It's like we thought (Lynch's Signing Bonus)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ts7t3rie said:
This is a unique situation in that Seattle probably wouldn't keep Lynch at his $11.5M cap hit even if he wanted to play.

Thus, if the team made even the slightest hint of going after the signing bonus, Lynch could just hold off on filing his retirement papers. Ultimately, the team would have to release him and let him keep the bonus anyway. Where a team would otherwise keep the player on his current deal, it makes more sense to go after the bonus if he retires early. Not the case here. An amicable split with the bonus of good PR is really the only sensible option.
Sounds about right.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
sutz":3ou23y0w said:
TeamoftheCentury":3ou23y0w said:
Right. Understood fellas. Just with how the Hawks roll, I'm just thinking they are moving on and wouldn't clamor for compensation and permission already granted. That's what I meant by the "keep the dough." I don't know what Marshawn is thinking other than seeing a pair of cleats hung up in a photo. But, the Hawks probably just said keep the dough without any stipulation and fine moving on.

As a fan, I'd like them to get something in return if Marshawn wants to unretire elsewhere (like with Oakland), but somehow I think things are just settled between the two parties and the Beastmode era is officially over in Seattle no matter what Marshawn might want to do.
The Seahawks are good to their players, but they're not bad businessmen. They would have to actually release him, and I haven't heard that yet. I don't expect they will. ;)
Never said nor believed they are bad businessmen.

I was thinking more along the lines what Attyla offered:
"It was surmised even at the time Lynch signed his deal last year, that this three year deal was really a one year deal. The bonus not being prohibitive enough that Seattle couldn't simply release him. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that this outcome was already agreed to behind closed doors."

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
sutz":2r2isc5e said:
Well, and the contract was just written and signed last year, or at least the latest version of it. I'm pretty sure this was forseen and covered. Thus the low residual, and the two year split of that.
:thshakehands:

mikeak

Reaction score
Well let's see what Detroit does with Calvin Johnson

RIcky Williams also had to pay back money after smoking to much pot then retiring and then unretiring

Finally for strange reasons (sarcasm) Michael Vick had to pay back the Falcons. Then Falcons sold the debt for pennies on the dollar since they thought they would never see the money. Only to see Vick pay it all back to the investment firm that purchased the debt lol

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":id6seybe said:
This is a unique situation in that Seattle probably wouldn't keep Lynch at his $11.5M cap hit even if he wanted to play.

Thus, if the team made even the slightest hint of going after the signing bonus, Lynch could just hold off on filing his retirement papers. Ultimately, the team would have to release him and let him keep the bonus anyway. Where a team would otherwise keep the player on his current deal, it makes more sense to go after the bonus if he retires early. Not the case here. An amicable split with the bonus of good PR is really the only sensible option.

Schneider: "Marshawn, just wanted to let you know that, should you decide to retire, we don't plan to recoup your signing bonus. Please take that as a token of our gratitude for everything you've done for this team. By the way, it would really be nice if we knew your intention well in advance of the combine" ;)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is there anything in the CBA preventing Lynch from giving back $5 million of his signing bonus and then Paul Allen paying Lynch $5 million for consulting services once Lynch is retired?

sutz

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1zgqgs1j said:
Just out of curiosity, is there anything in the CBA preventing Lynch from giving back $5 million of his signing bonus and then Paul Allen paying Lynch $5 million for consulting services once Lynch is retired?
I don't think they'd get away with that, even here in America. :laugh:

Latest posts