Is Russell Wilson a pocket passer ?

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1gzsgf3v said:
theincrediblesok":1gzsgf3v said:
Cartire":1gzsgf3v said:
Whats the constant fascination with pocket passers?

Do we have a QB who wins games a lot? Yes. Then who cares how?

Because the media wants us to believe that a pocket passer is the only true QB, but yet they forget that Steve Young was efficient and was very mobile himself, heck even Elway had some of those, they both won a Superbowl with a great defense and running game.

Rodgers is a pocket passer but he also can kill you with his mobility. I mean just look at last year. He had 43 runs, 269 yards and 2TD

Luck also runs a far bit. For his career he has 189 attempts, 905 yards and 12 TD

\
Agreed but they are both over 6 feet, and are white. AS much as I hate to say it those 2 thing splay a part in the medias opinion. I mean name me an African American QB who was not though of as a run first QB. Then add in all the Media how said Wilson would be a bust, Prisco and others, they will never admit they are wrong so the whole pocket passer, eye test BS is their way of never having to.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Anthony!":1x29hil3 said:
WilsonMVP":1x29hil3 said:
theincrediblesok":1x29hil3 said:
Cartire":1x29hil3 said:

Because the media wants us to believe that a pocket passer is the only true QB, but yet they forget that Steve Young was efficient and was very mobile himself, heck even Elway had some of those, they both won a Superbowl with a great defense and running game.

Rodgers is a pocket passer but he also can kill you with his mobility. I mean just look at last year. He had 43 runs, 269 yards and 2TD

Luck also runs a far bit. For his career he has 189 attempts, 905 yards and 12 TD

\
Agreed but they are both over 6 feet, and are white. AS much as I hate to say it those 2 thing splay a part in the medias opinion. I mean name me an African American QB who was not though of as a run first QB. Then add in all the Media how said Wilson would be a bust, Prisco and others, they will never admit they are wrong so the whole pocket passer, eye test BS is their way of never having to.

Uh....this guy? :D He has better pocket presence than Wilson and the vikings oline sucks just as bad

8a9fc5430b01092780d01b5b87a51904 crop north

I think he is going to be the breakout QB of the year. By the end of the year he was one of the best QBs in the entire league. So far in preseason without AP in as RB he is 12/14 (85.7% completion) 130 yards 9.3 avg

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":scpq8ni7 said:
Anthony!":scpq8ni7 said:
\

Uh....this guy? :D

He was still consider a guy who could run, also a high draft choice, over 6 foot etc etc

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Anthony!":cng8duvq said:
WilsonMVP":cng8duvq said:
Anthony!":cng8duvq said:
\

He was still consider a guy who could run, also a high draft choice, over 6 foot etc etc

But hes not seen as a Vick, Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick type of QB

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3nxubpkl said:
WilsonMVP":3nxubpkl said:
theincrediblesok":3nxubpkl said:
Cartire":3nxubpkl said:

\

Uh....this guy? :D He has better pocket presence than Wilson and the vikings oline sucks just as bad

I think he is going to be the breakout QB of the year. By the end of the year he was one of the best QBs in the entire league. So far in preseason without AP in as RB he is 12/14 (85.7% completion) 130 yards 9.3 avg
I think their Oline has made some strides, even though I see Loadholt is lost for the year now.

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2qaozqqa said:
Anthony!":2qaozqqa said:
WilsonMVP":2qaozqqa said:
Anthony!":2qaozqqa said:
\

But hes not seen as a Vick, Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick type of QB

agreed but he was not seen as a Luck, Rodgers, Manning, Brady type either.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
I like Teddy Bridgewater just fine (and living in Kentucky I have no choice but to be familiar with him), but he ain't got a better anything than Wilson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No, Wilson is NOT a pocket passer. He is out of his element in the pocket, and usually he prefers to bail, rather than commit. This is where he absolutely needs to improve. He tends to camp the left tackle, and that makes getting to him much easier. It makes the left tackle's job much harder, essentially Wilson brings a lot of pressure onto himself. I've seen him walk himself into a sack many times when he tries to commit to the pocket as well. His pocket presence is lacking, and even when he does have protection he doesn't look very comfortable in there.

Anthony!

