Jamal, Quandre & Dissly Released!!!

JPatera76

Reaction score
The hawks released both starting safeties. Yes I understand that one can't stay healthy and one plays average.

But if you re-signed Williams, and get Nwosu back, and maybe get another DT, NT by Williams, (Someone like Turner, Verse, Latu, Murphy, Chop) It will at least help our safeties and cornerbacks a lot. Applying pressure to the QB, giving him less time will always help the secondary.

Also, they have no tight ends on roster.

I think they just want to play out the contracts of Geno, Dremont Jones, Lockett. And all 3 of them will be gone next season.

It looks like a reset and it is a reset.
Pure speculation and it's your opinion. and being it's YOUR OPINION doesn't make it a fact.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sweet! Not Uncle Will though, I think he can be utilized better and hope he comes back. As for the other two...

BUH BYE
too funny i was gonna do the EXACT same BUH BYE thing -

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Lockett may be next. No way the team will pay him 27 mil for the upcoming season. Renegotiate or he is gone. Like Dissly. You may see Tyler cut at the hopes of renegotiation
wouldn't bother me. time for a refresh. and some ******* YAC.

I hope BigMac reinstates the 'always compete' mantra, and not just lip service.

Lockett could go. I'll take some heat for it, but I don't like the attitude, and haven't for 2 seasons now.

Blow the whole thing up and get hungry, lean, and mean. Any defensive player that was 'jogging' to the line in the last 3 games - cut that mofo and start over.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
About the Dissly release. Are the Seahawks the worst team in the NFL at using the tight end position? I’m wondering if that is true.
we have been, contrary to the OC's plan 2 years ago.

here's hoping that changes.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Absorbing as much dead cap space was the right thing to do for the long term and it’s what I wanted them to do. I figured it would have been a two year process but it’s seems like they wanted it settled ASAP.

The timing on Dissly was funny though, because it came after CJ Uzomah was released from the Jets. So keep an eye on his name, he’s more of a big blocking TE (6’6, 271) than a viable pass-catcher at this point and has ties to our new TE coach.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Diggs played well enough near the end of the season that I wouldn't hate to see him back on a friendlier deal.

As for Jamal? Thanks for the memories. As a safety, I will hold you in the same lore I do other Seahawks legends such as Terreal Bierria, Brian Russell, and Tedric Thompson. Best in the Nation!
thanks for the memories? 'both of them?' - i mean jesus has any other player in hawks history missed that many games?

probably - but still

toffee

Reaction score
wouldn't bother me. time for a refresh. and some ******* YAC.

I hope BigMac reinstates the 'always compete' mantra, and not just lip service.

Lockett could go. I'll take some heat for it, but I don't like the attitude, and haven't for 2 seasons now.

Blow the whole thing up and get hungry, lean, and mean. Any defensive player that was 'jogging' to the line in the last 3 games - cut that mofo and start over.
I have been advocating to trade Lockett for the past two seasons, we could have gotten more 2 years ago, but it is what it is. Now, we would be lucky to get a 4th, or anything at all. Frankly, Lockett has been ready to move on, he got his real estate license and has been actively seeking clients, we need hungrier players, not someone making business decisions before the ball's snapped.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
Let's not lump Tyler Lockett in with Adams and Diggs. Lockett's cap hit and the amounts due to him are mainly the result of his willingness to rework his contract in previous years to solve cap problems for the benefit of the team. The $27 million cap hit does not reflect how much he is actually getting paid this year. Nor will releasing or trading him get rid of the cap hit. There are a few things that can still be done to alleviate his cap hit a little, but the options are limited. This is merely a result of the Seahawks kicking the can down the road, and not a situation created by Lockett.
Agree. His 2024 salary is $15.3M and the rest is dead money pushed forward from prior years.

The question is do you think his projected production can be replaced by a draft pick (lots of outstanding WRs this year) or a free agent at half the price?

There's only 2 WRs on the field in 12 or 21 groups - DK/JSN. Bobo needs snap. Young needs snaps. Why take their snaps? 25% snaps for each of the WR3 sounds about right.

$15.3M for 25% of WR3 snaps is just too much to pay.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
Lockett is due $17M. He has a $1.7M roster bonus in addition to his $15.3M salary. Originally Spotrac showed him having a higher total due to his reaching a performance target. OTC had him at $17M and Spotrac had him at $17.95M. Both currently show him at $17M.

