Jamal, Quandre & Dissly Released!!!

QWERTY

Reaction score
Love Tyler and everything he's been and meant to the 'Hawks during his time here. At 17M this season, it's borderline, but I say keep him. He always seems to make the clutch catch. Sure, he protects his body rather than sacrificing his body for an extra yard or two AFTER the first down has been reached. Seeing his small frame next to a linebacker frame, it's not hard to see why. Recall when he got the broken leg, I think it was against the Rams. We missed Tyler badly during that time.

This team ain't going to the playoffs or will be a contender next season.

Think about it.

Missing 3 starting LB. 1 Starting Safety and 1 Expensive DT.

Also on the other side

We don't have 3 of our TE, 2 Guards and a Center.

As I said this is basically a rebuild-restart. Seahawks have what 30mill in cap? And you have to believe 8 mill is used for Rookie contracts? Might as well take the Lockett's dead cap by releasing him, and try to trade DK.

As for Geno, I said before he can either be traded or maybe he was given an contract extension with guaranteed roster money because of that 1 year when he won that CPOY. Remember Diggs played lights out and gave everything he did and got injured? PC/JS rewarded him with a 3 year deal.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I have been advocating to trade Lockett for the past two seasons, we could have gotten more 2 years ago, but it is what it is. Now, we would be lucky to get a 4th, or anything at all. Frankly, Lockett has been ready to move on, he got his real estate license and has been actively seeking clients, we need hungrier players, not someone making business decisions before the ball's snapped.

Trading Lockett in previous seasons would not have worked because of the dead money, which increased when the Seahawks got him to make changes to his contract multiple times (converting salary to signing bonus to spread out the cap hits). With the dead money, trading him in previous seasons would not have reduced his cap hit much or might even have increased his cap hit.

Even this season, if he's traded, his 2024 cap number for the Seahawks will still be $20M. If the Seahawks were desperate for cap space like the Chargers and Saints, such a move might make some sense. But because the Seahawks just announced the releases of Adams, Diggs, and Dissly, they're about to be in the top half of the league in available cap space.

Lockett is extremely likely to be worth more than the $7M cap savings the Seahawks would get by cutting him this offseason.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Will certainly will land on his feet. And I'd be willing to bet this could be the best thing to ever happen to his career. We never targeted him enough. And when we did, he caught those balls then carried a would-be tackler for several yards after catch...and he's a lethal blocker.

I like Grubb, but at the Dub, he didn't know how to use our excellent TEs either. Westover had incredible hands, carried tacklers but was seldom targeted. He should have been a household name (league wide). Culp? The guy was and is an absolute freak of nature. had a few drops early in his career but worked that out. His nickname should be "Big play" Culp. Caught most everything thrown his way in '24....so Grubb stopped throwing to him. It was maddening. I hope both of these guys find offenses that will utilize their tremendous talents. And I also hope we can restructure Will, but he won't shine under Grubb. At 27, he'd be wiser to go elsewhere.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Will certainly will land on his feet. And I'd be willing to bet this could be the best thing to ever happen to his career. We never targeted him enough. And when we did, he caught those balls then carried a would-be tackler for several yards after catch...and he's a lethal blocker.

I like Grubb, but at the Dub, he didn't know how to use our excellent TEs either. Westover had incredible hands, carried tacklers but was seldom targeted. He should have been a household name (league wide). Culp? The guy was and is an absolute freak of nature. had a few drops early in his career but worked that out. His nickname should be "Big play" Culp. Caught most everything thrown his way in '24....so Grubb stopped throwing to him. It was maddening. I hope both of these guys find offenses that will utilize their tremendous talents. And I also hope we can restructure Will, but he won't shine under Grubb. At 27, he'd be wiser to go elsewhere.
Availability is key and Will wasn't nearly available enough for that ridiculous contract his talent was never the issue next please let him him be someone else's disappointment. TE is a tough position and like any position in football availabilitiy is the most important quality. For 2-3 million? Sure go ahead and resign him otherwise just draft someone else. Besides the less of Pete's guys the better.

