Is Russell Wilson a pocket passer ?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a quarterback who WINS and does what it takes. Who gives a crap if he's a "pocket passer" or not?
Ranks up there with calling him a "game manager" so what, that's what a quarterback is supposed to do. And manage to win, which he flat out does.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":1rfsyf03 said:
So I got a private email, from a certain person on this forum, who made it clear again that Wilson is not a pocket passer, however he also said neither is Luck as he runs to much. So it appears his definition of pocket passer is a one dimensional QB who can only do one thing, Throw from the pocket. So using that I thought I would see how many true "pocket Passer" by his definition there are. So Any Qb who gest over 97% of their yards form the pocket Qualifies as that would equate to " almost exclusively "

P Manning

Thats all folks Just P. Manning playing behind his top 5 pass blocking oline. SO nope sorry Rodgers not a pocket Passer, Brady not a pocket passer, etc etc. Now that we know that definition is stupid lets try a real one.

All that said seems to me a 1 dimensional QB is not what one would want, and it would be far more important to have a person who is by a real definition of a pocket passer as your QB. Definition being that he can make all the throws from the pocket and does when there is a pocket. To me if you get over 75% of your yards form the pocket you are a pocket passer but more importantly your a real multi dimensional QB.
So every QB in the league, including Mike Vick, is a pocket passer. That makes total sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3le9ec3j said:
He's a quarterback who WINS and does what it takes. Who gives a crap if he's a "pocket passer" or not?
Ranks up there with calling him a "game manager" so what, that's what a quarterback is supposed to do. And manage to win, which he flat out does.

most do not but some need to because it allows them to continue to push their hater agenda

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":3uiti5cm said:
SoulfishHawk":3uiti5cm said:

most do not but some need to because it allows them to continue to push their hater agenda
I never even hinted that it mattered if he was a pocket passer or that you need to be a pocket passer to win.

I simply said, by definition, the guy that leaves the pocket more often than basically any other QB in the game is not qualified to be called a "pocket passer." The title of this thread happens to be "Is Russell Wilson a pocket passer?" The answer to this question is very obviously "no." That is all I'm saying.

If you're looking to run, rollout, move the pocket, whatever, you then are not defined as a pocket passer. A pocket passer is someone who spends almost all of their time in the pocket. I never said made Russell Wilson any less of a player. Hybrid quarterbacks have been very successful. Steve Young wasn't a pocket passer. Andrew Luck's not a pocket passer. I don't see why it is so hard to understand.

Cartire

Reaction score
God I love this. Football is BACK BABY! And the forums are heating back up.

Screw all of you who want an elevated forums, this is where the entertainment is. There's a reason I watch football and dont subscribe to the New Yorker.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":21chxswg said:
God I love this. Football is BACK BABY! And the forums are heating back up.

Screw all of you who want an elevated forums, this is where the entertainment is. There's a reason I watch football and dont subscribe to the New Yorker.

Good post.