It's fair to question what he'll be worth to the team in 2024. The 13%+ increase in the salary cap will inflate 2024 values for difference making players.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
In my opinion, we released the guys at a area that we have depth at. We still have alot DBs. Coby Bryant can play safety for one year along side love to see if he can play well. Reed can also have some snaps depending on how well he recovered from his injury. As far as Will. He has been hurt but was ok when healthy but definitely not worth the money he was making. These releases are not going to make us any worse as a team. This is a big plus for the HAWKS.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
With all the dead money.

This team is tanking.
Dead money doesn't mean the team is tanking. It doesn't make sense to take on dead cap for Diggs and Dissly if you just want to tank. Their contracts literally end next year, we could have just rode their contracts out or offered them as trade bait with the condition that we'd pay their 2024 salaries to whoever took them off our hands for a 6th or 7th rounder this year or next. Somebody would take a flier on Diggs for vet minimum. Who cares about 2024 cap space if we're tanking?

We removed guys who, for various reasons, had contracts that weren't commensurate with their performance and created space to sign other guys this year. Cap space doesn't play football. We don't need to clear out cap room for a season we plan to lose and we've just moved into the upper half of teams for 2024 cap space.

None of our other moves this off-season (so far) indicate the plan is to tank. I mean, crazy things could happen when free agency opens or we do some nutso stuff during the draft but we've indicated nothing but the plan is to compete in 2024 to this point.

bileever

Reaction score
Agree. His 2024 salary is $15.3M and the rest is dead money pushed forward from prior years.

The question is do you think his projected production can be replaced by a draft pick (lots of outstanding WRs this year) or a free agent at half the price?

There's only 2 WRs on the field in 12 or 21 groups - DK/JSN. Bobo needs snap. Young needs snaps. Why take their snaps? 25% snaps for each of the WR3 sounds about right.

$15.3M for 25% of WR3 snaps is just too much to pay.
I hear what you're saying, but isn't it true that the dead cap hit would still apply even if we trade or cut Lockett? (I don't know the answer, but I thought someone had said this.) If we have to take a dead cap hit of $20 million, it would make no sense to get rid of him.

Scout

Reaction score
The Hawks have youth in the front seven and the boundaries. You could flex some of the boundary CBs to play Safety full time but I think it is better to hit the reset button at that spot and start over from a cap stand point.

But you have Bryant, Love and Reed so that is a much better starting point than most teams when they hit the reset button.

The safety position was too top heavy in terms of cap resources and we discussed this last off season before they drafted Reed leading up to the draft.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
With all the dead money.

This team is tanking.
What difference does it make? If it’s now or later. Bottom line though the more you dead cap eat now, the quicker you become fatter in space. Also, plenty of teams remove their aging or oft-injured players that aren’t worth their weight in gold. Isn’t it just the nature of the NFL. If they want to be competitive now, they’ll figure out a way. It doesn’t really change things especially with players that were heavily expected to be cut.

But I’ll say it does make sense long-term to have another draft with premium draft position (top 10) and then a lot more functional cap space to work with in the future. Do you really want another shot in the dark roster of just being around good enough or a quality one that can be sustainably competitive long-term?

flv2

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but isn't it true that the dead cap hit would still apply even if we trade or cut Lockett? (I don't know the answer, but I thought someone had said this.) If we have to take a dead cap hit of $20 million, it would make no sense to get rid of him.

There is $9.895M that the Seahawks are accounting for this year. There is another $9.895M scheduled to be accounted for next year. With a straight cut the future hit would accelerate into the 2024 cap. With a Post Jun 1 designation all post 2024 dead money would be accounted for in 2025, (in this case as originally scheduled). If he's cut it wouldn't make sense to bring the hit forward. Delaying a cap hit is effectively borrowing money from a future year's cap at 0% interest. It doesn't cost or save anything. Also it doesn't mean you have to spend the money, but it gives you the cap equivalent of cash flow flexibility.

Edit: The issue with Post Jun1 designations is you have to account for current year salary and bonus until Jun 1. In the short-term the Seahawks would be worse off by using it as opposed to a straight cut. This is why Adams was straight cut rather than cut post Jun 1. If the Seahawks were to cut Lockett they'd need to decide when they needed the cap benefit.

Last edited: