Is a rookie QB really enough to turn this around?

Spohawks

Reaction score
I get that we will need to see a few games with the starters in full force before we can really judge how this year's team will look, but just about every position is sucking....HARD!

The bright spot is that the back up RBs are ruthless, non of them scream All Pro but they truly give 100%.

So is some rookie QB enough to over come the rest of the teams woes? I disliked Russ at the end but he made the team competitive. Can we really expect a rookie to play at Russ's level? People say "Just wait until next year" but for what? To watch a guy develop for a couple of seasons?

I am just freaking out a little right now about the future of the team. Tonight's performance was shockingly bad.

W

Welshers

I mean if they can hit on a great rookie QB then yes it is possible. Look what Joe Burrow did to Cincinatti in 2 short years. But not a lot of picks are hits like that. they could also get someone whos a bust or even just serviceable. and even serviceable is not enough. we must get a generational talent which is just lottery. so yeah i dont like our chances

sc85sis

Reaction score
I get that we will need to see a few games with the starters in full force before we can really judge how this year's team will look, but just about every position is sucking....HARD!

The bright spot is that the back up RBs are ruthless, non of them scream All Pro but they truly give 100%.

So is some rookie QB enough to over come the rest of the teams woes? I disliked Russ at the end but he made the team competitive. Can we really expect a rookie to play at Russ's level? People say "Just wait until next year" but for what? To watch a guy develop for a couple of seasons?

I am just freaking out a little right now about the future of the team. Tonight's performance was shockingly bad.
It was shockingly bad because of the TOs that lead to points against. And we still only lost by a couple points in the end. It’s all about the ball.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This team has some huge holes, but it isn't all in all terrible. If Lucas and Cross pan out, we've got a solid base to build our line on with Lewis, Lucas and Cross. They're both looking great this preseason, even handling some of the leagues better pass rushers such as Quinn. That is some good youth, all we need is a serviceable center and perhaps a RG if Jackson falls off. Our line is on a great path to setting up a rookie passer for success.

Our top wide receivers are also decent. DK Metcalf and Lockett are a good duo. Lockett is starting to get up there, so we may want to think about getting another guy to compliment him. Lockett may have a second wind when he gets older as a slot receiver as well because his route running is EXTREMELY good. Our TE group is also decent between Fant and Dissley.

On offense we have almost all the tools that we need for a rookie to come in and succeed immediately. An offseason should complete our O-Line and a #3 WR pick up should set the stage.

On defense things are a little more dicey. Our ILB's aside from Brooks are suspect. Even Brooks hasn't played this position in the NFL. All of our ILB's save for Brooks seem to struggle with tackling. The cupboard is bare here and I suspect that our defense is going to be exploited up the middle this season.

Our DB's are a bunch of unknowns. Brown showed he could play, but the likes of Woolen, Jackson, Bryant, etc are all rookies. Each one of these guys shined in the preseason, but I suspect they're going to take some time to develop and have their fair share of mishaps.

The weakest position here, I think is the D-Line. Not a lot of depth for a 3-4 defense here. Or pass rushing LB's also present a lot of unknowns.

The story with this team, especially on defense is we have a bunch of unknown commodities and question marks. They could pan out but if we go by NFL averages, many of them probably won't. This season is all about developing young talent above all else. Whether or not any of these players emerge will really tell us what kind of team we're going to be and whether or not we can expect another Super Bowl run with an elite QB prospect.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
We had a very good draft this year, -- and if we have another good one next year (with two first-round picks!), we will have the nucleus of a good team. And when you have a top 3 pick -- which we are very likely to have next year -- with some excellent QBs coming out, you have to grab one. We might not make the playoffs next year but it will be a solid start. Rome wasn't built in a day.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It’s hard to say with what we’ve seen so far but there are more than a few very good p,Ayer’s on the team, many of whom are young and still ascending in terms of their playing abilities.

With a good young QB added to this mix but adding in another good solid draft and maybea quality vet, and things might explode in terms of the ability of the team to challenge and prevail in this Division which then sets them up to advance in the playoffs.

Patience will be needed for sure but I’d say without a doubt yes.

sprhawk73

Reaction score

Dude, are you living under a rock? Geno is a gap year QB, see Tarvaris Jackson in 2011 for more details. Look to a high pick in next years draft for your QB of the future.

Like I said in another post, watch the rookies. They are actually doing good statistically. Let that be your win and this year will go much easier.

And yes, a 1st round rookie QB without height limitations can play higher than Russ's level.

Maybe this will help. Mahomes has 65 games vs 160 games for RW. Using a stat modifier of 2.5 to align the games Mahomes is smoking Russ, on track for over 100 more TD's and 10k more passing yards. Hope that helps.

Mahomes leads RW in every category including sack percentage, 3.8% vs 8.2%

And don't forget we will have an improved Oline with a year of NFL experience to protect him.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ideally, the Hawks won't just be adding a QB. They have a lot of draft capital. With any luck, they can turn their first four picks (in rounds one and two) into top-tier QB and pass rush prospects. Maybe an interior lineman, too.

If they and Denver both finish poorly, it's possible that they could come out of the first two rounds with four immediate contributors that won't take long to be upgrades.