Rat

Reaction score
Hamlin's fight happened in October - if that's any consolation! I think he only played 4 or 5 games that year and was released after. Which means we had a full 3 months to find a replacement.
I know Pruitt wasn't a direct replacement, but Hamlin's off-field injury suddenly made us vulnerable to future injuries, and when that happened at the worst possible time (Manuel), Pruitt was suddenly thrown into more responsibility than he was qualified to handle. I imagine if Manuel had gotten hurt like week 16 or something, we probably would have gone after a more veteran player. I don't remember who was available.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This team ain't going to the playoffs or will be a contender next season.

Think about it.

Missing 3 starting LB. 1 Starting Safety and 1 Expensive DT.

Also on the other side

We don't have 3 of our TE, 2 Guards and a Center.

As I said this is basically a rebuild-restart. Seahawks have what 30mill in cap? And you have to believe 8 mill is used for Rookie contracts? Might as well take the Lockett's dead cap by releasing him, and try to trade DK.

As for Geno, I said before he can either be traded or maybe he was given an contract extension with guaranteed roster money because of that 1 year when he won that CPOY. Remember Diggs played lights out and gave everything he did and got injured? PC/JS rewarded him with a 3 year deal.
Lagartixa posted in this thread that the actual cap savings from cutting Tyler this season would be $7M. For a net of $7M I'm keeping Tyler. I don't necessarily disagree with your prognosis for the team, though I think (hope?) another 9-8 type season is possible. We've released a number of overpaid players already. A huge part of Pete's "Winning Model" in 2012-2014 was having tons of players massively overperforming their contracts, including a cheap QB. It looks like JS is trying to get back to that and MikeMac is on board. Tyler at a net of $7M is fairly paid IMO, as opposed to overpaid.

flv2

Reaction score
Lagartixa posted in this thread that the actual cap savings from cutting Tyler this season would be $7M. For a net of $7M I'm keeping Tyler. I don't necessarily disagree with your prognosis for the team, though I think (hope?) another 9-8 type season is possible. We've released a number of overpaid players already. A huge part of Pete's "Winning Model" in 2012-2014 was having tons of players massively overperforming their contracts, including a cheap QB. It looks like JS is trying to get back to that and MikeMac is on board. Tyler at a net of $7M is fairly paid IMO, as opposed to overpaid.
It's not strictly $7M. The $9.895M dead money scheduled for 2025 still has to be accounted for. It's merely whether it's in 2024 or 2025. Lockett is going to cost $17M, and that's what would be saved. Technically the benefit would be $7.105M this year and $9.895M next year, but it's still $17M. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be cut but the conversation should be based on the true cost. If the the Seahawks were really desperate for 2024 cap space they would have converted Smith's salary into a signing bonus rather than just his roster bonus. That they didn't is a clear indication that current year cap space isn't an issue.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's not strictly $7M. The $9.895M dead money scheduled for 2025 still has to be accounted for. It's merely whether it's in 2024 or 2025. Lockett is going to cost $17M, and that's what would be saved. Technically the benefit would be $7.105M this year and $9.895M next year, but it's still $17M. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be cut but the conversation should be based on the true cost. If the the Seahawks were really desperate for 2024 cap space they would have converted Smith's salary into a signing bonus rather than just his roster bonus. That they didn't is a clear indication that current year cap space isn't an issue.
This salary cap stuff gets so confusing... so releasing Lockett would save $7M against the cap this season and then save roughly $10M more next year? Final answer?

Jville

Reaction score
This salary cap stuff gets so confusing... so releasing Lockett would save $7M against the cap this season and then save roughly $10M more next year? Final answer?

Perhaps the following will help.

A visualization from Over The Cap calculator .............

flv2

Reaction score
Yes, If you cut someone due a non-guaranteed $17M you save $17M. You may not get the full benefit in the current year because of dead money. but you will get it all over 2 seasons.