has always played the clock. Get a lead, play good defense, and shorten the game by getting first downs. It's a tried and true method for winning.

We just can't convert anymore for some reason. I think it's play calling myself.

Could be play calling but when there is an option it's on RW. He needed to get the first downs and he didn't.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":9kx096io said:
Our team has always played the clock. Get a lead, play good defense, and shorten the game by getting first downs. It's a tried and true method for winning.

We just can't convert anymore for some reason. I think it's play calling myself.

Agreed; I think the general perception of how this team has gotten to two Super Bowls in the past is completely out of whack with reality.

The game plan is grind away, look like crap, then get a little bit of a lead late in the game. Then get a six minute drive to keep the ball out of the other team's hands until the end of the game. Sometimes they blow other teams out and sometimes they need a crazy late drive to win it. Sometimes they get lucky in the end. But the basic way of Carroll is to play really boring football.

But the "they can't win like this" just isn't true. They can. They might not, but it's pretty clear that they've done it plenty of times in the past and it worked out well in the long run.

Rawls was great yesterday, but when this team has ground out those long drives at the end Lynch was the catalyst. If dude was healthy and in yesterday in the 4th quarter, they probably just run it out.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lockett needs to watch tape of Steve Largent. He routinely caught balls on the he sideline with both feet together and dragging his toes. That completion would more than likely win the game.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Largent80":3j42pz8n said:
Lockett needs to watch tape of Steve Largent. He routinely caught balls on the he sideline with both feet together and dragging his toes. That completion would more than likely win the game.

He'll definitely learn that. I agree it would have likely been the play we needed, if for no other effect than to switch the field.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2akqrwu8 said:
2Cool4School":2akqrwu8 said:
LoneHawkFan":2akqrwu8 said:
2Cool4School":2akqrwu8 said:
they let their foot off the gas. its not bad to try and let the clock run out when you are leading by 17. But when the other team starts scoring, its time to take some chances and put the game out of reach. they didnt take any chances in the 4th quarter

And it's the attitude that hurts, not the plays themselves. Without 100% focus on execution and 100% effort, you take the chance of getting this result.
Exactly my point, it seemed like they just stopped playing hard. and the bengals took advantage

Then we agree…and it starts at the top. Pete said as much without really saying that it was the problem. I think it's been a problem since demoralizing Denver in 48. That's how we should play every game.

Love em or hate em New England is the perfect example. They never take off the gas.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3doohqyp said:
2Cool4School":3doohqyp said:
they let their foot off the gas. its not bad to try and let the clock run out when you are leading by 17. But when the other team starts scoring, its time to take some chances and put the game out of reach. they didnt take any chances in the 4th quarter

A full quarter is way too much time to pull off the gas against a team this good.

Agree. They went into "preserve the win" mode at the end of the 3rd quarter and it came back to bite them. They needed to keep going full speed the whole game and not let up.

I have no idea why NFL teams continue to learn this the hard way, yet never learn from it.

Latest posts