Is Alex Collins a lock to make the team? To stay on team?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ACFan":34krve33 said:
hawkfan68":34krve33 said:
, Rawls and Prosise are strong candidates to be on the team (their health will be a huge factor) .

Two players with big play potential, so I understand their value and potential to really help the team, but a spotty track record for both, particularly Prosise.

In the last 4 years of football, Collins has something like 10 times more carries than Prosise, 10 times the yards, and zero injuries that kept him from games, compared to 5+ for Prosise.

So at some point, history and track record have to outweigh wishful thinking, concerning player's potential chances to consistently help the team. No doubt Prosise could be a valuable role player and help mightily in spots.

The carries/yardage/injury ratio Collins has over Rawls is almost as significant. Rawls can be wildly successful in spurts,because he runs like a crazed dynamo shot out of a cannon, but it's a style prone to injury, as he track record shows,

Whatever caused Collins to be in the wrong shape was fixed by mid-season, and his adaptation to the offense soon followed.

He averaged 7.9 ypc in the season finale, not with huge big play potential, or running wild and out of control, but by doing what he did in college, methodical, running with power and true skill/vision, every down back, who gets stronger as the game goes on.

So I'm playing devil's advocate to many thoughts in this thread, and saying heck yea, my money would be on Collins to not only make the team, but be a steady consistent force the offense will need to thrive.

Worth noting that despite that huge carries/yardage/injury ratio Collins has over those two, he is the youngest.

I'm pulling for Collins to make the team. I pulled for him last year too. I have a gut feeling that it's between Lacy and Rawls as the #1 back. The one who loses that will get traded (I'm thinking Rawls will be the likely one traded). Prosise brings a different quality than Lacy, Rawls, and Collins. Those three are similar and Carson is similar to them in that way too. That's why Prosise is probably safe. The edge goes to Rawls between he and Collins due to experience but that can change during TC and preseason.

HawkGA

Reaction score
ACFan":y0rx0z30 said:
hawkfan68":y0rx0z30 said:
, Rawls and Prosise are strong candidates to be on the team (their health will be a huge factor) .

Two players with big play potential, so I understand their value and potential to really help the team, but a spotty track record for both, particularly Prosise.

In the last 4 years of football, Collins has something like 10 times more carries than Prosise, 10 times the yards, and zero injuries that kept him from games, compared to 5+ for Prosise.

So at some point, history and track record have to outweigh wishful thinking, concerning player's potential chances to consistently help the team. No doubt Prosise could be a valuable role player and help mightily in spots.

The carries/yardage/injury ratio Collins has over Rawls is almost as significant. Rawls can be wildly successful in spurts,because he runs like a crazed dynamo shot out of a cannon, but it's a style prone to injury, as he track record shows,

Whatever caused Collins to be in the wrong shape was fixed by mid-season, and his adaptation to the offense soon followed.

He averaged 7.9 ypc in the season finale, not with huge big play potential, or running wild and out of control, but by doing what he did in college, methodical, running with power and true skill/vision, every down back, who gets stronger as the game goes on.

So I'm playing devil's advocate to many thoughts in this thread, and saying heck yea, my money would be on Collins to not only make the team, but be a steady consistent force the offense will need to thrive.

Worth noting that despite that huge carries/yardage/injury ratio Collins has over those two, he is the youngest.

To be fair, the part I bolded isn't exactly fair. Procise is a converted WR so of course he's going to have fewer carries than Collins.

907Hawk

Reaction score
ACFan":6n9yv28v said:
hawkfan68":6n9yv28v said:

In the two Playoff game Alex had 8 carries for 27 yards, 3.4 YPC.
His season numbers are little better at 31 carries for 125 and 4.0 YPC.

I still think he can be successful in the league but these numbers must improve, he needs more touches and better line play.

ACFan

Reaction score
HawkGA":28r8l6dk said:
ACFan":28r8l6dk said:
hawkfan68":28r8l6dk said:

To be fair, the part I bolded isn't exactly fair. Procise is a converted WR so of course he's going to have fewer carries than Collins.

understood, but the point I was making is still valid, and that's simply Collins is a much more proven commodity at RB than Prosise, for whatever reason.

Most people can't hold up to the rigors of playing RB, heck, most football players can't. Collins has overly and abundantly proven he can, while Prosise hasn't come close to establishing that. Zero injuries with a heavy, heavy workload for Collins, versus many injuries under a light work load for Prosise.

I understand Prosise has more "wow" factor, and people hope he can learn to play without getting hurt so often. Maybe that'll happen, I hope so. II called it "wishful thinking" earlier to assume it will. that's what it is IMO.

To play RB for 5 years without missing a game due to injury is an extremely rare thing. you will not find many examples of that happening, EVER. I'm going to tend to bet on a guy like that if I'm looking at who has the best potential to be productive.

907Hawk":28r8l6dk said:
ACFan":28r8l6dk said:
hawkfan68":28r8l6dk said:

I still think he can be successful in the league but these numbers must improve, he needs more touches and better line play.

He didn't start to get meaningful action until the GB game, when he got something like 7 straight carries after the game was decided.

He was playing with the flu in a bitter cold ( his first real cold game ever), and was stripped of the ball on his 7th consecutive carry. He didn't fumble again for the rest of the year.

