It's Happened - Wilson Traded

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Total shift in what we are going to see… whomever said it above, I don’t think we’re done with moves. I can’t see Lock being the guy…

Dropping Bobby is a kick to the Seahawks’ soul. What an icon… what a day for the Hawks…

flv

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ckjsi3p said:
What can Lock fetch? A 5th? Bet he is traded on draft day.
Low 6th or high 7th. Basically it's the Seahawks 4th for the Broncos 5th and Lock. On paper Lock and a 5th looks better and slightly sweetens the '2 1sts, 2 2nds, & 2 slightly above average starters' deal. In reality Lock might well not make the roster and if he does it'll be at Smith's expense as the back-up.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Rat":3nr4q656 said:
Hawknballs":3nr4q656 said:
LOL at all the people who think this team is just a draft or two and a game manager QB away from competing.

You're in for a rude awakening if the past 9 seasons have been a disappointment for you and you think it's about to get better.

Enjoy the complete and utter mediocrity.

Yeah, I can tell already that I'm going to miss this level of success that has allowed us to win one playoff game over the past five seasons. I'm going to forever dream about the way we heroically concussed their starting QB and survived the fury of a 41-year-old backup making his postseason debut...

As bad as I am feeling about the trade and end of an era this description of the win in Phili made me lol

flv

Reaction score
Would this be a good time to mention Josh Gordon signing an extension in KC?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Northhawk":2mrdsn9c said:
Been on this board and all its past iterations since it started. Seen all eras come and go.

I'm torn on this too like some. Football is one of the team sports where one position is way more important than the rest. Good quarterbacks are hard to find and top 5 almost impossible. So this is a loss that will be hard to overcome.

That said, Pete and John have had 9 years to evolve the team around Russ and failed to do so in a way that gets the team back to SB.

I think the wrong person was let go. I loved Pete and John but they have not progressed the team. They should have gone.

I see us doubling down on D and focusing on run but be far more limited in the passing game. I think the future is more like the 2010 Hasselbeck Seahawks than what we've become accustomed to.

Hope I'm wrong.

Russell needs a smashmouth running game and an elite D to be successful. Does Denver have those things?

Russell can't read Cover-2, so he needs a power running game that can run other teams out of it. Russell wasn't on board with Shane Waldron's offense on the quick timing-based stuff, and just wanted to do what Russell already does.

Russell should have every bit as much success at age 33+ as a 33+ plus Dave Krieg. Krieg was actually fairly successful after Seattle, " started for (Kansas City Chiefs) throughout 1992, leading his new team to a 10–6 record, including two victories over Seattle. However, Krieg's poor performance in the playoffs on the road contributed to the wild-card Chiefs' swift elimination by the San Diego Chargers.

I'm sick of Wilson the politician and him being all about his "brand", and not so much about the team. Excited to see what Pete & Co. can come up with.

I think in the trade, Pete and John said, "how about you throw in a ham sandwich, and we'll call it a deal?" And Denver replied back, "sorry, too high a price. How about we throw in Drew Lock instead?" and John said, "man, you guys drive a hard bargain, but you've got us between a rock and a hard place... OK, deal!"

It's like someone else said in this thread, better to trade your aging stars a year too early than a year too late.

keasley45

Reaction score
LTH":u4hmmwgq said:
I keep waiting for player reaction from the Seahawks that is going to say a ot about what happened... was there problems in the locker room surrounding Wilson? was it a conflict between Wilson and Carroll, was it a conflict of offensive philosophy?

all really good questions... I think once we get this information it will give us a better understanding of why the trade went down and possibly why they traded him for what they got.

LTH

There have historically been rumblings of trouble with teammates around lack of accountability. How the tension wasn't obvious last year from week to week with the HC beside himself about how the offense was playing and RW drawing his line and defending his play... it was there to see. That conflict in my opinion gave credence to talk about a QB who played how he wanted and was rarely criticized for mistakes. I don't think PC was at all comfortable calling out Russel at any point last year and was extremely careful about it the year before. As obvious as it was thstbthe criticism was warranted, its anither indicator in my eyes thst Pete was way too soft on Russ all along.

How many of Russ's teammates were frustrated with it recently, I agree- would be good to know. But DK's frustration was obvious. Tyler expressed frustration that was interpreted by some to be leveled toward coaching. And I can't imagine players on defense took kindly to the offense v defense position Russ would take in countering criticism about not playing complimentary ball.

The play on the field, beyond the typical Russ stats, had holes and they were obvious and have been there for a while. Russ's talent is just such that he was always able to overcome the flaws in his game and those of the offense in ways that were pretty spectacular, but impossible to 'plan' around given his success is largely predicated on improvisation. Improvisation is great at times, but it can be challenging when it's the entire basis of a passing offense ( outside of PA deep shots). It can also be frustrating as a teammate on the o-line or a wr to execute your assignment correctly only for it often to not matter because the qb is going off script for reasons of his own.

But I honestly expect that his teammates will see little value in saying anything overly negative about him. What's the point?

He was and still is one of the best to do it over the last few decades.

keasley45

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2nluhrgu said:
If Russ wins the super bowl next year some on here will still be spitting at him and placing all blame on Russ. The fact is Pete and John have failed spectacularly in their trades and drafts. The Jamal Adams trade was a truly awful desperation trade that set back this team a lot. Not to mention the trades for Graham and Harvin. The way we have thrown away draft capital every stinking year is a joke. Certainly not win forever moves.
So many here seem to blame Russ for this team not advancing in the playoffs. I saw a team that was only there because of Russ. Seahawks are going to be terrible next year and quite possibly for a long time to come and the blame lies squarely on the F.O. not Russ.

