Jarran Reed and who else?

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2gybpqvc said:
BlueBlood":2gybpqvc said:
Itd be nice to say someone on the offense was really standing out and surprising us but so far nada.

There is...his name is Chris Carson but now he's injured.

Sure, but I'd say an no point during the regular season has the running game really gotten off the ground the way we would like.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
kobebryant":2tyjqdns said:
BlueBlood":2tyjqdns said:
Itd be nice to say someone on the offense was really standing out and surprising us but so far nada.

If we're grading on a curve Joeckel is playing better than anyone has in that position in a while; Ifedi improves every week.

Ya I can get down with that, there is some improvement as the season has wore on. Winning in LAR with the Oline gives us hope if nothing else.

Id really like to see either Lockett or Richardson explode.

chris98251

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1mtulgtf said:
kobebryant":1mtulgtf said:
BlueBlood":1mtulgtf said:

If we're grading on a curve Joeckel is playing better than anyone has in that position in a while; Ifedi improves every week.

Ya I can get down with that, there is some improvement as the season has wore on. Winning in LAR with the Oline gives us hope if nothing else.

Id really like to see either Lockett or Richardson explode.

That's been the problem with their legs.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31ygeufa said:
Reed still needs to be more consistent against the run. But in pure passing downs? He's been great at helping collapse the pocket.

As far as guys who aren't getting enough credit, my votes go to Griffin and Coleman. Griffin slid over to full time outside DB with no drop in play, and is even playing BETTER than Lane was.......and Coleman's played great in the slot.

Fully agree, and as they get better we will not only see more picks, but start to force coverage sacks again.

The biggest weakness I think we need to address on D are the short passes in linebacker zone holes. You will never be able to stop all of them, but we have had an issue here for a few years allowing offenses to move up the field and tire out the D. It's a tough one I don't have an answer for, but I see it as 60 to 70% coaching and scheme and the other execution

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've been impressed with Nazair Jones.

He's physically imposing, has shown a lot of polish, and has some good counter moves and uses his hands much better than most rookies do. The guy can play the run and the pass equally well, and he was never known as much of a pass rusher in college. It's rare a guy shows to be more explosive in the NFL than in college. Jones is much quicker than his college tape showed.

If McDowell comes back, we're going to have some interesting decisions to make.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Reed with 7 solo tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss... run defense has been vastly improved as well

:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: :drool:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":15sdvxfh said:
hawkfan68":15sdvxfh said:
Sheldon Richardson. He has elevated the play of those around like Jarran Reed, Naz Jones, etc. That impact that Richardson provides is underrated, not the player himself. Everyone knew he was a great player. The ability to make those around them better is unique and Sheldon has that.

This can not be overstated. SR is eating a lot of double teams along with Bennett which has allowed Reed to be more productive in the pass rush as well as continuing to be an effective anchor. The part that is amazing is how well Richardson has played despite being constantly doubled.

Agreed. Richardson has been everything I thought he would be for us. He's had the exact impact I envisioned.

This team really reloaded our DL amazingly. It remains to be seen if SR gets resigned. But if we do retain him, we've pretty much loaded up this position group about 2 deep with guys that are 20-26 years of age.

Adding Richardson, Jones and Marcus Smith was huge.

Should McDowell recover and play, that would be a massive wild card for us. At this point, the DL is already top 3 in the league.

Reed is improved as most 2nd year pros are prone to do. Clark is a budding star. If Seattle keeps SR, the succession plan for the post Mebane/Bennett/Avril era is pretty much complete. That is no small feat. In fact that's pretty amazing.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I'm worried about edge pass rush with Avril possibly done for his career.

Clark has made some plays this year for sure but his outside rush is not close to be as consistently good as Avril's.

Branden Jackson and Marcus Smith are showing promise... our hopes for this season ride on them. Even if they continue to impress I'd love to see the Hawks add an explosive edge rusher in the offseason. You really need three of these if you expect to be a championship-caliber team.

If we can sign Richardson we are looking very good at DT with him, Reed, and Jones. If McDowell can come back and be productive even better.