Reminder: Pete is one of the best challengers

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tacitly admitting Pete is bad at game management, but it is okay because look at the rest of the league is not a good look for Pete.

I need to do a deep dive on this one of these days, ranking all 32 HCs on game management. I'd be surprised if Peter didn't finish bottom 8 along with Mike McCarthy, but who knows maybe he is middle of the pack.

I do know he burns a lot of timeouts, doesn't/does challenge at the wrong times, and luvs 2 punt when he should go for it.

I watch a lot of other teams and not many come to mind being worse than Carroll in this area.

Contrary to popular belief.....

Some coaches are more successful than others when it comes to challenging calls. Dallas Cowboys’ head coach Mike McCarthy has one of the best records, with a 51% success rate. The Seattle Seahawks’ coach, Pete Carroll, and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton are similarly successful, getting nearly 50% of calls overturned after challenges.

Andy Reid is ninth the league with a 48% success rate (59-122). He and Bill Belichick are tied for the lead among current coaches at letting the challenge flag fly the most times. The Hoodie has only been correct 49 times (40% success-18th best active). Ron Rivera rounds out the active top ten with a 48% win rate.

Pete Carroll (12th, 42-91), Sean Payton (13th, 51-111) and John Harbaugh (16th, 46-105) are all also among the top half of the league in challenge success rate.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief.....

That's from 2020 though. I really feel like since then he's been really bad. I mean, I like drinking on games days so maybe I'm off. But he should be better.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That's from 2020 though. I really feel like since then he's been really bad. I mean, I like drinking on games days so maybe I'm off. But he should be better.
There's more to consider than overall success rate. Momentum, opportunity cost, etc. People tend to overrate the utility of keeping challenges and keeping timeouts in case of needing to use them later. A challenge is really just a super time-out with the chance of overruling a close call, when boiled down. This can ice a hot offense.

The narrative of him being a bad challenger has been here for a decade.

DESPITE Pete using challenges as a method of gamesmanship, he was above average in 2020, and hasn't really played enough games since then to change it despite the stat being very poorly tracked.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
There's more to consider than overall success rate. Momentum, opportunity cost, etc. People tend to overrate the utility of keeping challenges and keeping timeouts in case of needing to use them later. A challenge is really just a super time-out with the chance of overruling a close call, when boiled down. This can ice a hot offense.

The narrative of him being a bad challenger has been here for a decade.

DESPITE Pete using challenges as a method of gamesmanship, he was above average in 2020, and hasn't really played enough games since then to change it despite the stat being very poorly tracked.
Thanks for your input Maelstrom! I appreciate the insight man. Like I said........it's not exactly the most important thing I follow. Just going by feel lol

NoGain

Reaction score
But is there a category for quality of challenges? Like that last one was a poor quality challenge.

Jase

Reaction score
Like... if you're going to take a timeout anyway then might as well extend it by causing a review. I feel Pete doesn't always expect to win the challenge.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
But is there a category for quality of challenges? Like that last one was a poor quality challenge.
It's really poorly tracked, but I suspect that most fanbases have the same complaint with their coaches, given that even the best success rates usually boil down to a near coin-flip over enough seasons.

It was a poor quality in terms of winnability, but at the end of the day, they just got a really long timeout out of it that stalled a hot Carolina offense. Might as well, ya know?

BigMeach

Reaction score
It's really poorly tracked, but I suspect that most fanbases have the same complaint with their coaches, given that even the best success rates usually boil down to a near coin-flip over enough seasons.

It was a poor quality in terms of winnability, but at the end of the day, they just got a really long timeout out of it that stalled a hot Carolina offense. Might as well, ya know?
When the best winrates are 50%... Yeah I would agree most fanbases think their team sucks at challenges.