Jake Curhan, our RT

toffee

Reaction score
Looked like Hawks find our starting RT for 2022 and beyond, Jake is a smart kid, book smart for sure but also football smart. Penny's recent success has some Curhan's finger prints on it too, his run blocking is above average already, although his pass blocking still work in process. Our running game in 2022 could be a force if we move Lewis back to RG to team up with Curhan. Pete could go back to success with good running game, good defense, and an elite game manager :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL0N3uye-CI

Just for Texan game, PFF gave Curhan's 77.1, not bad for an undrafted rookie.

https://sports.yahoo.com/seahawks-best- ... 04916.html

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah. Small sample size, but the kid seems to have some chops.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If Curhan could man the RT position, that will make our OL redo so much easier. We have RT, Guards, just need LT, and C. Heck even Pocic is serviceable if slightly below average. Before the season, we were all excited about Stone, now I am excite for Curban.

sutz

Reaction score
Pocic gets a lot of bad ink around here, but he's been playing between some suspect guards a lot over the past couple of years. I think he does fine if he's bracketed with good guards.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I'd say next year put Forsythe at LT, draft a LG, Pocic at Center, Lewis back at RG (his natural position), and Curhan at RT. Test it out during pre-season and go from there.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Dude can run block but he's not a good pass blocker.

olyfan63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3pujedtz said:
So you're saying Jake Curhan is perfect for a Pete Carroll offensive line and getting the Hawks back to the promised land, the heady days of Alvin Bailey, Michael Bowie, young Russell running for his life, read option, and Super Bowl rings.

Here's a blast from the past:
https://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/10/sea ... ve-to.html

Russell needs an O-Line that can protect him for 2.8 seconds while he gets the ball off on time in 2.5. Anything more and the sack is on Russell. And that line needs to be very good at power run blocking and it especially needs to be CHEAP to afford several extra good defensive players. That was the SB teams' formula. Sounds like Jake Curhan for the win!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":35cfe8h0 said:

Curhan may never develop into a good or excellent pass blocker, or he may, we just don't know that at this point. What we have observed pointed towards a very good run blocker in the making, pass blocking wise, one hopes that he will become a serviceable one as he matures.

sutz

Reaction score
Run blocking is more important in Pete's system, which is based on a strong run game leading to the play action passing attack.

Effective running, like we saw Sunday, gives the QB an extra half a second to read and get the throw out. Russ is just now learning to hang in the pocket longer when it is actually holding up, or to throw the ball away if a play is not there. He blew it on the 39 yard FG last week. He should have given the 2-3 count and thrown the ball out of the endzone instead of spinning and trying for the big TD play. A FG there would have done a lot to closing the door on the game. Conditions were such that you don't make gimme FGs harder.

Curhan looks like he's off to a good start.

:229031_shrug:

nutluck

Reaction score
He looks like a good future RT. It is a small sample size and he needs some more polish, but all signs point to him being a legit long term RT. Assuming he plays that position next year, a full season should let us know for sure. I am optimistic about it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
nutluck":j5zhbv0x said:
He looks like a good future RT. It is a small sample size and he needs some more polish, but all signs point to him being a legit long term RT. Assuming he plays that position next year, a full season should let us know for sure. I am optimistic about it.

Let's just say I never quite feel that way with Ifedi, Curhan inspires a bit more confidence, undrafted or not.

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":269qxtxq said:
nutluck":269qxtxq said:

Let's just say I never quite feel that way with Ifedi, Curhan inspires a bit more confidence, undrafted or not.
It's not about draft position. :mrgreen:

On at least one play he had the DE driven 5 yards down field. I can live with things like that. :snack:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":3vs6fzdl said:
toffee":3vs6fzdl said:
nutluck":3vs6fzdl said:

It's not about draft position. :mrgreen:

On at least one play he had the DE driven 5 yards down field. I can live with things like that. :snack:

Ifedi was pretty strong on run blocking too, but somehow Curhan inspired a bit more confidence. I think he will get stronger now that he is in NFL, and as an unsigned, he needs to work to get his first big pay check.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think you sign Shell or someone similar to a prove-it deal to compete, but Curhan has been very good in his first action, confirming what we saw from him in the preseason. He can be a top-16 right tackle.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
olyfan63":3seqtpv0 said:
pittpnthrs":3seqtpv0 said:
So you're saying Jake Curhan is perfect for a Pete Carroll offensive line and getting the Hawks back to the promised land, the heady days of Alvin Bailey, Michael Bowie, young Russell running for his life, read option, and Super Bowl rings.