They have an extra fifth rounder, too. 10 picks total.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Nothing is guaranteed in life, especially a rookie QB in the NFL. You draft ..you gamble..plain and simple.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I'm hoping Pete and John get "their guy" without trading up and we can fill other holes with our remaining draft picks, I don't care who it is as long as Pete and John get their guy. Personally I like the kid from Coastal Carolina, he could be a steal

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Define 'Turn around'.

SB? Unlikely (Although Bengals went with an iffy pass rush, terrible OL, average roster, but great WR and great QB...if you get the right matchups and have a great QB - you could)

Playoffs? With a great QB, almost assured.

QB is one of the few positions where very few exceptional players are not on winning teams. They swing things that significantly. In fact, the only exceptional QB I can think of that is not really on a winning team is Herbert. One of the things that makes me on the fence with him. He is great but somehow fails to carry a team. Which makes me wonder how great he actually is.

But most exceptional QBs are on winning teams. The problem isn't getting a rookie QB, it is getting a great rookie QB.

Any Qb we get below top 4 will have flaws, so we need someone that is good enough to offset the risk. So far the group looks pretty meh. I haven't watched Coastal Carolina but if he isn't carrying his team - I don't want him. Same reason I don't want Tiny from Alabama or whatshisname from Ohio State.

A rookie QB won't fix anything, might burn things down more. But if we luck into a future star? then yes, we likely get to return to the playoffs consistently.

xray

Reaction score
Jiminy Cricket , once wished upon a star too . :)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Next year nope. Three years down the road,,,sure.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about it. This was absolutely a hang over game. That game against the Broncos loomed large and meant a ton , one would expect a let down after it. I feel like we have a bunch of good pieces and some great rookies this year. But even if we go 2/15 I'm not going to feel like the sky is falling personally. Next years draft is going to be big no matter what. That's not just about a QB either. We have the potential to have a lot of really high draft picks, and if anything a lot of picks and some really good ones. How those go and other moves over the next season are going to be instrumental. Couple that with the following year, then we shall see what this coaching staff, front office, and team can do.

Until then, no amount of bad games or bad losses is going to ruin my spirit. Even if they don't want to admit it, this is absolutely a rebuild.

(Oh and on Russ? He isn't looking too great himself over there in Mile High.)

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
This team has some huge holes, but it isn't all in all terrible. If Lucas and Cross pan out, we've got a solid base to build our line on with Lewis, Lucas and Cross. They're both looking great this preseason, even handling some of the leagues better pass rushers such as Quinn. That is some good youth, all we need is a serviceable center and perhaps a RG if Jackson falls off. Our line is on a great path to setting up a rookie passer for success.

Our top wide receivers are also decent. DK Metcalf and Lockett are a good duo. Lockett is starting to get up there, so we may want to think about getting another guy to compliment him. Lockett may have a second wind when he gets older as a slot receiver as well because his route running is EXTREMELY good. Our TE group is also decent between Fant and Dissley.

On offense we have almost all the tools that we need for a rookie to come in and succeed immediately. An offseason should complete our O-Line and a #3 WR pick up should set the stage.

On defense things are a little more dicey. Our ILB's aside from Brooks are suspect. Even Brooks hasn't played this position in the NFL. All of our ILB's save for Brooks seem to struggle with tackling. The cupboard is bare here and I suspect that our defense is going to be exploited up the middle this season.

Our DB's are a bunch of unknowns. Brown showed he could play, but the likes of Woolen, Jackson, Bryant, etc are all rookies. Each one of these guys shined in the preseason, but I suspect they're going to take some time to develop and have their fair share of mishaps.

The weakest position here, I think is the D-Line. Not a lot of depth for a 3-4 defense here. Or pass rushing LB's also present a lot of unknowns.

The story with this team, especially on defense is we have a bunch of unknown commodities and question marks. They could pan out but if we go by NFL averages, many of them probably won't. This season is all about developing young talent above all else. Whether or not any of these players emerge will really tell us what kind of team we're going to be and whether or not we can expect another Super Bowl run with an elite QB prospect.
This is one of the most informative posts I’ve seen since I joined on 9/3. If the Seahawks can find a Burrow, Herbert, or Allen in the draft, then I can see a Super Bowl run within two years. We need a stud edge rusher and another defensive tackle. Also, a versatile linebacker like White (Tampa). Then some upgrade to the interior offensive line. With the draft picks from the Wilson trade plus the cap space in 2023, I think this can all get done. I’m optimistic.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The gist is that we have significant resources and great players on offense.

We do not have a QB that can acceptably leverage.

Essentially, with a great QB, we are a team that can score 30 every game. The problem is we are also a defense that will give up 25.

So you can see where without a QB (and scoring nothing), giving up a 25 is a problem.

But all the pieces (OL, TE, WR, RB, etc) are there for the offense to produce. But for the QB.

Think the old Green Bay packers but minus Aaron Rodgers.

So we are not as bad as the #s suggest BUT we need a QB and a commitment by the staff to use the offensive weapons they have.

Teams with porous defenses and no pass rush normally don't go to SBs, but there was the Bengals last year. So you never know.