Jazz Ferguson to be cut

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":33vgoodu said:
Came into camp fat and had some egregious drops. I'd say he is PS material rather than 53 for now. Guy like Terry Wright deserves the spot more.

And with that statement i'm out . We still have DK hopefully we won't need Jazz.

getnasty

Reaction score
I can't think of a preseason star that has been cut that turned out to be a stud under Pete and John.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
getnasty":27dp7t22 said:
I can't think of a preseason star that has been cut that turned out to be a stud under Pete and John.

Neither can I and that's the best argument I've heard on the matter. Now i'm out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":19ohl0ly said:
Wouldn't be shocked to see another cut come in. Doctson and Treadwell in danger. Treadwell caught the eye for the Vikes.

This may be the case... a little bit more of a "vet" for the group

sutz

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":avvt9ubg said:
Came into camp fat and had some egregious drops. I'd say he is PS material rather than 53 for now. Guy like Terry Wright deserves the spot more.
I have to agree with this. I love the kid and hoped he stayed, but over all 4 games of pre, he got outplayed. I can't say that he was one of the best 5/6 WRs we had on roster. If it came down to him or Ursua, they made the right choice IMO.

Would love if he made our practice squad, but if he gets claimed, c'est la vie.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1qy3miht said:
Northwest Seahawk":1qy3miht said:
Thepeelsessions":1qy3miht said:
Why do I always hear that Pete loves and covets big WRs? Outside of Rice and Mike Williams, the biggest WR that's had any sort of production during Pete's tenure has been Kearse. Pete has almost always targeted the smaller guys. Lockett, Doug, Percy, Richardson, etc.

I'm over it I just hope he doesn't land in the NFC West actually maybe he should Pete and John have been very pig headed about the Jazz VS Jennings decision.

I honestly would like to see him picked up. I hope he gets a shot on a 53 man roster. I don't care for who, either. He was arguably the most impressive receiver, all things considered, outside of the locked in positions, DK included (I'd also take him over Jaron any day). As much as I love the Hawks, this is a move I hope comes back on them.

You hope our front office was wrong? Over an undrafted WR who has great potential but hasn’t shown enough? Lol

Let’s have an honest debate of the facts. What did he show that was so mind blowing? Who did he win matchups against?

His scouting report highlighted the fact that he tends to have “focus drops.” Inexplicably, routine drive killing drops. It also highlighted that he sometimes relies on his size more than technique. Brandon Marshall played well in the preseason too. And ultimately made the team. But was effectively gone by week 3 because of drops, despite his veteran presence.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":2jw43m1u said:
Maelstrom787":2jw43m1u said:
I have to agree with this. I love the kid and hoped he stayed, but over all 4 games of pre, he got outplayed. I can't say that he was one of the best 5/6 WRs we had on roster. If it came down to him or Ursua, they made the right choice IMO.

Would love if he made our practice squad, but if he gets claimed, c'est la vie.
Outplayed by who though? You can't tell me it was by Jennings, Reynolds, Wright, Turner, or even Ursua (not a knock on him, I love me some John Ursua also). Jazz was arguably the most productive WR fighting for a spot throughout scrimmages and games.

GLio14

Reaction score
Jaron Brown gets cut. Makes cutting Jazz even more of a head scratcher.

jmahon316

Reaction score
GLio14":2kn383y1 said:

I was literally about to post this. Not sure what's going on in the WR department right now

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Scorpion05":10xjw5ij said:
Thepeelsessions":10xjw5ij said:
Northwest Seahawk":10xjw5ij said:
Thepeelsessions":10xjw5ij said:
Why do I always hear that Pete loves and covets big WRs? Outside of Rice and Mike Williams, the biggest WR that's had any sort of production during Pete's tenure has been Kearse. Pete has almost always targeted the smaller guys. Lockett, Doug, Percy, Richardson, etc.

I'm over it I just hope he doesn't land in the NFC West actually maybe he should Pete and John have been very pig headed about the Jazz VS Jennings decision.

I honestly would like to see him picked up. I hope he gets a shot on a 53 man roster. I don't care for who, either. He was arguably the most impressive receiver, all things considered, outside of the locked in positions, DK included (I'd also take him over Jaron any day). As much as I love the Hawks, this is a move I hope comes back on them.

You hope our front office was wrong? Over an undrafted WR who has great potential but hasn’t shown enough? Lol

Let’s have an honest debate of the facts. What did he show that was so mind blowing? Who did he win matchups against?

His scouting report highlighted the fact that he tends to have “focus drops.” Inexplicably, routine drive killing drops. It also highlighted that he sometimes relies on his size more than technique. Brandon Marshall played well in the preseason too. And ultimately made the team. But was effectively gone by week 3 because of drops, despite his veteran presence.
Yes, I do. They were wrong in keeping Janikowski over Myers last season for "monetary reasons". There is no denying this FO makes head scratching decisions on cut down day every year.

Let's debate this then. I'm not even taking into account who he went up against, because every other WR he was competing with was going up against the same defensive units. Yes, he showed up to minicamp overweight, but Pete challenged him and he met the challenge. He vastly outperformed every WR he was competing with for a spot, even outside of the games.

Honestly, tell me with a straight face who you would rather keep over Ferguson. Reynolds? Wright? Jennings? A case could be made for Turner because of his special teams value, but other than that?

