Is Trade With Panthers Possible?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hpgqws8 said:
Wenhawk":2hpgqws8 said:
I'd take a
4th or 5th for Kearse or even
3rd for Baldwin

You'd trade away one of our starting WR's right before the season starts? That's crazy to me, we aren't the Raiders..............we're trying to win SB's here during a very short window of opportunity. Not stockpile mid round picks for next year.
This.

I don't get the thought process behind trying to win a SB now and get a pick for next year when we will have too many as it is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":s8cryjjf said:
We are probably the only team in the league that would pay Kearse 2.4 million and now we think that another team would actually give us a 5th round draft pick to take on that contract? :?:

Russell's developed a nice chemistry with Kearse, who else does he go to when the game's on the line more often?

But yes, as with Doug..........Kearse's value is much higher here than somewhere else. Thus very little trade value.

A silly question to begin with, we don't have the QUALITY WR depth to trade anyone away right now. We have a lot of receivers, but only 2-3 dependable ones right now. Once you get past Doug, Kearse and Graham it's slim pickens for dependability.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
WR depth? You guys really drinking the koolaid on udfa Smith and Williams??? But honestly if it means shipping Kearse out of town im in.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27tmi69l said:
edogg23":27tmi69l said:
We are probably the only team in the league that would pay Kearse 2.4 million and now we think that another team would actually give us a 5th round draft pick to take on that contract? :?:

Russell's developed a nice chemistry with Kearse, who else does he go to when the game's on the line more often?

But yes, as with Doug..........Kearse's value is much higher here than somewhere else. Thus very little trade value.

A silly question to begin with, we don't have the QUALITY WR depth to trade anyone away right now. We have a lot of receivers, but only 2-3 dependable ones right now. Once you get past Doug, Kearse and Graham it's slim pickens for dependability.

A nice chemistry? Would be nice if RW did that with a guy that can actually make the routine catches. Need I remind you of the NFCCG and the Superbowl? Kearse makes the easy catch in the 4th qtr we don't need him to do the circus stuff later one.

MAKE THE EASY ONES~

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jblaze":2ihrehzd said:
We have a lot of middle/lower tier WR depth, not a lot of top level WR's, there's a big difference.

Kearse isn't going anywhere. He's our #2 WR right now and he has a lot of experience.

Today's KC game will tell us a lot about what we do from here. They're experimenting with position changes because we're in kind of a crisis on the OL right now. If Britt works out well at LG and Gilliam does well at RT, we may be set.

If not, we likely don't let Mathis leave tomorrow without signing him and we move Britt back to RT. There are a dozen ways to squeeze someone in under the cap if you want to.

Tonight's game will tell us a lot about what we do from here. This OL trouble is a big mess right now and I don't care if you have the best defense in the game, the LOB, Lynch, RW and Jimmy. If you don't have an O line, it's all for naught.

They will do whatever it takes to make the OL serviceable.

Honestly its about 50-50 at this point. Seahawks view thier WR situation as deep. Maybe not suberbly talented but deep as in you have a logjam of WRs that are close in ability and talent.

Kearse's 2.4m cap hit is a big number. If they felt he was a long term solution its likely they would have restructured to get that cap hit down at this point.

I think you could get a 6th rounder for Kearse, with conditional language that can escalate it into a 5th ie if he catches over 60 passes or 750 yards or 7 TDs.

And out of all the QBs in the NFL, I would rate Newton has one of the best whose abilities mesh very well with Kearse's strengths. The fact that thier WR corps has been average since Newton also gives Kearse some inconsistentcy lienancy.

For the Seahawks, if they roster 1 or 2 of Norwood, Smith, Daniels, and/or Williams, Seahawks will save about 1.9m for trading Kearse. Yhese are expected to make 400-500k.

With Kearse gone, it also forces Lockett and Matthews to step-up and get more snaps. Thats vital experience for guys who will be under contract for 2016.

And when its all said and done if you denote that Matthews only played the SB, Miller played 3 games last year and Harvin with 4 games before the trade. You're pretty much skill position wise only losing Kearse but gaining Graham, Lockett, and Matthews... Health withstanding.

I thought Kearse's experience would be vital and would essentially make him a shoe-in but if the team can trade him for value while liking the depth at the position to make a move. And that move is the catalyst for signing Evan Mathis to protect Russell Wilson. I dont know why anybody would not be behind it.

jblaze

Reaction score
The other side of that scenario is that you have to have a team that wants to trade with you and for value you want. Yes the Panthers need WR"s but do they want him? I don't get the impression that he's valued that much across the league.