Counting that game and the rest of the year including the playoffs, Collins had 133 yards on 29 carries, a 4.6 average. and 11 catches for 74 yards.

Had Collins ran a similar system in college, he may have started the year producing like that. I think it is reasonable to expect he will pick up where he left off at the end of last year.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Collins looked pretty good at the end of the season however Strictly from a talent standpoint, he's the 4th best back on the team (unless the rookie hows him up). He probably won't make the cut, but it would be nice to be able to hang on to him for those games when atleast 2 of Lacy/Rawls/Prosise are hurt.

chris98251

Reaction score
Collins has to compete with Brown who can play Fullback and is a good receiver, Mike Davis a proven back who can receive the ball, Chris Carson who can catch, has been working at FB and has that bulldog running style, Prosise and Rawls who we know and what they bring, Prosise with a year learning and getting some time in should be much improved as well, health as we all know being the issue with Prosise and Rawls, oh and this other guy Lacy who they picked up and lets not forget Tre Madden either.

Collins has to fight three things, better pass catchers, more experienced players, ability to play two positions in Carson, Brown and Madden. Oh and there is that special teams issue which Collins was not a part of last season, again if a player can do that and bring a specialty to then offense or play two positions and special teams who do they choose.

907Hawk

Reaction score
ACFan":18wysg0z said:
HawkGA":18wysg0z said:
hawkfan68":18wysg0z said:

understood, but the point I was making is still valid, and that's simply Collins is a much more proven commodity at RB than Prosise, for whatever reason.

Most people can't hold up to the rigors of playing RB, heck, most football players can't. Collins has overly and abundantly proven he can, while Prosise hasn't come close to establishing that. Zero injuries with a heavy, heavy workload for Collins, versus many injuries under a light work load for Prosise.

I understand Prosise has more "wow" factor, and people hope he can learn to play without getting hurt so often. Maybe that'll happen, I hope so. II called it "wishful thinking" earlier to assume it will. that's what it is IMO.

To play RB for 5 years without missing a game due to injury is an extremely rare thing. you will not find many examples of that happening, EVER. I'm going to tend to bet on a guy like that if I'm looking at who has the best potential to be productive.

907Hawk":18wysg0z said:
hawkfan68":18wysg0z said:

He didn't start to get meaningful action until the GB game, when he got something like 7 straight carries after the game was decided.

He was playing with the flu in a bitter cold ( his first real cold game ever), and was stripped of the ball on his 7th consecutive carry. He didn't fumble again for the rest of the year.

Counting that game and the rest of the year including the playoffs, Collins had 133 yards on 29 carries, a 4.6 average. and 11 catches for 74 yards.

Had Collins ran a similar system in college, he may have started the year producing like that. I think it is reasonable to expect he will pick up where he left off at the end of last year.

The numbers you quote are wrong, he had 125 yards on 31 carries in the regular season 4 yards per carry and 1 TD11 Rec for 84 yards. These numbers do not include the playoffs.

I get that you believe he can be a feature back, its going to be fun to find out.

ACFan

Reaction score
907Hawk":1vtgk2kc said:
The numbers you quote are wrong, he had 125 yards on 31 carries in the regular season 4 yards per carry and 1 TD11 Rec for 84 yards. These numbers do not include the playoffs.

Like I said, i was counting from the time he really started getting used, from the GB game on, including the playoffs, he averaged 4.6 a carry.

907Hawk":1vtgk2kc said:
I get that you believe he can be a feature back, its going to be fun to find out.

agreed, I'm one of the few that believe it, and it'll be fun finding out.

XxXdragonXxX":1vtgk2kc said:
Collins looked pretty good at the end of the season however Strictly from a talent standpoint, he's the 4th best back on the team.

We can agree to disagree. He is an exceptional talent. in terms of vision, instincts and pure running skill, he is the most talented on the team. With the rare durability he seems to have, I predict he will be a multi year starter in the league, with likely a 10 year career.

No one else sees it yet and that's OK, as his upward trend from the end of last year continues, it will start to become self evident in 2017.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It matters little what any of us see or don't see in AC. He'll only go as far as GMs and Coaches allow, which may not be much given this past year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Lacy, Prosise, and Rawls are the only locks, in my opinion. If this team intends to keep a fullback/H-back-type around, Collins is probably on the outside looking in. Barring injury, at least.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I cannot wait to see how Carson looks during preseason. If he is a stud, he will be kept to play ST. I hope he does well there if he does do well running the ball. God forbid we lose another Spencer Ware.

Fade

Reaction score
I think Seattle will carry 5 backs to start the season.

Lacy
Rawls
Prosise
fullback

Are guaranteed

Leaving the competition between AC, and Carson for the final RB spot.

If AC or Carson don't impress in the pre-season they won't keep either one, and just go with 4.

Seattle burned through so many backs last year though that they are going to lean towards wanting to keep an extra one. Especially when your top 3 backs all have a history of getting hurt.

ACFan

Reaction score
Fade":11qgcoca said:
Seattle burned through so many backs last year though that they are going to lean towards wanting to keep an extra one. Especially when your top 3 backs all have a history of getting hurt.

I agree with this thought, and it's partially why I expect AC to rise to the top.

"top back" and "history of getting hurt" are not two phrases that go well together are they?

That being said, if every back stays 100% healthy, I still expect AC to show out this year.