Jadeveon Clowney has been a massive bust in Tennessee

PNW

Reaction score
nwHawk":dmqtrjxl said:
Hawks dodged bullet.

Clowney is a good player, not an elite one. If Clowney was here and being paid 15 or 20 Million, can you imagine the outrage over him not having any sacks?

Thank you Titans!!!
You have him and his agent to thank for that.....apparently we offered a multi year contract worth close to $18 million per year and they turned their noses up at that. Then after no traction on the open market due to Clowey overvaluing himself we tried to sign him to a one year prove it deal for close to $15 million per year and he still turned that down. What an idiot hahaha

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I think people massively overstate Clowney's contributions. He had maybe two great games last year. He's a good LB that can be used in some pass rush situations, preferably in a 3-4 system, nothing more.

Yea he was disruptive, but I'm beginning to feel that our standard for the D-line is as low as our standard for the O-line for years. I'd be defending Russ because it was ludicrous to expect consistent performances and offensive efficiency with a 31st ranked O-line. I still remember many of the threads on here.

Clowney was simply not worth the contract he was asking for. Yes he's disruptive, but you can get two solid pass rushers for what he was asking for. He also has a bad injury history.

TypeSly

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2uj7sven said:
With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

We have to wait until Dunlap is in. With Clowney we might not have Dunlap.

But with Clowney we would likely be undefeated and we would probably be a SB favorite with this offense.

Even WITH this DC....

Clowney got pressure, he was amazing at blowing up long developing plays, and blowing up run plays. He was amazing at running down plays from behind. He did not get a lot of sacks but he was huge for us.

Whether he is great for the Titans is irrelevant. We KNOW he was great for us here. He dominated a good SF team, he might have won us the Eagles playoff game as well. (Certainly contributed).

We wasted a lot of money on FAs like Olson and Irvin that combined would have gotten us Clowney, so we didn't even save that much money.

I still wish we had him but getting very optimistic that maybe the Dunlap trade works out for us.

Well for the Seahawks to be undefeated, he would have only had to make a difference on a play or two. Then we would be stuck with him being over-paid on a multi year deal.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Clowney's best play in his career is still when he went unblocked in college.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have nothing against the guy. Shoot, I hope he does well out there. I wanted them to sign him for a long while, but as it went on it just got old. Easy to say now, but it turned out to likely be a very good decision to move on from him.
Especially w/the reinforcements we have coming in. If they could even get to middle of the pack on Defense, they are clearly a legit contender to win it all. And with this offense, they already are a contender.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The guy doesnt get sacks,,,,so what. He gets pressure and is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the league. I watched the Titans a couple times this year and all I was thinking was that I wish he was still on the Hawks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Pressure and sacks are both important for the overall disruption of an opponents passing ability.
Sacks alone are not the measure of a valuable DL.

PNW

Reaction score
Basis4day":28l0ndbz said:
Pressure and sacks are both important for the overall disruption of an opponents passing ability.
Sacks alone are not the measure of a valuable DL.
Yes it’s a huge part of it, especially if you’re asking for more than $18million a year, however to your point the Hawks understood this that’s why they were willing to (imo) overpay for him. He said no way though, he turned his nose up at a long term deal at $18million per year. So he can go to TN and get 3 sacks a year for $12million and get handled by Joe Burrow for all I care hahahahaha. Seriously though go watch those highlights! They’re great!!! :D

ivotuk

Reaction score
They are paying Clowney and Beasley 22.5 million per Clayton. And I believe he said zero sacks.

PNW

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ikkrxy1 said:
They are paying Clowney and Beasley 22.5 million per Clayton. And I believe he said zero sacks.
Yep the CB they just traded for Desmond King has more sacks than both Clowney and Beasley combined hahahahaha!!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Isn't Tennessee a 3-4 defense?

Why would JaDaveon choose to play in a defense he's not suited for?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
ivotuk":195g62t8 said:

He's played his entire career save one season in a 3-4.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Titans are worse at getting off the field on third down than the Jets are at doing anything. Mike Sando of The Athletic notes that the Titans are allowing opponents to convert 62 percent of third downs, the worst number through the first seven weeks of a given season since such data started being recorded in 1991.

A problem this big has more than one cause -- it's not all because of the anemic pass rush being provided by Jadeveon Clowney and especially Vic Beasley, who doesn't have a single QB hit all season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/debrief-winner ... e-deadline

AirStrike

Reaction score
ivotuk":h5us7wm5 said:

He was 3-4 OLB since his rookie year with Houston. You could argue he wasn't suited for our defense if anything.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that when Clowney played the niners and had that awesome game, both tackles just came back from injury and were not 100%

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":39iz0hrk said:

Are you familiar with this rare symbol, and what it stands for? ;)

Gold dollar sign