Is anyone really on board with paying Geno $31.2 million in 2024?

Xxx

Reaction score
If the following two truths exist simultaneously:

• You have not found an acceptable free agent upgrade (Basically, you do not pursue or sign Kirk Cousins)
  • You do not have an opportunity to draft a genuine potential upgrade (So, you hate the class outside of Williams and Maye and strike out or dislike Jayden Daniels/Michael Penix)

Then yeah, I guess you're kind of backed into a corner. Your best hope is that he can stay at early 2022 levels with a new offensive staff. It's not the most inspiring option, but it is your fallback nonetheless. Need a genuine developmental option behind him with dual threat capability, ideally a draftee such as Bo Nix, Jalon Daniels, or Jordan Travis.
Right, if we are forced to then damn. But please don’t do nothing but sign him

Xxx

Reaction score
At this point I'd probably trade Metcalf this off season and try to recoup more draft capital and flexibility to get a QB to develop. Wlliams and Maye will be gone unless we pull a drastic move to move up in the draft. As much as I love Penix as a Husky fan, and love his arm talent, he worries me from a durability standpoint. Jayden Daniels has definitely become an intriguing prospect for me, but he's probably moving up the draft board and we might have to expend some draft capital to get him. Hard to say for sure at this point.

For the love of God, I hope they realize the team's need to get a QB or two in the next draft to develop. We've put this off for far too long, almost negligently so.
The 49ers are the example of meticulously and with conviction allocating resources to the most important positions. O-line, D-line, and qb. They traded everything they had for trey lance and still drafted Purdy the same year,all while they still phad garropolo and meanwhile stock piled first round d-lineman in abundance and dancing bears all over the offensive line with no cap space. They seem to put the least resources into corners and wide receivers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
As dissatisfied as fans may be, it is commendable that they included a team friendly out in his contract and structured his cap hit to be just $10m this year. The raw contract numbers are misleading to the general fanbase, who believe we are already paying him $30m per year.

I was just going to say, I believe Seattle has an out with Geno's contract.

I honestly believe Pete is done after just two more years and he's going to sign a Cousins or someone comparable for on last push attempt.

Bottom line - Hope Geno didn't buy a house in Seattle.

Fade

Reaction score
Preposterous.
I love that word.

Onto the OP: The good news is. The Seahawks didn't really believe in Geno, either. They structured his contract to get out of it, if he isn't the guy. But, Pete could keep him, which should make everyone very nervous. This org loves to flush money. They are flushing it at Safety as we speak. Flushed it on $50M in JAGs back in 2020. So…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I was just going to say, I believe Seattle has an out with Geno's contract.

I honestly believe Pete is done after just two more years and he's going to sign a Cousins or someone comparable for on last push attempt.

Bottom line - Hope Geno didn't buy a house in Seattle.
I'd be excited to draft a young dude to grow, but Cousins has been putting out seasons rivaling Russell Wilson's best efficiency-wise for years now. Couple that with fresh minds on the offensive sideline (who, hopefully, aren't dogshit at their jobs), and things look a bit brighter.

Xxx

Reaction score
I'd be excited to draft a young dude to grow, but Cousins has been putting out seasons rivaling Russell Wilson's best efficiency-wise for years now. Couple that with fresh minds on the offensive sideline (who, hopefully, aren't dogshit at their jobs), and things look a bit brighter.
I can’t believe I’m considering cousins… could we even afford him?

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
Draft a QB in round 1 and make him your day 1 starter. Geno is so outta here.
Drafting a QB in the first round is no quarentee that your future is set.
Trey Lance and Brock Purdy are proof of this.

Drafting for defense has proven to be the best option. If they can't score off of you then you are always in the game regardless of how shitty your QB is.
The 2000 Baltimore Ravens and Trent Dilfer are proof of that.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Pete's Seahawks DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, come hell, high water, and great need, DO NOT, EVER, like NEVER, EVER, NEVER, draft high round QBs!!!

I cannot stress enough how much this IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

We will grab a bandaid free agent and a mid to late round "project QB". So PRAY that this works, because it is our only hope...

We'll draft the shiniest CB in the draft in the first round though, so bank it!

Oh and we will COMPLETELY ignore the Offensive and Defensive lines in the draft, despite these two near TOTAL FAILS< are glaring problems, that will again, barely be addressed, maybe as an afterthought...

The result? Maybe a wildcard, a barely "winning season" quick exit, later rinse, repeat...

Ad infinitum.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Six more games of the dumpster fire we saw yesterday, and the games before that, etc, and Pete will have no choice but to draft a qb, if he's not fired first. This crap show cannot continue. If they see a qb they like, they have to do everything possible to move up to get him. If the digits were able to do it with Lance and Purdy, and be a contender not long after, then why can't we do the same?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Oh, and no, an expensive free agent like Cousins is not the answer. That's just putting more [expensive] lipstick on the pig. Time to rip the bandaid off.

Welshers2

Reaction score
It's not as black and white as everyone makes it seem. The fact is this is what average qbs in the nfl make these days. Whether we keep Geno or not depends on who we can replace him with. If we get a good rookie qb in the draft who is ready to start, sure, we can get rid of Geno. But if there are no other options then at least we have a mid tier qb

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I still think Levis is basically Drew Lock. I think the league viewed him very much in the same way. That's why he fell to the 2nd round.

Obviously in hindsight, maybe they take the swing on Richardson by trying to jump the Colts. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Witherspoon is going to be a cornerstone player for this team going forward. So I don't think they have too many regrets about how things unfolded ultimately.
Imagine if they had took AR
You saw 3 games out of him and done for the year.
He still hasn't proven anything but Injury prone.

James in PA

Reaction score
Drafting a QB in the first round is no quarentee that your future is set.
Trey Lance and Brock Purdy are proof of this.

Drafting for defense has proven to be the best option. If they can't score off of you then you are always in the game regardless of how shitty your QB is.
The 2000 Baltimore Ravens and Trent Dilfer are proof of that.
But drafting one early does increase your chances of getting a keeper.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My QB of the future just announced he won't be available to the nfl until 2025. So we need a stopgap to get there.
I think you ignore salary and focus on performance and Geno is in a veritable freefall. Time to move on. I really believe our results would be no worse with Lock under center than what is happening on our current path. And maybe better. I don't see him under .500 in the red zone and I question whether or not he would produce higher turnover rate. It's kind of a "what do you have to lose" thing. If he IS worse our pick position improves.
I've been playing for next year all along. For all the QB talk I still believe our primary focus should be on LOS, both sides.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm okay with it. It's easy to throw him under the bus. It's harder to find a replacement who will outperform him. (If you think you're mad now, just think about how mad you would be if it were someone like Daniel Jones or Kenny Pickett playing yesterday instead).

CactusJack

Reaction score
Imagine if they had took AR
You saw 3 games out of him and done for the year.
He still hasn't proven anything but Injury prone.
I think AR will be good.

If the Hawks take him, he's sitting behind Geno. So the likelihood of him getting hurt is fairly low here.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Geno is average. It's not his fault that he gets pressured a lot, but it's totally his fault when he makes dangerous throws. In the end, he's average. No reason to spend any money on him.