It's lonely at the top

toffee

Reaction score
I have used this chart a few times, it's from QBs combine data, you can see Geno is very gifted measurable and athleticism wise. His arm strength may not be in the same league with Allen, Brady and Mahomes, but matches Russ's and stronger than Lock.

QB Combine

And he is not an overnight sensation, below is from their respective grading from last year. Geno had a much higher grading from clean pocket than Russ, Geno's 131 was amongst the elite, Russ' 111 not so much quite average really.

Geno vs Russ 2

Again, Geno has been good , this was last week before the Lion's game.Geno 1

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't know about the arm strength thing. Lock might not be that great, but he has a cannon. That's a well known fact. But, Geno has more than earned the starting position.

TIMD

Reaction score
PFF, for better or worse considering their record, now has Geno Smith alone at #1 in their overall quarterback grades through week 4 (pending MNF).

That's hilarious..... Hopefully Denver loses about 11 games

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Geno is playing great, Bob's follow up tweet is good too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And we really should have seen two pick 6's yesterday. Goff made some damn good throws, but also did that Goff thing a few times.

toffee

Reaction score
I don't know about the arm strength thing. Lock might not be that great, but he has a cannon. That's a well known fact. But, Geno has more than earned the starting position.
Ball velocity, that's what scouts used along with eyeballs, ball velocity is such importance that Tom Brady volunteered to be tested. Lock is so so at 54mph, Russ and Geno both at 55mph, the king of ball velocity is Allen at 62 mph, Brady is 61, Mahomes 60. If you still do not believe in Geno's arm strength, perhaps you will listen to KJ? KJ practiced with Geno for a few seasons, and KJ said Geno has cannon for an arm .... not sure about you, I trust ball velocity and KJ.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Honestly, I don't care about arm strength, some of the greatest QB's we have ever seen didn't exactly have cannons. Get the ball where it needs to be, keep the turnovers down, I'll take it. Geno has been damn good so far.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Kinda the unsung heroes so far this year is the O-line, they're really ahead of where they should be with two rookie left tackles and a new center.

Not taking anything away from Geno, but he's barely been sacked this year, and wasn't sacked even once yesterday. Which for us Hawk fans is a very new oddity.
The Oline definitely deserves credit, just as Geno does. The QB plays a significant role in whether most sacks occur. It's ultimately a synergy of the two not an either or in most cases.

If the former QB were still riding here, I fully believe he would have been sacked a great deal more than Geno has been and as a result the Oline would be accused of being the crux of the problem.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I’m in complete awe of what he’s doing. He came in last year and looked “ok”. Preseason, I had the thought that our QB room stunk. I never had faith in Lock and Geno? Well, at least we had our backup still.

He’s tearing it up. It’s absolutely amazing to see how he’s playing. We have real, actual Tight Ends that get balls thrown to them.

Incredible story.
This is a nicely done expression of change in perspective without hedging or excusing or hiding behind an irrelevant argument. Geno is proving to be more than all of us had expected. We can choose to enjoy this season win or lose if we continue seeing a competitive team each gameday.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The Oline definitely deserves credit, just as Geno does. The QB plays a significant role in whether most sacks occur. It's ultimately a synergy of the two not an either or in most cases.

If the former QB were still riding here, I fully believe he would have been sacked a great deal more than Geno has been and as a result the Oline would be accused of being the crux of the problem.

A lot of talking-head mediots on major TV channels and resident "experts" on .NET told us before the season started that the Seahawks' former QB was going to a team (the Broncos) with an OL much better than the Seahawks' awful unit.

What could possibly have happened, given that the Broncos' superior OL is currently on track to allow 51 sacks this year, while the Seahawks' pathetic OL is on track to allow exactly half that (25.5, so call it "25 or 26")? 🤔

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves, Geno getting the ball out of his hands quicker has made it a LOT EASIER on the O-Line too.
The TE's actually being used to both Block AND to Catch is helping to keep the chains moving, who'd have thunk it? Apparently, both Pete & Shane "Thunk it".
Tough Defenses are going to be more of a challenge for Geno & his O-Line, but Denver & SanFran are in the conversation as really good Defenses, yes? No?
Anyways, Geno has shown that he's actually adapting & getting BETTER as the season wears on.
I honestly didn't think that he had the poise to win in a shootout like he did yesterday, I was wr, wr, Mistaken.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, finally did something in the 4th quarter. I was plenty wrong. Good, hope to be wrong several times more, equaling several more wins.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves, Geno getting the ball out of his hands quicker has made it a LOT EASIER on the O-Line too.
The TE's actually being used to both Block AND to Catch is helping to keep the chains moving, who'd have thunk it? Apparently, both Pete & Shane "Thunk it".
Tough Defenses are going to be more of a challenge for Geno & his O-Line, but Denver & SanFran are in the conversation as really good Defenses, yes? No?
Anyways, Geno has shown that he's actually adapting & getting BETTER as the season wears on.
I honestly didn't think that he had the poise to win in a shootout like he did yesterday, I was wr, wr, Mistaken.
Yes, Denver and San Francisco are in the conversation. (Right now, SF has an argument to be the best defense in the league but we'll see where they're at after tonight.)

Geno came into the game yesterday already with some of the best efficiency and rating numbers in the league despite playing 2 of 3 against two of the better Ds in the league.

BASF

Reaction score
Kinda the unsung heroes so far this year is the O-line, they're really ahead of where they should be with two rookie left tackles and a new center.

Not taking anything away from Geno, but he's barely been sacked this year, and wasn't sacked even once yesterday. Which for us Hawk fans is a very new oddity.
I think the biggest unsung hero is a guy that has received very little notice. Only a few of us were touting him in the preseason while they were showing his work and the drills he had the line doing. Andy Dickerson is a fantastic o-line coach and deserves major credit for what his players are executing.