Is there a chance the Hawks take a rb with a high pick?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":qe36qctu said:
Vin thanks for the response appreciate it.
I could be wrong, of course. I normally just don't like NFL players with long skinny legs. They tend not to last, but each individual has a chance to break the mold. Such is life...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
For those of you who are looking for that 3rd down back. Ervin has already been mentioned and the Seahawks have already shown interest in him. He's very, very explosive.

[youtube]X4eLC2APXRc[/youtube]

One player who sticks out to me that could fill that role is Perkins. As stated, he's not big nor all that fast at all, but has a good feel for cuts and is already pretty adept in the passing game. His combine doesn't look all that impressive, but I would say that his combine is also a bit better than LeSean McCoy's who really didn't look like he was going to be a damn thing in the NFL on paper (McCoy ran a 4.6 40 with a bad vert, etc). My combine in high school would have been better than both of them, but I guess that kind of shows that measurables aren't really everything for a RB. Ceiling won't be as high as a Brian Westbrook, but a 3rd down back he could be.

Plus, the vid song is much better than most.

[youtube]n3sSck_Z_Ds[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Another small school 3rd down type with elite vertical explosiveness. Better overall build than Ervin.

[youtube]R8VdUvAH8bQ[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
lol One thing that Perkins does that I used to do is get a little high when he's breaking ankles. Almost comes off the ground and leaves himself open to bigger hits. It's kind of part of the sacrifice for the extra yard for ankle breakers though.

chris98251

Reaction score
The one thing people forget about Rawls, he was not unknown, he had a run in and character concerns that teams shied away from, he comes from a program that doesn't recruit scrubs, he was the number one target of Michigan out of high school, every change he got to play he put up awesome numbers, he got in the doghouse, transferred and then had a few dings but still great numbers.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3vwc4nhh said:
austinslater25":3vwc4nhh said:
vin.couve12":3vwc4nhh said:
Was this brought on by the fact that Henry has already met with the Hawks?

Normally I don't like long striding RBs who lack lateral agility and true fast twitch explosion, but I guess it's possible. I don't know that he'll even get drafted in the first 2 rounds though. If he's there in the 3rd then maybe. He'd be a great goal line/short yardage back.
Love your stuff but disagree on Henry. He's going to shine in the right system.
He's a lot like a bigger Demarco Murray. Long strider with almost no jump cut and lateral agility. If he can get behind an OL like Dallas (or Bama) where he can just go to the hole where the play is supposed to go then he's going to kill it.

However, like Murray, if he has to deviate from that hole he can't get side to side very well at all and he'll have trouble.

Personally, I don't think it's as much about system as the quality of the OL itself, but system fit works so I can agree with you on that.

He's also recently said that he struggles to keep his weight up. Him being a longer limb athlete, that could actually hurt him in that trying to carry extra weight can easily lead to bad injuries.

People have compared him to Brandon Jacobs, but Jacobs was a much more well proportioned athlete. Particularly in the lower body, which also lent Jacobs more ability.

One thing I really question for Henry is whether the Hawks OL would ever work for him. We don't open nice holes....

So much this. Excellent post. I think Henry is going to be the latest Bama back to bust, but I think he really does not fit this offense with the offensive line being in the position it is right now. We need another Rawls type. A guy that just hits the hole and goes.

And 110% agree with the other poster that mentioned Keith Marshall. That kid will be a gem if he can stay healthy. Athletically speaking he's elite, he's just had some real bad luck (as has every UGA RB for some reason) in the injury department. But I would LOVE picking him up in the 4th/5th round area.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
RB is the only position (besides any ST position) that I would get angry about with a 1st round pick.

RB just isn't that valuable. There are only a few RBs each DECADE that are worth a 1st rounder AND have the college credentials to actually go that high.

Rawls is already better than the majority of 1st round RBs in the last 10-20 years.

Why spend a 1st on a position that around the league has increasingly been taken care of later in the draft?

