Is anyone really on board with paying Geno $31.2 million in 2024?

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don't hate him. I root like hell for him.

But honestly. $31.2 million?

I posted this in the gameday forum, but I'll say it again. I honestly think we could find someone who on third downs - drops back, stares down his primary read, gets happy feet, tucks the ball and falls for far cheaper.
Every. Single. Third. Down. (especially in the RZ).

He needs to be much better or much cheaper or it's time to find commensurate production.

(edit: it was pointed out to me in another thread that he would be due 22 million in additional monies and the $31.2m includes previously spent salary, but the ultimate cap hit is still $31.2m)

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I can think of a few posters who should be posting that they are completely on board with it.

I want to say there is zero chance they do but I’m afraid Pete and his eternal optimism will do exactly that because he’s super loyal to players

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I don't hate him. I root like hell for him.

But honestly. $31.2 million?

I posted this in the gameday forum, but I'll say it again. I honestly think we could find someone who on third downs - drops back, stares down his primary read, gets happy feet, tucks the ball and falls for far cheaper.
Every. Single. Third. Down. (especially in the RZ).

He needs to be much better or much cheaper or it's time to find commensurate production.

(edit: it was pointed out to me in another thread that he would be due 22 million in additional monies and the $31.2m includes previously spent salary, but the ultimate cap hit is still $31.2m)
I don't think anyone ever was. We'd have to make the nfc championship game to really be worth that

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If the following two truths exist simultaneously:

• You have not found an acceptable free agent upgrade (Basically, you do not pursue or sign Kirk Cousins)
  • You do not have an opportunity to draft a genuine potential upgrade (So, you hate the class outside of Williams and Maye and strike out or dislike Jayden Daniels/Michael Penix)

Then yeah, I guess you're kind of backed into a corner. Your best hope is that he can stay at early 2022 levels with a new offensive staff. It's not the most inspiring option, but it is your fallback nonetheless. Need a genuine developmental option behind him with dual threat capability, ideally a draftee such as Bo Nix, Jalon Daniels, or Jordan Travis.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We've seen Geno's ceiling... and it's not high enough to win our division with Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch running the show in Santa Clara.

Time to move on. The last couple of drafts have given us hope for the future but Geno is not the answer at QB.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Geno won’t make $31 million next year. It’s more like $22.5. $31 million is just his possible cap number but over $8 million is already counted from his signing bonus.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As dissatisfied as fans may be, it is commendable that they included a team friendly out in his contract and structured his cap hit to be just $10m this year. The raw contract numbers are misleading to the general fanbase, who believe we are already paying him $30m per year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
But it’s frustrating they MAYBE don’t do more to get a guy in last years draft. I’m biased because I really liked AR and Levis and Richardson went 1 pick before them I think? And Levis was there. But maybe next years class is loaded too although you traded away two valuable pieces that could’ve been used to move up for someone.

I know it’s because of a rough game but man right now it feels like the problem is the staff

12forlife

Reaction score
I hope JS is making the the call on draft day! Geno was givin a honest chance, he just flat isn't good enough. With how he is playing we are now looking at being in the top half of the draft. Now you have to start talking about moving up as far to go after Maye or Williams. Daniels is worth moving up for aswell.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
But it’s frustrating they MAYBE don’t do more to get a guy in last years draft. I’m biased because I really liked AR and Levis and Richardson went 1 pick before them I think? And Levis was there. But maybe next years class is loaded too although you traded away two valuable pieces that could’ve been used to move up for someone.

I know it’s because of a rough game but man right now it feels like the problem is the staff
Stroud and Richardson were my favorite guys. Levis I admittedly wouldn't have touched until day 2 and Bryce was borderline off my personal board as a franchise QB due to his build (but I thought he'd be better than this).

I would have liked either, honestly. I did mostly want a positional player, though, to be clear.

CactusJack

Reaction score

I still think Levis is basically Drew Lock. I think the league viewed him very much in the same way. That's why he fell to the 2nd round.

Obviously in hindsight, maybe they take the swing on Richardson by trying to jump the Colts. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Witherspoon is going to be a cornerstone player for this team going forward. So I don't think they have too many regrets about how things unfolded ultimately.

NoGain

Reaction score
At this point I'd probably trade Metcalf this off season and try to recoup more draft capital and flexibility to get a QB to develop. Wlliams and Maye will be gone unless we pull a drastic move to move up in the draft. As much as I love Penix as a Husky fan, and love his arm talent, he worries me from a durability standpoint. Jayden Daniels has definitely become an intriguing prospect for me, but he's probably moving up the draft board and we might have to expend some draft capital to get him. Hard to say for sure at this point.

For the love of God, I hope they realize the team's need to get a QB or two in the next draft to develop. We've put this off for far too long, almost negligently so.