Is Tyree Wilson the best edge in the draft?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The new mock at The Athletic has the Raiders trading up to #5 to stay ahead of Panthers who are also bidding for #5 to jump ahead of Vegas for Levis/Richardson. Hawks get Wilson plus Raiders 2nd and 3rd round picks. This trade makes so much sense for both teams, I think there’s a good chance it may happen,

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He is an exciting young prospect but he would not be the best edge rusher on the team if the Hawks drafted him. Uchenna Nwosu had 9.5 sacks, 26 QB hits, and had 62 total pressures in 2022. He had also had 12 tackles for loss and held his own in the run game. He is a top 15 Edge player in the NFL rushing and against the run. You telling me a rookie DE/Edge with no real pass moves can do better than that?

I like him as a prospect but comments like this should be checked and questioned. Let's be realistic people...

You're probably confused because you think Nwosu is is an edge rusher. He's not.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think he means to say pass rusher, rather than edge rusher. He’s looking at what the guy does more than where he lines up. Like Micah Parsons.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would rather draft a kid from Alabama than Texas Tech.

SEC players are already NFL made. Draft the sure thing if Anderson somehow falls to #5

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The new mock at The Athletic has the Raiders trading up to #5 to stay ahead of Panthers who are also bidding for #5 to jump ahead of Vegas for Levis/Richardson. Hawks get Wilson plus Raiders 2nd and 3rd round picks. This trade makes so much sense for both teams, I think there’s a good chance it may happen,
I would be fine with this except I would take Calijah Kancey instead of Wilson.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
He is a good player, but we could get him at #20 and possibly even in second round.
Could be. PFF still has him at 14 on their draft board but most others have him as a late first early second round pick. We'll no more after the combine. If he puts up Aaron Donald numbers he'll be gone by pick 20. If not I can see him becoming a day 3 pick. He was listed as number 7 on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List and supposedly has a 40 time of 4.69 (Aaron Donald 4.68) and a vertical jump of 31.5 (Aaron Donald 32). Kancey also bench presses 425.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Could be. PFF still has him at 14 on their draft board but most others have him as a late first early second round pick. We'll no more after the combine. If he puts up Aaron Donald numbers he'll be gone by pick 20. If not I can see him becoming a day 3 pick. He was listed as number 7 on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List and supposedly has a 40 time of 4.69 (Aaron Donald 4.68) and a vertical jump of 31.5 (Aaron Donald 32). Kancey also bench presses 425.
If we want both, then take Wilson first. Then just see what the board looks like at #20 or second round.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tyree Wilson makes me think of Clowney. Hyped to the max, but not as advertised.

The media blew up the one tackle where Jadaveon was unblocked, and tackled a small running back, whose name nobody can remember, just as the ball was being handed off and the RB was almost at a standstill.

LJ Collier could have made that tackle.

Tyree is a monster of a man, but I wonder about level of competition, and why he transferred out of Texas A&M? Maybe he couldn't get any playing time on that team?

After redshirting his first year on campus in 2018, Wilson played in 11 games last season. In all, he had 12 total tackles including seven solos, three tackles for loss and a sack.

After strongside DE Micheal Clemons was injured against Alabama, Wilson was moved to fill that void and was there the remainder of the season. But now there is an influx of recruits and newcomers for the spot Wilson planned to occupy such as Fadil Diggs, Donnell Harris and Braedon Mowry.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
My guess (I may be wrong) is that the Hawks are running a 3-4 defense with a DT (NT), two DE, two OLBs, and two ILBs. In this scheme, Nwosu would be considered an OLB who plays on the line of scrimmage (Edge). Tyree Wilson would probably be a DE playing 3T.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I would rather draft a kid from Alabama than Texas Tech.

SEC players are already NFL made. Draft the sure thing if Anderson somehow falls to #5
Anderson Jr reminds me of this year’s Kayvon Thibodeaux. Wilson is drawing the Montez Sweat, Michael Bennett comparisons. I like Wilson’s size and length in our system a little better tbh

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
You're probably confused because you think Nwosu is is an edge rusher. He's not.

Nwosu is totally an edge rusher. Edge rusher's can be either a DE in a 4-3 or a OLB in a 3-4. The term "edge" is used because it can fit multiple schemes and be different positions. Nwosu is an edge.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Tremaine Edmonds from the Bills in free agency and maybe sign Bobby back for cheap to lock up the linebacker duties and Brooks for depth but knowing Pete and John they won’t make much of a big splash in free agency other than signing Geno and picking up maybe 2 good free agents depending on Geno’s signing bonus

seabowl

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Tremaine Edmonds from the Bills in free agency and maybe sign Bobby back for cheap to lock up the linebacker duties and Brooks for depth but knowing Pete and John they won’t make much of a big splash in free agency other than signing Geno and picking up maybe 2 good free agents depending on Geno’s signing bonus
Wagner just came off a monster year. He’s not signing for cheap.

As far as Tyree Wilson he looks purely like a speed/bull rusher, and has few moves if any. I’d be very cautious and taking him at five.

Latest posts