WRs that big and that fast who run pretty clean routes and show separation, who can win 50-50 balls....Those guys are hard to find.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":sao423v3 said:
Scorpion05":sao423v3 said:
Thepeelsessions":sao423v3 said:
Northwest Seahawk":sao423v3 said:

Yes, I do. They were wrong in keeping Janikowski over Myers last season for "monetary reasons". There is no denying this FO makes head scratching decisions on cut down day every year.

Let's debate this then. I'm not even taking into account who he went up against, because every other WR he was competing with was going up against the same defensive units. Yes, he showed up to minicamp overweight, but Pete challenged him and he met the challenge. He vastly outperformed every WR he was competing with for a spot, even outside of the games.

Honestly, tell me with a straight face who you would rather keep over Ferguson. Reynolds? Wright? Jennings? A case could be made for Turner because of his special teams value, but other than that?

WRs that big and that fast who run pretty clean routes and show separation, who can win 50-50 balls....Those guys are hard to find.

Except he’s not a wide receiver who runs pretty clean routes and show consistent separation. If he was, then as often as he was forced the ball he would have better options.

Janikowski vs Meyers? Our cap situation was different, and we wanted experience. Janikowski was injured at different parts of the season, but it’s completely disingenuous to suggest after the fact that we should have chosen Meyers. That would have changed so many things not only contract wise, but during the season as well if Meyers didn’t do well here. Kickers perform differently for different teams/stadiums.

You’re asking me if Jazz “outperformed” Ursua and Jennings, which tells me you’re not even attempting to think like a coach at all. Coaches don’t care about that flashy TD you had during preseason against a cornerback that was cut. They notice when, for example Jennings is open but Paxton or Geno missed them. They look at that receiver’s fundamentals. They think about how players fit within a scheme.

Your argument seems to be “he’s big, and he’s fast, and he made some preseason catches!” Rosters are not made from just highlights. I wish Jazz the best but this outrage over his cut seems emotional rather than logical

McGruff

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":frnbcvx0 said:
getnasty":frnbcvx0 said:

Neither can I and that's the best argument I've heard on the matter. Now i'm out.

Pierre Desir is the most glaring.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3pddi4ip said:
Thepeelsessions":3pddi4ip said:
Thepeelsessions":3pddi4ip said:

Except he’s not a wide receiver who runs pretty clean routes and show consistent separation. If he was, then as often as he was forced the ball he would have better options.

Janikowski vs Meyers? Our cap situation was different, and we wanted experience. Janikowski was injured at different parts of the season, but it’s completely disingenuous to suggest after the fact that we should have chosen Meyers. That would have changed so many things not only contract wise, but during the season as well if Meyers didn’t do well here. Kickers perform differently for different teams/stadiums.

You’re asking me if Jazz “outperformed” Ursua and Jennings, which tells me you’re not even attempting to think like a coach at all. Coaches don’t care about that flashy TD you had during preseason against a cornerback that was cut. They notice when, for example Jennings is open but Paxton or Geno missed them. They look at that receiver’s fundamentals. They think about how players fit within a scheme.

Your argument seems to be “he’s big, and he’s fast, and he made some preseason catches!” Rosters are not made from just highlights. I wish Jazz the best but this outrage over his cut seems emotional rather than logical

I never said he gets consistent separation, just to clear that up. And yes, he is a good route runner for his size.

How the hell is the Myers vs Janikowski argument disingenuous to bring up now or during the last season? It was obvious during camp last year Myers was the better option. Most everyone knew it was a mistake. The decision was made before the end of preseason which made it even more moronic.

Come on man, Jennings was reportedly struggling with everything during TC (from more than one observer) and that carried over into the preseason. He struggled going against backup DBs, go back and watch the games. He made more than a few blatantly boneheaded penalties on ST. Jennings has a very, VERY long way to go.

Your argument seems to be “he’s big, and he’s fast, and he made some preseason catches!"

That's not what I said at all.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Every year we have a Kiero Small, Troymaine Pope, Kasen Williams...add Ferguson tot he list. He likely catches on somewhere but then disappears. Its pre season...means nothing.

Fade

Reaction score
I'm sure there is attitude, off the field concerns at play here, that I have been explaining in the various WR threads.

I will be super happy if Terry Wright makes the team though, I really like that kid's game.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":1mjyt8en said:

Spencer Ware ?

McGruff

Reaction score
chris98251":3f3to612 said:
getnasty":3f3to612 said:

Spencer Ware ?

Ware looked distinctly average for us.

So much so we talked about converting him to FB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is an interesting take Cyrus but cutting Pope that year likely cost us 2 games.

Just because they do something every year does not mean it is smart.

Almost every other year we trade for or sign a high priced FA that rarely works out.

Jazz is a better fit for this team than Jennings, who will not really amount to anything on this team anyway. But I kind of expected it, and considering the move for Clowney - it does not make too much sense to complain about the FO today even if they keep JAG Jennings.

Still we might be able to get Jazz on the PS, and let him earn his way back to the team. At least they did not cut Ursua.

chris98251

Reaction score
They had better sign him back, Brown cut, DK dinged and Moore with a broken shoulder, they are wagering who gets resigned and who can pass waivers and gambling, Doss in Oakland also cut who showed up big every where on the field also but was also a UDFA.

Would have cut Jennings and let him go through waivers myself.

The Breh

Reaction score
GLio14":28ko0p7x said:
Sounds like Marsh and Brown were financial decisions to have flexibility bringing in Clowney. Not to mention the obvious, which turned into a 2 bird one stone, Mingo. Who came with a pricetag and was gonna be cut anyway.