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1jj3bgop said:
I like Teddy Bridgewater just fine (and living in Kentucky I have no choice but to be familiar with him), but he ain't got a better anything than Wilson.

Agreed

I mean other than a few misinformed people it is factual that Wilson is very very good in the pocket. I mean he has a higher complt% in the pocket than Luck and the same as Brady and is top 10. Those are facts not opinions.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Teddy Bridgewater was not a mobile QB coming out of college, he was drafted as a pocket passer, he just happened to run alot more in the NFL than he ever did in college.

Teddy Bridgewater was given 30 pass a game last year because they didnt' have a run game. He was given the chance to show the NFL what he can do as a passer and he looked decent enough. I believe he will be much better as the years progress.

Wilson was never given that chance as they already had Lynch and a defense so they didn't need him to do it all. We won't see Wilson getting more passes until either Lynch retires or the defense starts to decline.

Rodgers and Luck were seen as a pocket passer first, and they were considered high draft picks anyways, the mobility were extra bonuses, Luck I will say is underrated for his mobility. Andrew Luck had over 900 yards rushing in his 3 years in College and have the same amount for the last 3 years in the NFL as well.

Wilson is being undervalued as a pocket passer because he is not allowed to pass 30+ a game, our system does not allow him to be that type of QB. Our game predicates on the run first mentality and explosive plays. I don't think it would ever change while Pete Carroll is here, and Wilson is ok with that as long as they keep winning.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2p170i4q said:
Teddy Bridgewater was not a mobile QB coming out of college, he was drafted as a pocket passer, he just happened to run alot more in the NFL than he ever did in college.

Teddy Bridgewater was given 30 pass a game last year because they didnt' have a run game. He was given the chance to show the NFL what he can do as a passer and he looked decent enough. I believe he will be much better as the years progress.

Wilson was never given that chance as they already had Lynch and a defense so they didn't need him to do it all. We won't see Wilson getting more passes until either Lynch retires or the defense starts to decline.

Rodgers and Luck were seen as a pocket passer first, and they were considered high draft picks anyways, the mobility were extra bonuses, Luck I will say is underrated for his mobility. Andrew Luck had over 900 yards rushing in his 3 years in College and have the same amount for the last 3 years in the NFL as well.

Wilson is being undervalued as a pocket passer because he is not allowed to pass 30+ a game, our system does not allow him to be that type of QB. Our game predicates on the run first mentality and explosive plays. I don't think it would ever change while Pete Carroll is here, and Wilson is ok with that as long as they keep winning.

Not being seen as one and not being able to are not the same thing as I showed when given a chance Wilson is a very very good pocket passer.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2wb9m5pf said:
No, Wilson is NOT a pocket passer. He is out of his element in the pocket, and usually he prefers to bail, rather than commit. This is where he absolutely needs to improve. He tends to camp the left tackle, and that makes getting to him much easier. It makes the left tackle's job much harder, essentially Wilson brings a lot of pressure onto himself. I've seen him walk himself into a sack many times when he tries to commit to the pocket as well. His pocket presence is lacking, and even when he does have protection he doesn't look very comfortable in there.

I wouldn't look very comfortable in there too if I've been hit more than most QB's the last 3 years just staying in the pocket. He is much safer on the outside and I rather he scramble to get out of there quickly enough especially if the O-line is going to look like what it did in the preseason game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2gcx2bjj said:
Spin Doctor":2gcx2bjj said:

I wouldn't look very comfortable in there too if I've been hit more than most QB's the last 3 years just staying in the pocket. He is much safer on the outside and I rather he scramble to get out of there quickly enough especially if the O-line is going to look like what it did in the preseason game.

And yet the facts and stats still shows he is very very good in the pocket despite the oline being very very bad at pass blocking.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Anthony!":1j50d6xe said:
theincrediblesok":1j50d6xe said:

Not being seen as one and not being able to are not the same thing as I showed when given a chance Wilson is a very very good pocket passer.

I wasn't trying to deny that, I agree with you on this, just saying that the NFL media has a requirement of 30 passes a game to be considered a passer. Wilson is still considered a game manager and he happens to extend a lot of plays with his leg which alot of them don't like and ridicule him for, the same thought that Spin Doctor is saying.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Anthony!":2uqw9w3a said:
WilsonMVP":2uqw9w3a said:
theincrediblesok":2uqw9w3a said:
Cartire":2uqw9w3a said:

\

Let's see, name a black QB that was not thought of as mob ile.