Here's a blast from the past:
https://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/10/sea ... ve-to.html

Russell needs an O-Line that can protect him for 2.8 seconds while he gets the ball off on time in 2.5. Anything more and the sack is on Russell. And that line needs to be very good at power run blocking and it especially needs to be CHEAP to afford several extra good defensive players. That was the SB teams' formula. Sounds like Jake Curhan for the win!

Nice opinion piece. What was failed to be mentioned is that Lynch led the league in yards after contact while playing for Seattle so the Oline while he was here wasnt even as good as that blogger mentioned (and he wasnt saying they were good to begin with). Pete doesnt have a Lynch or a young mobile QB anymore. Whats more beneficial at this point, an Oline that can run block or pass block?

Russ has an Oline thats allowing pressure at a rate of 2.1 seconds and thats from the shotgun position. While Russ does hold the ball to long trying to make plays sometimes, a lot of the sacks arent on him. The SB formula was to disregard the Oline (hell thats been the formula since Petes been here) because they had a mobile QB and a RB that could shed tackles and make his own running lanes. Seattle has had a terrible track record of drafting and developing offensive lineman during the Carroll tenure and Wilson is sick of it. So sick of it he had to go public last offseason in hopes something would be done. In typical Pete fashion a band aid was applied instead of a true fix.

Anyways, yes, Jake Curhan is perfect for a Pete Carroll coached team,,,,just another JAG.

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":v998u9wj said:
Run blocking is more important in Pete's system, which is based on a strong run game leading to the play action passing attack.

Effective running, like we saw Sunday, gives the QB an extra half a second to read and get the throw out. Russ is just now learning to hang in the pocket longer when it is actually holding up, or to throw the ball away if a play is not there. He blew it on the 39 yard FG last week. He should have given the 2-3 count and thrown the ball out of the endzone instead of spinning and trying for the big TD play. A FG there would have done a lot to closing the door on the game. Conditions were such that you don't make gimme FGs harder.

Curhan looks like he's off to a good start.

:229031_shrug:

:2thumbs: Five stars for ...... rookie Jake Curhan who certainly made the most of his opportunities. I like his focus and commitment. Looking forward to seeing how he finishes out the season. He works with the methodical focus of a NFL linemen.

Honorable mention, in passing, goes to right guard Gabe Jackson. He glued the right side of that line together. Good veteran leadership in the right spot can pay off.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
We could be a LT and a C with Lewis playing G, or a LT and a G with Lewis playing C, away from a rebuilt OL. Heck, we could keep Poccic at C and just bring in a LT.

a. Curhan - Gabe - New Center - Lewis - New LT
b. Curhan - Gabe - Poccic - Lewis - New LT
c. Curban - Gabe - Lewis - New LG - New LT

I like b, ie keep Poccic

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":2disbnm6 said:
We could be a LT and a C with Lewis playing G, or a LT and a G with Lewis playing C, away from a rebuilt OL. Heck, we could keep Poccic at C and just bring in a LT.

I like b, ie keep Poccic

Pocic has improved. He's adept at making the right calls up front and continues to improve as a blocker.

I now rate him as one of the better players on the offense and a perfectly acceptable starter. Need a Duane replacement. Starting line is fine.

sutz

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ln5itls said:
toffee":3ln5itls said:

I like b, ie keep Poccic

Pocic has improved. He's adept at making the right calls up front and continues to improve as a blocker.

I now rate him as one of the better players on the offense and a perfectly acceptable starter. Need a Duane replacement. Starting line is fine.
Yeah, a lot of negative energy around here in prior years, but IIRC this is only his 3rd or 4th year at Center, which is close to a typical learning curve for OL. Center, especially, is one of the more complex positions on the team.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2eoc44tw said:
toffee":2eoc44tw said:

I like b, ie keep Poccic

Pocic is enjoying a 67.3 on PFF, not great or probowl level, but not too bad either. If he could stay healthy and improve some, he could be quite good. A line of Curban - Gabe - Pocic - Lewis - New LT will be young, good, and even cheap for couple of years.