Is Tom Cable really one of the best?

Jayburd14

Reaction score
bigcc":2waw80dz said:
Lynch Mob":2waw80dz said:
billio155":2waw80dz said:
Our offense line is by far the teams weakest unit.

The Seahawks have the most complete team and the deepest roster in the NFL. So saying the O-line is the weakest unit means they're still pretty damn good. Seattle had injuries all season and had to start a old slow guard at left tackle and a rookie at right tackle for a good part of the season. So I would say respect what Tom Cable's coaching did for this team and the effect it had on putting the hawks in a position to win the Superbowl.

I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't even been MENTIONED as a HC candidate, or even an OC candidate.
I think he is probably going to be Pete's replacement.

grizbob

Reaction score
His "plug and play" O-line got us through a very nasty stretch of the schedule.

His perceived lack of talent evaluation is more than compensated by his coaching in my book.

willyum

Reaction score
dude not every team can run a complex zone run blocking scheme, and be successful enough to have it be the core of your offense. takes serious coaching the players theres a lot of complex mechanics

hawk45

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":37inpkcw said:
We are continually one of the worst pass defending teams in the league. Our run blocking is really not great either. We have individual players that are so epic (lynch/RW), they can somehow overcome instant pressure. Turn losses into no gains, or miraculously extend for positive gains. Now, this could be on the talent we have on the line, but you would like to see some improvement based on scheme and development. I always hear how cable is an o-line god. . . i haven't seen that.

Kind of where I am at on this.

I expect the run-blocking to look better next year if we can stay healthier. The problem is that with as absymal as our pass blocking has been throughout Cable's career here, the run-blocking needs to be all-world. It is...pretty dang good when we're healthy. If we had any pass protection I would say Cable's a genius, but still waiting for that.

And I don't want him anywhere near the draft room. I think we have him to thank for Carpenter, Moffit, and the Sweezy experiment. JS has tried to give him high draft picks but I think Schneid figured out that was like flushing them down the toilet. So now Schneider figures if we're going to whiff on OL we're at least only going to blow late-round picks to do it.

Edit: I'm not saying Cable is bad, or even average. I think he's above average, and he's one coach where if we were looking at replacements I'd be scared we'd do much worse. I'm just saying I think the guru label might be dubious, I don't think he's such a savant that a franchise should consider him for HC, and I don't think his talent for OL comes anywhere near sniffing Pete's talent for defense. PETE is a genuine savant at his specialty, and the only one on the coaching staff that rises to guru IMO.

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
So I've been a rugby coach for seven years now and I have an unhealthy obsession with coaching. I've read just about every coaching book that has ever been printed and here is what I have gathered--all elite coaches, despite their style or sport show these hallmarks: 1. The unit/team they coach is remarkably consistent. 2. Players, by and large, reach their max potential no matter what their base skill level is. 3. The unit/team does not lose cohesiveness due to injuries.4. The unit/team does not suffer mental breakdowns when playing in high stress situations.
According to those hallmarks, most of the Hawks units measure up exceedingly well; Ken Norton's linebackers unit is perhaps the best example.
And I'm sorry, but when I look at our O- line performance the past two seasons they do not meet any of those hallmarks. I may be wrong, I probably am...just food for thought. Go Hawks!

Subzero717

Reaction score
Barthawk":y10v3azg said:
SacHawk2.0":y10v3azg said:
We have a pro bowl tackle, and a pro bowl guard. You're right. Terrible coaching.
Pro-Bowl Guard? who is that?

Actually the only Pro Bowler on the offensive line was Unger. How he made it, well, its fan voting. He had a rough year.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
How do we know that the scouting and drafting of Carpenter and Moffitt were Cable's fault? I realize that Cable would have input But how much?

minormillikin

Reaction score
Fortunately, we don't need a great pass-blocking oline with Russ at QB. He may be better flushed out than he is in the pocket.
The run blocking has (usually) looked fine.

AgentDib

Reaction score
"One of the best?" It is one thing to speculate on how involved Cable was for a given personnel decision, and another thing entirely to then try to rank him based on that speculation against 31 other coaches who you cannot name and do not even have any made up speculation about. Offensive line "statistics" are terrible ways to judge coaches because they do not account for the different resources invested, what influence the coach had on personnel, or what role randomness played when it came to injuries. They do not even necessarily tell you anything about how well the line played because they are so heavily determined by QB and RB play.

billio155":nrwt5g70 said:
we were tops in QB pressures allowed this year
Consider this statistic along with the fact that our line has a very high "time until sack" metric - which is regarded as a good thing. Do these actually tell you anything about our line? No. Seahawk fans have no problem explaining the disparity in those stats because Wilson is elusive and excels at avoiding early sacks, but he frequently holds onto the ball in his effort to extend plays which occasionally leads to him getting a few more meaningless "pressure" stats than other QBs. Attempting to rate our offensive line based on either of these stats is completely missing the influence that Wilson has.

If you want to evaluate any coach's efforts on the line you have to look at what he has to work with, how responsible he is for the personnel, how those players were expected to perform before he coached them, and how those players looked on tape recently.

willyum

Reaction score
how many teams can lose their starting tackle(s), and their center, (2 pro bowlers, 1 all-pro) and still be competitive? Not only that, win the >>>>NFC WEST<<<<

Any other team, especially those with immobile QB's, would have been obliterated by the NFC West defenses.