Jamal Adams whispers

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Curiosity is getting the best of me in terms of thinking how coach Mac would use him.

What say you? Ready.. Set.. Go!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I would be ok with it on a very team friendly deal. I feel like we have enough holes to fill that his presence won’t meaningfully take away opportunities from our new generation of players.

Anything more than vet minimum doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Seahawks. Let’s not waste cap space that can be used to build a contender.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
He can still play downhill but surely most OCs will know he is vulnerable on passes now.

If they’re still talking, I would assume Macdonald could see a certain role for him that nullifies his weaknesses.
His biggest weakness is his ability to stay healthy. How could Macdonald nullify that? Sign him and not play him? We’ve already seen how that looks.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I want Adams back, I want to see him play in roles and on the field with Witherspoon on the same side of the field, I think he could be convinced to be a blitzing/dropping linebacker, I just don't know we can pay him.

keasley45

Reaction score
Its hard to make any concrete assessments of what anyone on that defense last year is/was capable of when you pull back the curtain and see the level of disfunction, confusion and disinterest that was pervasive over the last half of the year. I guarantee you that the players knew that the system and its coaches weren't going to get them anywhere. And in THAT climate, regarldess of how much money you make, you can lose your edge and your desire to commit to the scheme or th eplay the way you should. Failure breeds failure if there's no discernable way to fix things.

As for Jamal, i dont understand what the gripe is with bringing him back if the deal is team friendly. Its not like there's a long list of available FAs who could come in who have remotely the ceiling that Jamal has in terms of instinct and sheer talent. Was KJ ever as fast in his prime as post injury Jamal? I'd say that Jamal now is what KJ was at the combine (4.71). Jamal was 4.51. Jamal with a bum quad has 2 tenths to give up to be as fast as KJ was coming out of college.. So its not like the dude is unserviceable.

And playing coverage at safety in space isnt remotely the same as playing it from the Will position. Not close. Half the coverage busts he was involved in didnt look a whole lot different from the busts every other player in our secondary over the last 2 years have had. There isnt a guy, with the exception of Love and Spoon, who was routinley in the right place.

As to his unwillingness to hit? I dont see that either as much as i saw a guy likely not 100% from a catastrophic leg injury. If anything, he was trying TOO hard at times to make the hit early in his comeback last year and then at some point, like Diggs, Riq, Burns... again, like MOST of the D, he seemed out of sync. But is that a statement on his desire to play the game the way he always has? I dont think so. But that's my opinion.

If the coaches see him as a good fit, get him on a reasonable 'prove it' type deal and see what he can do in Mike's scheme.

Its Jamal Adams vs THESE guys. Jamal is 28, BTW

Bud Dupree, OLB, Falcons. Age: 31.
Marquis Haynes, OLB, Panthers. Age: 30.
Markus Golden, OLB, Steelers. Age: 33.
Tyus Bowser, OLB, Ravens. Age: 29.
Anthony Barr, OLB, Vikings. Age: 32.
Bruce Irvin, OLB, Dolphins. Age: 36.

Of that list, Dupree is the best option, but the dude is way beyond peak. Granted, its not a complete list of EVERYONE the team can get, but they were considered the best of the rest after FA this year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Its hard to make any concrete assessments of what anyone on that defense last year is/was capable of when you pull back the curtain and see the level of disfunction, confusion and disinterest that was pervasive over the last half of the year. I guarantee you that the players knew that the system and its coaches weren't going to get them anywhere. And in THAT climate, regarldess of how much money you make, you can lose your edge and your desire to commit to the scheme or th eplay the way you should. Failure breeds failure if there's no discernable way to fix things.

As for Jamal, i dont understand what the gripe is with bringing him back if the deal is team friendly. Its not like there's a long list of available FAs who could come in who have remotely the ceiling that Jamal has in terms of instinct and sheer talent. Was KJ ever as fast in his prime as post injury Jamal? I'd say that Jamal now is what KJ was at the combine (4.71). Jamal was 4.51. Jamal with a bum quad has 2 tenths to give up to be as fast as KJ was coming out of college.. So its not like the dude is unserviceable.

And playing coverage at safety in space isnt remotely the same as playing it from the Will position. Not close. Half the coverage busts he was involved in didnt look a whole lot different from the busts every other player in our secondary over the last 2 years have had. There isnt a guy, with the exception of Love and Spoon, who was routinley in the right place.

As to his unwillingness to hit? I dont see that either as much as i saw a guy likely not 100% from a catastrophic leg injury. If anything, he was trying TOO hard at times to make the hit early in his comeback last year and then at some point, like Diggs, Riq, Burns... again, like MOST of the D, he seemed out of sync. But is that a statement on his desire to play the game the way he always has? I dont think so. But that's my opinion.

If the coaches see him as a good fit, get him on a reasonable 'prove it' type deal and see what he can do in Mike's scheme.

Its Jamal Adams vs THESE guys. Jamal is 28, BTW

Bud Dupree, OLB, Falcons. Age: 31.
Marquis Haynes, OLB, Panthers. Age: 30.
Markus Golden, OLB, Steelers. Age: 33.
Tyus Bowser, OLB, Ravens. Age: 29.
Anthony Barr, OLB, Vikings. Age: 32.
Bruce Irvin, OLB, Dolphins. Age: 36.

Of that list, Dupree is the best option, but the dude is way beyond peak. Granted, its not a complete list of EVERYONE the team can get, but they were considered the best of the rest after FA this year.
Just a great post, all around.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I think we'd all like to see a healthy, happy, stable, motivated Jamaal Adams. At this point, what's the chance of that being a reality?

RiverDog

Reaction score
1. He's a liability in pass coverage.

2. His multiple injuries have resulted in a tentative player who, like any other human being, shies away from contact, meaning that he's not a run stopper.

3. His one strength, rushing the quarterback, comes at an expense as it leaves the secondary a man short in coverage.

4. Adams hasn't had a QB sack since December of 2021, and it's not all due to is being injured. Teams adjusted to account for him when he threatened the LOS.

5. He's not a ball hawk.

6. He does not play on special teams.

There are only 53 roster spots. I would much rather give that spot to an unknown, young up and coming player and give him an opportunity than I would a has been like Jamal Adams.

Oh, and I forgot #7. I can't stand the son-of-a-bitch.

Scout

Reaction score
Okay so if they plan on bringing him back on the weakside that means he has to beat out Jerome Baker who I have projected as the weakside starting ILB.

Adams is a better blitzer than Baker whether he is going up the A gap or come screaming off the D gap.

But Baker has a better feel in zone coverage and also Baker is able to navigate the wash better. Adams has undeniable instincts in the run game.

But if you want a player that is overall better on three downs Baker wins. Adams seems to me very limited as an A gap blitzer for third and long situations.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm kind of tired of the guy, but that feeling can go away pretty quickly if, were the team to bring him back on an affordable deal to see if he can still contribute, he plays like an animal and doesn't need "fragile" stickers plastered on his uniform.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Curiosity is getting the best of me in terms of thinking how coach Mac would use him.

What say you? Ready.. Set.. Go!

So...he can't cover in space but we'll use him to cover C-Mac out of the backfield twice a year or more...got it.

Latest posts