If I was a GM for 100 years I doubt i would take a single RB in the 1st.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Henry lacks wiggle. He reminds me of an old USC back Sam "Bam" Cunningham. A big guy with a lot of straight ahead power. A great college player not so much in the NFL

I don't see them using a pick for a back. They will pick one up as an FE. They may pick up a low cost Vet yet.

getnasty

Reaction score
Something about Derrick Henry would make me throw up in my mouth, Davonte Booker in the 2ND on the other hand wouldn't bother me.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":24z8fita said:
austinslater25":24z8fita said:
Vin thanks for the response appreciate it.
I could be wrong, of course. I normally just don't like NFL players with long skinny legs. They tend not to last, but each individual has a chance to break the mold. Such is life...
That's what makes the whole process a lot of fun. Love the draft and everything that goes into it.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If we drafted Henry I would be excited. I don't think we will and think he has a good chance to bust.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":11lxvmcs said:
vin.couve12":11lxvmcs said:
austinslater25":11lxvmcs said:
vin.couve12":11lxvmcs said:
Was this brought on by the fact that Henry has already met with the Hawks?

Normally I don't like long striding RBs who lack lateral agility and true fast twitch explosion, but I guess it's possible. I don't know that he'll even get drafted in the first 2 rounds though. If he's there in the 3rd then maybe. He'd be a great goal line/short yardage back.
Love your stuff but disagree on Henry. He's going to shine in the right system.
He's a lot like a bigger Demarco Murray. Long strider with almost no jump cut and lateral agility. If he can get behind an OL like Dallas (or Bama) where he can just go to the hole where the play is supposed to go then he's going to kill it.

However, like Murray, if he has to deviate from that hole he can't get side to side very well at all and he'll have trouble.

Personally, I don't think it's as much about system as the quality of the OL itself, but system fit works so I can agree with you on that.

He's also recently said that he struggles to keep his weight up. Him being a longer limb athlete, that could actually hurt him in that trying to carry extra weight can easily lead to bad injuries.

People have compared him to Brandon Jacobs, but Jacobs was a much more well proportioned athlete. Particularly in the lower body, which also lent Jacobs more ability.

One thing I really question for Henry is whether the Hawks OL would ever work for him. We don't open nice holes....

So much this. Excellent post. I think Henry is going to be the latest Bama back to bust, but I think he really does not fit this offense with the offensive line being in the position it is right now. We need another Rawls type. A guy that just hits the hole and goes.

And 110% agree with the other poster that mentioned Keith Marshall. That kid will be a gem if he can stay healthy. Athletically speaking he's elite, he's just had some real bad luck (as has every UGA RB for some reason) in the injury department. But I would LOVE picking him up in the 4th/5th round area.

Hit the hole and go describes Henry to a T.

McGruff

Reaction score
Happypuppy":20kvtrgr said:
Henry lacks wiggle. He reminds me of an old USC back Sam "Bam" Cunningham. A big guy with a lot of straight ahead power. A great college player not so much in the NFL

I don't see them using a pick for a back. They will pick one up as an FE. They may pick up a low cost Vet yet.

I know it seems like I am banging the table for Henry. Henry is not sudden shifty, but what Henry is subtle smooth shifts in balance at full speed and set up defenders to fail. It's remarkable.

Part of Henry's problem, so to speak, is that he is effortless. He makes it looks easy.

I like Saban's response to being asked about Henry. It was basically the NFL hasn't seen a player with his build do what he does, and if teams could just get past the stereotype that a big back has to run a certain way, they would see all he can do and has done.

chris98251

Reaction score
Henry I think is a back that needs traditional blocking schemes to have a chance, he can't do the read and cut like we run effectively, to scout the crab cuts you have to watch the games, I am not sure there is a drill that emulates that in pro days and combines.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that Kennith Dixon isn't the back. He likes to finish his runs, sets up some of his own blocks, and also just happens to be adept in the passing game. NFL.com and just about everybody else has Henry, Jordan, and Booker listed ahead of him among others, but I don't like any of them more than Dixon as a back to add in the mix with our other two, assuming Rawls can return to form this next year. I really like the attitude that this kid plays with. Kind of has some of that Beast Mode fire.

[youtube]XqPnaMf3h6s[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yep, the more I think about it, the more you really don't need to go with a smallish, more one dimensional back when a player like Dixon is there. He could step right in as our 3rd down guy and also have the potential to be a lot more than that.

pehawk

Reaction score
Perkins film reeks of a player that's either amazing or really, really lucky. Either way he's worth an early day 3.

chris98251

Reaction score
He's an all around back, runs with speed, has a nice slide move and a dead leg move, catches the ball well, runs with power and keeps his legs moving through tackles and breaks them. I think he would be a nice fit.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Another one that can give you an all around game. Has a really nice burst in the hole for a player his size.

[youtube]BBG3fbHCgk4[/youtube]