Warren Moon to start. Then I'd go with Donovan McNabb.

Jason Cambell (although he wasn't good) wasn't viewed as athletic. Tarvaris Jackson is viewed as more of a pocket passer; he definately could make more use of his athleticism in our system than he does, although he's average as well.

Bridgewater is a good one. The knock on him out of college was arm strength and decision making, for some reason. I have no idea how he went into the 2nd round (or did the Vikings trade up, I forget) but there were tons of good analysts saying he deserved to go high in the 1st round, and just watch his game tape from college. Teams definitely over analyzed that pick and Minny got it right. And no, Bridgewater was NOT considered run first or even athletic. A few draft analysts actually knocked him for that.

Also saying Wilson isn't going to get more pass attempts this year is a fslse assumption. His pass attempts have gone up by 50-60 per year every year he's been in the league. With Graham in the fold, I can see them going up a bit more. We can still throw more and be run first....seeings as how we were 31st in the league in passing attempts last year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1fh9bk3e said:
Anthony!":1fh9bk3e said:
theincrediblesok":1fh9bk3e said:

I wasn't trying to deny that, I agree with you on this, just saying that the NFL media has a requirement of 30 passes a game to be considered a passer. Wilson is still considered a game manager and he happens to extend a lot of plays with his leg which alot of them don't like and ridicule him for, the same thought that Spin Doctor is saying.

With you I agree spin doctor is not saying that at all, he is saying what he thinks, and has always thought.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ieqgsb5 said:
Anthony!":3ieqgsb5 said:
WilsonMVP":3ieqgsb5 said:
theincrediblesok":3ieqgsb5 said:

\

Let's see, name a black QB that was not thought of as mob ile.

Warren Moon to start. Then I'd go with Donovan McNabb.

Jason Cambell (although he wasn't good) wasn't viewed as athletic. Tarvaris Jackson is viewed as more of a pocket passer; he definately could make more use of his athleticism in our system than he does, although he's average as well.

Bridgewater is a good one. The knock on him out of college was arm strength and decision making, for some reason. I have no idea how he went into the 2nd round (or did the Vikings trade up, I forget) but there were tons of good analysts saying he deserved to go high in the 1st round, and just watch his game tape from college. Teams definitely over analyzed that pick and Minny got it right. And no, Bridgewater was NOT considered run first or even athletic. A few draft analysts actually knocked him for that.

Also saying Wilson isn't going to get more pass attempts this year is a fslse assumption. His pass attempts have gone up by 50-60 per year every year he's been in the league. With Graham in the fold, I can see them going up a bit more. We can still throw more and be run first....seeings as how we were 31st in the league in passing attempts last year.

While I do not disagree with the QBs you mention all of them were still considered dangerous with their legs and as such the media viewed them differently than a drop back passer. I am not saying it is right just saying it is what it is. I also agree we might pass more but Wilson will stil not be given the credit he deserves because we still will nto pass 35 times a game, he still has Lynch and maybe even that great D. Some Qbs can have all the help and advantages there is, Luck for instance, and others get knocked down for it. Example

Luck has a top 10 pass protecting oline, a top 10 wr corps, plays one of the weaker defensive schedule in the nfl, a defense ranked 11th in the league, but he is god

Meanwhile Wilson has a great RB, great Defense, bottom 10 pass blocking oline, bottom 10 wr corps, plays one of the toughest defensives schedules in the NFL and yet he is a product of the defense and Lynch.

I Mean lets do it this way

Luck: great Pass blocking
Great Wr corps
Easy defensive schedule
#11 Defense (not like it is aweful, it was less than 4 ypg form 10, and while 19 in scoring it was only 3 points form 10 and that is partial lucks doing with all his turnovers)

Wilson: Great defense
Great rb

Really so who really has it better? At worst its a toss up.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wow. This thread again? Is this a pre draft 2012 thread. I am have deja vu.

His numbers in the pocket are amongst the best in the league.

Latest posts