And if Russ never has success again, many will forever blame Pete for ruining him.

vonstout

Reaction score
No team has won the Super Bowl with a QB taking up more than 12.8 % of the salary cap. That was what Brady was in TB. The biggest reason Brady won so many SBs is that he didn’t demand huge money because he knew they couldn’t put enough talent around him if he did. Everyone wants to make more money, but I’d rather take less money and compete for SBs than get a huge contact and not have a good team. Any team paying their QB more than 26.6 mil is unlikely to win it all. It could happen, but the odds aren’t good. Russ was under that with his current contract. He won’t be in 2024

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2022/

TAB420

Reaction score
Russellmania3":1nhebszw said:
The Hawks got Fleeced; Straight up
I'll have what he's having, It's obviously very strong. Look man, it sucks that Russ is leaving. But if you really think this, you haven't been paying attention lately.

James in PA

Reaction score
I hope RW's D bag of an agent puts Denver through pure hell after next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keasley45

Reaction score
TAB420":1v6jmjve said:
Russellmania3":1v6jmjve said:
The Hawks got Fleeced; Straight up
I'll have what he's having, It's obviously very strong. Look man, it sucks that Russ is leaving. But if you really think this, you haven't been paying attention lately.

Exactly. The play on tape wasn't worth another contract nor did it inspire the belief that the Seahawks would be able to get out of the offensive purgatory defenses have put them in for 2 solid seasons now. Who tosses the pigskin for the Hawks next is a mystery ( i think it will be D Watson) but RW was known and the results have been on tape for seasons now. No Beastmode. No LOB. No hawks soaring on the arm of RW.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I really hope people watch this. Olsen was only here for a year, but he's pretty candid about saying that Russ was treated like, to use his terms, the JV squad.

[youtube]DCJ7DAoKqmo[/youtube]

Look, this season is going to suck. And Russ is going to have success in Denver. But Russ + Pete had run its course. And if they weren't going to pay him 50 million a year next offseason, they had to make this move.

James in PA

Reaction score
jammerhawk":cc9sclna said:
Wilson signs no trade waiver and passes physical. Trade now will become official once new season starts on March 14th.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -physical/

Thanks for everything RW!!!

God speed!
From that article: "No trade can be official until the start of the new league year, next Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. ET. Until then, either team can back out with no penalty or other consequence."

Would be funny AF if Seattle said, "Come to think of it Denver, we want one more first rounder or the deal's off."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We might as well tank now that we have Drew Lock as our qb.

Our key pieces might as well be traded. Denver had them too. All we can do is get more draft picks for them and start all over. Look, they started Teddy Bridgewater over Lock. There probably won't be a star QB through FB other than Deshawn Watson. Who might not even be available.

If we're going to even try to contend, a realistic possibility right now is Jimmy Garappolo. The guy took the 49ers to one SB and to NFCCG a couple months ago. He clearly outperforms Lock, plus Jimmy has shown that he's a natural mentor to whatever hotshot comes in to take his job. Which won't be this year since we don't have draft picks.

He's the logical choice in FA and we can't compete in draft. Go get this guy.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
GemCity":2x4xjlqy said:
NFC West gotta be feeling real good right now. Especially since our coach ranks at the BOTTOM of the others.

This was the best news my resident 49er fan has gotten all day. I don't begrudge him his gloating but he can do that in the other room.

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":15ptabk6 said:
LTH":15ptabk6 said:
I keep waiting for player reaction from the Seahawks that is going to say a ot about what happened... was there problems in the locker room surrounding Wilson? was it a conflict between Wilson and Carroll, was it a conflict of offensive philosophy?

all really good questions... I think once we get this information it will give us a better understanding of why the trade went down and possibly why they traded him for what they got.

LTH

There have historically been rumblings of trouble with teammates around lack of accountability. How the tension wasn't obvious last year from week to week with the HC beside himself about how the offense was playing and RW drawing his line and defending his play... it was there to see. That conflict in my opinion gave credence to talk about a QB who played how he wanted and was rarely criticized for mistakes. I don't think PC was at all comfortable calling out Russel at any point last year and was extremely careful about it the year before. As obvious as it was thstbthe criticism was warranted, its anither indicator in my eyes thst Pete was way too soft on Russ all along.

How many of Russ's teammates were frustrated with it recently, I agree- would be good to know. But DK's frustration was obvious. Tyler expressed frustration that was interpreted by some to be leveled toward coaching. And I can't imagine players on defense took kindly to the offense v defense position Russ would take in countering criticism about not playing complimentary ball.

The play on the field, beyond the typical Russ stats, had holes and they were obvious and have been there for a while. Russ's talent is just such that he was always able to overcome the flaws in his game and those of the offense in ways that were pretty spectacular, but impossible to 'plan' around given his success is largely predicated on improvisation. Improvisation is great at times, but it can be challenging when it's the entire basis of a passing offense ( outside of PA deep shots). It can also be frustrating as a teammate on the o-line or a wr to execute your assignment correctly only for it often to not matter because the qb is going off script for reasons of his own.

But I honestly expect that his teammates will see little value in saying anything overly negative about him. What's the point?

He was and still is one of the best to do it over the last few decades.

I always just hoped they would work it out and i think if Carroll had his way they would have. So at this point I am leaning toward when we were talking about his ego being the problem... I just don't want that to be the issue, as that makes me lose respect for Wilson and i don't want to lose respect for him... but then I think you bring a good point about Carroll being to easy on him... that has to be a factor.
found this in twitter I think this might be the end part for Carroll..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/kurtstreeter/status/1501417940654067717[/tweet]