Is it possible OC runs with Lock?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I'm totally fine with signing Lock to another 1 year deal, draft a rookie, and then open training camp with a "may the best man win" QB battle.
it worked last time.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I feel like there's no way we don't keep Geno. Maybe they draft somebody who can start immediately, but it's a long shot so ya gotta keep Geno. Maybe he can prosper under a new system.

toffee

Reaction score
Hawks will keep Lock and cut Geno, IF:
  1. Schneider has identified a QB in this year's draft.
  2. Team is viewing this season as the reset rebuild season.
Hawks will keep Geno, IF:
  1. Team feels an improved defense is enough for Hawks to challenge as a playoff contender.
  2. The future QB may need more than a season to learn and mature.
The thing about Lock was his accuracy, not sure if it was him, or the lack of chemistry between him and the WRs.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Are you saying Geno is gone or are you saying we don't draft a QB this year?
dude I don't know!!! I feel like they are going to clean house, but I can see a path where they have to prioritize the trenches this year and Geno stays. I'm fine either way. I like shiny new stuff though and It's no secret I'm a Penix fanboy.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
dude I don't know!!! I feel like they are going to clean house, but I can see a path where they have to prioritize the trenches this year and Geno stays. I'm fine either way. I like shiny new stuff though and It's no secret I'm a Penix fanboy.
I think Lock will get a 6- or 7-million-dollar 1 year offer from some other team this year.
I don't see Seahawks offering him any more than 4 million.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
There is no greater boost to your potential as a QB than being a backup to a starter people are unhappy with lol.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Maybe, if he wants to stay. He'll probably be looking for a team with an eye at a chance at starting. That might be here, but who knows? If they keep Geno around, the chances that Lock will start go down a bit.
I wonder if MM feels that a real QB competition is warranted. I had the feeling that Pete Carroll named Geno Smith the starter . Period.

I think Smith probably is a little better but I don't think there's that big of a difference between the two . They could get Lock for a heck of a lot less money and he's younger . I think there are going to be a lot of roster changes.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
I wonder if MM feels that a real QB competition is warranted. I had the feeling that Pete Carroll named Geno Smith the starter . Period.

I think Smith probably is a little better but I don't think there's that big of a difference between the two . They could get Lock for a heck of a lot less money and he's younger . I think there are going to be a lot of roster changes.
Plus with the reputation the new OC has, it's reasonable to think that he can work with whatever skill set Lock has knowing it's only short term until the QB of the future is found.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm totally fine with signing Lock to another 1 year deal, draft a rookie, and then open training camp with a "may the best man win" QB battle.
This seems like an obvious solution, with a focus on the future, and cheaper than Geno.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
We are not in a position to draft a QB that will are confindent will be ready for week 1. Drafting a a QB 16 we are drafting someone who we expect to be our starter for 2025 and might be ready mid season (think Mahomes). Rarely such a QB beats the expected starter in preseason (e.g .RW3, Mac Jones).
If we get a QB at 16 (or even trading up to say 8) we wil need an established QB to be the "expected starter" or at least competition for him. I would expect that to be Geno but I could see it being Lock for budget reasons.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The way the cap jumps every year, Geno is really not that overly pricey for what he will be getting paid in 2024. I can see WHY people want to move on from him, but I also still say he would be a hell of a mentor to the next QB that they hopefully draft.