Also knowing the FO, they are not knee jerk and willing to start shuffling players off two weeks before the start of the season who were in their plans for this year. 2.4m is a lot for Kearse, I'll give you that but he's our #2 and I don't think they would trade him anyways.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Aside from Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett, who obviously the Hawks won't be moving, I can't envision the Hawks really having anyone that the Panthers would slide in to their WR rotation ahead of Funchess, Philly Brown and Cotchery.

It's reasonable to have high'ish hope for Matthews and Richardson, but Carolina would want a more proven asset if they were to give the Hawks anything of value in return.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3v9iimhe said:
This makes no sense to me.. why would you willingly seek to help out a team that isn't very far off (well now they probably are) of being a contender?

Honestly, any of our WRs that we would be willing to trade would be nothing compared to the improvement that we'd get from signing Mathis. He'd fill the most glaring need that we have and turn it into an instant strength. Hell, Mathis over Bailey might equate to 2 wins this year.

Also, outside of Lockett and Matthews, we don't have a WR that would scare me going up against the LOB. This includes Kearse and Baldwin.

I'd offer to trade them a WR for a draft pick. Dump the salary and the roster spot and sign Mathis. They can keep their OL.

seabowl

Reaction score
Nothing personal with the OP but why do people even speculate about ridiculous trades like this? We could speculate on trades with almost every team on a variety of positions.

On to reality, how about Wilson for Luck? I hear the Colts are unhappy that Luck is unsigned and want a signed QB.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I would be mostly interested in trading kearse for a fourth or fifth round pick because not only does that allow lockett and Matthews to get more opportunities it also gives us a cap flexibility signs a guy likes Mathis overall the team would probably improve maybe not early in the season but by the end of the season would be a much better team and would have a pick for next year

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd be more interested in trading Baldwin, but in all reality they would likely want Kearse, who has really put the Panthers away in the crunch the past couple years.

Personally, even though Baldwin has lead the Hawks in catches, I think part of the reason why he doesn't always get the ball even though he's clearly open is because RW can't see him and/or he has a much smaller catch radius. When RW does throw errant, it's usually high. I know people don't want/like to believe the whole vision/height thing, but....

Physics > Belief

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lukerguy":2p5w71bq said:
Anyone who thinks Carolina is giving up a starting lineman is crazy. The Panthers were notorious for having one of the worst Olines in the league last year, they aren't going to move anyone. They may move a pick, but there are still a few free agents available like Reggie Wayne that wouldn't be that much worse than Kearse.
Then they get no receiver. 8)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":35aznfo0 said:
Sgt. Largent":35aznfo0 said:
edogg23":35aznfo0 said:

A nice chemistry? Would be nice if RW did that with a guy that can actually make the routine catches. Need I remind you of the NFCCG and the Superbowl? Kearse makes the easy catch in the 4th qtr we don't need him to do the circus stuff later one.

MAKE THE EASY ONES~

I agree, I'm just saying Kearse seems to be the guy Russell goes to in big spots.............AND more importantly in the context of this thread he has almost zero trade value.

Chawker

Reaction score
Sure anything is possible! but, a trade at this point better be like trading a can of spam for prime rib. Another words, we better have a back up thats just as good as the one were shipping out. I see only one possibility to be traded and I doubt it will happen.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Interested in trading Baldwin?

1. He's the Seahawks best WR
2. People need to understand contracts Trading Baldwin would cost the Seahawks $400,000. 2.8 base sal against a 3.2 dead cap.

Its as foolish as people wanting to drop Cary Williams.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Why do so many people think that WR is suddenly a position of strength with us? We have added a top of the line TE and a very good draft choice in Lockett but outside of that we are very similar to last year except Richardson is a question mark. We have a couple of Husky free agents with high potential but they were undrafted. I don't think WR is a position of strength but I think we have actually progressed to it not being a position of weakness which is a huge improvement.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I guess technically this is correct, though it felt like another Jermaine Kearse trade thread. :lol:

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a79fnyq said:
I guess technically this is correct, though it felt like another Jermaine Kearse trade thread. :lol:

While Kearse is the better player, or at the minimum a far more proven player, I would be interested in knowing if the Panthers would have given up a future 7th for one year at $2+ million. My guess is no, and, for the reasons kearly mentioned, neither would the Hawks. This trade was far more win/win.

Latest posts